Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
rifle season opens this coming weekend and it sure seems the rut will still be in full bore. looking forward to decent movement/activity, i just hope something graces me with its presence. to all my fellow Missouri hunters good luck this weekend and by all means be safe.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 11/07/17.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am not a Missourian...but I will be there. I live in Oklahoma, but have been hunting the opening weekend in St. Clair County for most of my life. This is my favorite weekend of the year...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
I am not a Missourian...but I will be there. I live in Oklahoma, but have been hunting the opening weekend in St. Clair County for most of my life. This is my favorite weekend of the year...

Same here- Kansas resident, but hunt MO every year. I'll be hunting the Lamine River Conservation area in Morgan County. I've had good luck there in years past.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I'll be hunting on my property the first half of the season, and then going to Kirksville area for the second half. Been travelling up there to hunt for 19 or 20 years.

I plan to hunt with my .223 and my granddad's m94 30-30 at home, and then my 257 Roberts in north MO.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by davet
I'll be hunting on my property the first half of the season, and then going to Kirksville area for the second half. Been travelling up there to hunt for 19 or 20 years.

I plan to hunt with my .223 and my granddad's m94 30-30 at home, and then my 257 Roberts in north MO.

where abouts is home? kirksville has some big deer! I'll be in the Owensville area myself.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Public land for me all season. The farmer north of Hannibal who let me hunt sold all his land this year. If it's brown it's down!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good luck from Nebraska, Jim.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You hit Stone Hill while you're in the area?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
ill be on my farm in Callaway with member HUGH.

stonehill is 20 mins. from my farm

FJB
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by diamondjim
You hit Stone Hill while you're in the area?

Not during deer season. And to be honest, I’m more of a Napa guy!

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Macon county will be a hot spot for hunters again this year. I'm ready

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
what part? had a farm north of new cambria

FJB
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wife and I will be splitting time between our home place in southern Boone, and our farm in Moniteau county. We've been disappointed in what we've seen on trail cams and while bow hunting. Our best was a really nice (wide and tall) 9 pointer that we believe got killed on Hwy 63 which borders our home place. Hoping for a rut surprise - they happen. Be safe and shoot straight to all.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by davet

where abouts is home? kirksville has some big deer! I'll be in the Owensville area myself.

I own land near Lone Jack, east of KC Metro area. I plan to drop a doe asap, and then shoot as many coyotes as I can for 3-4 days. This year the coyote population has been ridiculous. I hear 3 different packs from my patio every night.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
packing up tonight, leave first thing tomorrow morning. my son has wrestling practice sat morning and wont be joining me until the afternoon by which time i hope to have something hanging from a tree to rub in his face.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m headed up to hunt in the northwestern part of the state. Hope the deer herd has rebounded. Love hunting in the Show Me State!

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Planning to kill a Boone and Crockett buck in Daviess county. Or maybe not. Good Luck

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I almost got run over by the biggest doe I've ever seen in my life while bird hunting in Daviess county. Got within about 5 feet of me and I had to say "hey" before she knew I was there. Big deer in that part of the state.

Last edited by bludog; 11/10/17.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Be hunting northern Cooper County (grew up there) this weekend and then next weekend might be back there. Or see if my buddy will let me whack a doe on his place is southern Cass County.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt the big blocks of public forest ground in the Ozarks.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Hunting our property in Benton County. Be an all day sit today.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very windy this morning. Didn’t see a deer. Headed back out in the afternoon looking for better luck.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
8 different bucks and 4 does opening day. Had a 7 point and doe within 75 yards for almost 4 hours, makes a tight sit. No hunt today.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well early fri morning as I turn onto hwy 28 at Gerald MO I see a nice nice buck just strutting across this field. I figure that can’t be a bad sign. Anyway deer movement in the Owensville area was good on opening day yesterday. However no bucks were seen by yours truly. Had a great weekend and headed back down fri night with at least one, possibly 2 of my boys in tow.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Bagged a nice 8 pointer yesterday morning in Lafayette County on my friends farm. It's a nice big one. Got him with the old reliable 30-06. It was the first deer i saw. The shot was at about 40 yrds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 2017 Morgan County public land 11 pointer. Got him on the 2nd morning with a Kimber Montana .300 Win Mag while he was chasing a doe.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Love to be in Randolph County MO with my two sons for the week.....one of these years.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
good stuff

