Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
EXACTLY....................

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
LBK, I think those are great reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
It's not about killing deer to me, it's more seeing my wife succeed at something she has really grown to love. It's about going into the woods knowing you have at LEAST 50 square miles to hunt BY YOURSELF. It's seeing deer behavior in 4 days that I wouldn't see, and "haven't" seen In New Hampshire my entire hunting life. I treat it like more of a wilderness vacation rather than a hunting trip. No matter how bad it might be this year, I am confident We will see more deer in 4 days there than we will see in 4 YEARS in NH. Remember, EVERY deer is a trophy if you kill it on it's terms. I LOVE hunting with my wife and if she feels pampered at the same time, it's a win win for me.

In the current climate of instant gratification, bigger-is-better, naming of bucks, referring to them as "shooters" or a particular number (score), this is a wonderfully grounded and rather refreshing perspective.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
It's not about killing deer to me, it's more seeing my wife succeed at something she has really grown to love. It's about going into the woods knowing you have at LEAST 50 square miles to hunt BY YOURSELF. It's seeing deer behavior in 4 days that I wouldn't see, and "haven't" seen In New Hampshire my entire hunting life. I treat it like more of a wilderness vacation rather than a hunting trip. No matter how bad it might be this year, I am confident We will see more deer in 4 days there than we will see in 4 YEARS in NH. Remember, EVERY deer is a trophy if you kill it on it's terms. I LOVE hunting with my wife and if she feels pampered at the same time, it's a win win for me.

In the current climate of instant gratification, bigger-is-better, naming of bucks, referring to them as "shooters" or a particular number (score), this is a wonderfully grounded and rather refreshing perspective.

Thanks for the understanding.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the understanding.

You're preaching to the choir on this end. Good luck on your hunt!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Agreed!!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I cannot recall any conversation anywhere regarding deer hunting in the last 5 -10 years where Score was not mentioned.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Can't agree more with this. Its crazy what the hunting world has become in this regards. Don't get me wrong, I like to see some of the awesome critters guys shoot, but I do get turned off on the kill list stuff and if its not XXX"'s no one cares about it. I managed to shoot a good buck last Sunday in conditions that I rarely get to experience with my Mrs. in tow and those memories will last a long time. Not to mention the time I've got spend with my kids out hunting this year. Luckily I've got some good pards that enjoy the hunt and success no matter how big the rack. One posts here and he got his cow elk on his first trip west. A trophy in my mind. If I remember correctly, he's done this Anitcosti hunt as well and I've heard how many deer can be seen on a given day. Sounds like a wonderful time. Good luck to any of you that make that trip. Hope its successful.

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kelk

Can't agree more with this. Its crazy what the hunting world has become in this regards. Don't get me wrong, I like to see some of the awesome critters guys shoot, but I do get turned off on the kill list stuff and if its not XXX"'s no one cares about it. I managed to shoot a good buck last Sunday in conditions that I rarely get to experience with my Mrs. in tow and those memories will last a long time. Not to mention the time I've got spend with my kids out hunting this year. Luckily I've got some good pards that enjoy the hunt and success no matter how big the rack. One posts here and he got his cow elk on his first trip west. A trophy in my mind. If I remember correctly, he's done this Anitcosti hunt as well and I've heard how many deer can be seen on a given day. Sounds like a wonderful time. Good luck to any of you that make that trip. Hope its successful.

Thanks. Hunting IS about memories. It's different to different people,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT we ALL hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If you hunt in a place with lots of deer and liberal bag limits, like I do, passing on bucks with small antlers seems like the best thing to do, since if you shoot them before they have matured, you'll never know how good they could have been. I only shoot three kinds of bucks; those that have large or interesting antlers that are worth sending to the taxidermist, those that have some sort of antler flaw and probably should be prevented from breeding, and those that have been wounded and need to be put down. That said, it is easy to be picky if you know that you're going to see more deer, often more than 20 per day, and can take 2 bucks and about as many antlerless deer as you want to buy tags for.

I would disagree that every deer is a trophy if you kill it on its terms. Unless you're hunting in a high fence operation, every wild deer lives on its own terms. To me, a deer is just a deer unless it is your first deer or if there is something that physically sets it apart from others of its species.

When my high school buddies come from NH to hunt in NE for the first time, I don't let them carry their rifles for the first day that they're here, otherwise they almost always want