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife killed a 4pt. yesterday morning. Son missed a whopper 8 pt. this morning. I've seen a bunch of does, but haven't actually hunted much because of taking care of the others. We'll see how things work out if I can get time off work to hunt.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rockchucker
what part? had a farm north of new cambria

I'm hunting about 6 miles NE of Macon

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
My 2017 Morgan County public land 11 pointer. Got him on the 2nd morning with a Kimber Montana .300 Win Mag while he was chasing a doe.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Nicely done!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Some nice deer on this thread.
Just got back from three days up in Benton County. A better year than average. Two more inside the truck.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here is my buck taken in the Ozarks with my AR15. It is a .223 shooting the 70 gr TSX handloads. He was shot at 150 yards and was DRT.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by tylerw02; 11/13/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a really pretty buck right there......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tylerw02 -

That's a dandy - congrats.

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys I am pretty excited!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
really really nice Ozark buck! congrats!
whats the inside spread? looks decent.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 11/14/17.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whereabouts in the Ozarks do you hunt?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just heard the news. Macon County #1 in the NE region so far. I'm about 12 miles NW of New Cambria.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
really really nice Ozark buck! congrats!
whats the inside spread? looks decent.

Thanks! I honestly haven't measured. I was busy all day taking care of other family members deer with them and had seven nieces and nephews running around to help keep an eye on...and this guy neglected to bring a tape.. On my way home I dropped it off at the taxidermist...never had one done up before.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well, I struck out completely. Never saw a deer on the hoof after Friday scouting. The area we have hunted for years has been overrun with KC Folks 'looking to get away,' and the Amish. I knew when the Amish started rolling in a few years back it was going to get bad. This year seems to be the proof. I am going to have to either find another piece of Corps ground to hunt, or give Missouri up all together. I may just start bowhunting it the week prior to rifle.....before the orange (and flat hat) army shows up

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tylerw02
Here is my buck taken in the Ozarks with my AR15. It is a .223 shooting the 70 gr TSX handloads. He was shot at 150 yards and was DRT.

Nice buck, tylerw02!

Check out this monster shot around O'Fallon

http://fox4kc.com/2017/11/13/missouri-hunter-bags-39-point-buck/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed this buck Saturday evening right before dark as he came slipping through the woods.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Crappie_Killer; 11/14/17.

CK
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice, crappie! Good mass!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He was a 5.5 yr old. We had him on camera just once in the past 2 months. I was moving just down from the peak of the ridge that was over looking a dry creek bed. The bottom of the hollow also contains a small overgrown field. I was watching two separate buck/doe chases in front of me when he came up behind me headed their way. First shot was a only 30 yards at which he jumped and then took two more leaps before stopping. The second shot hit him high on the shoulder and took him down instantly. This is a new farm to me, but has been in the family for close to 100 years now. One of my older brothers had first shot at buying it, but declined last year when he purchased my parents place. It then dropped to me and I scooped it up as fast as I could. It has never had cattle on it and hasn't been hunted for over 25 years. No roads, so if you want to hunt it, you have to walk it.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a dandy MO buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CK-
What a gorgeous buck!!!!

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
CKiller,
Very nice deer, and rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by thardy
CKiller,
Very nice deer, and rifle.

Thank you, I bought that rifle (7x57) off of the campfire last summer and took last years buck with it also. It has an incredibly smooth action and shoots very good with the PPU Thunder ammo. I bought the factory stuff for the brass, but it has performed very well the last two years.

CK
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
He was a 5.5 yr old. We had him on camera just once in the past 2 months. I was moving just down from the peak of the ridge that was over looking a dry creek bed. The bottom of the hollow also contains a small overgrown field. I was watching two separate buck/doe chases in front of me when he came up behind me headed their way. First shot was a only 30 yards at which he jumped and then took two more leaps before stopping. The second shot hit him high on the shoulder and took him down instantly. This is a new farm to me, but has been in the family for close to 100 years now. One of my older brothers had first shot at buying it, but declined last year when he purchased my parents place. It then dropped to me and I scooped it up as fast as I could. It has never had cattle on it and hasn't been hunted for over 25 years. No roads, so if you want to hunt it, you have to walk it.

Nice picture especially when an M-70 in 7X57 in shown after doing the deed.. Congrat's.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
got a doe and button buck. back at it tomorrow

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Nice picture especially when an M-70 in 7X57 in shown after doing the deed.. Congrat's.

[Linked Image] 6.5x55 Swede FW
[Linked Image] Wife's 30-06 pre 64 FW

CK
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The top one was my 2015 deer, the wife's was last years 2016 deer killed on the next farm over from the one we just bought. Just a bunch of Ozark acorn bucks. All joking aside, we are 15 years into management of our deer in this area on a what was once a self induced 8 pt rule. Now we look strictly at age structure. We are just off of the Gasconade River where row crops are available, but it is the terrain and age structure that allows these bucks to realize their potential. It is difficult hunting that most are not willing to endure, at least in my experience in this area. Most want to drive up to their stand and sit on their cooler. I was forced to hunt that way for several years until I was able to obtain our own hunting grounds. I really don't give a dang about the size of the horns or score. I much more relish the hunt and experience. But there is no denying that letting a deer reach an age of 4.5 years or more will yield a vastly superior horn quality. My biggest fear is that we have raised a generation of hunters that ONLY care about the size of the antlers/score. They lose the art of the hunt and joy of out smarting a mature deer. They are into shooting at long range and gadgets like scent lock and other gimmicks. I am no angel, as I have tried more [bleep] then I want to admit, but I find that a good squirrel hunt teaches one more lessons than anything you can buy. Learn to place your feet, be silent, recognize the sounds of the woods and pick up on things that are odd. Money cannot buy these things. Just my thoughts. YMMV

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed this buck Saturday evening right before dark as he came slipping through the woods.

[Linked Image]

Nice buck and classic cartridge!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Headed back out after work tomorrow. Two of my sons will be joining me, looking forward to a good time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I only saw 3 deer in the first 4 days on my small 80 acres but one of those was this guy.

He came into some rattling and grunting Saturday about 3

Kimber Montana 280 AI shooting 120 Nosler BT's at about 2800

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Headed back out after work tomorrow. Two of my sons will be joining me, looking forward to a good time.

Good luck, Jim!

I'm taking a guy from work hunting Saturday- he's never shot a deer, or even hunted before, so I'd at least like to put him on a doe.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife and I are loading up the truck and headed to Fairfax Oklahoma tomorrow for this Saturdays opener

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My youngest son has a rifle I picked up for him a couple years ago that he has not bloodied yet. I hope he pops one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
My wife and I are loading up the truck and headed to Fairfax Oklahoma tomorrow for this Saturdays opener

Good luck, Ted. Oklahoma is my favorite state to hunt in. I wanted to go this year, but work got in the way.

I did hunt far western Oklahoma last year- Rita Blanca National Grasslands, hoping to encounter a Mulie buck, but no such luck. I did see some whitetail bucks and hundreds of antelope.

Are you hunting public land?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Private land but I'm not hunting....my wife is.

I'm the video guy taking a nap in the blind with her.

I might buy a tag if the deer are thick and she was to tag out early

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well this past weekend turned out pretty good for my boys. Two of the three went hunting with me over the weekend and both scored on sat. The youngest son finally christened his .270 I gave him two years ago. No wall hangers were shot but some fine table fare was scored.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well this past weekend turned out pretty good for my boys. Two of the three went hunting with me over the weekend and both scored on sat. The youngest son finally christened his .270 I gave him two years ago. No wall hangers were shot but some fine table fare was scored.

Nice!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Congrats to your boys Jim.

If they turn out half as good as you they will be good folks.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jim that .270 was the one I bought from you and the other son used his 7-08 also bought from you. So you were along for the ride sort of.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That is cool......Thank you.

I am happy the boys have a great role model that will take them out hunting!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 64 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.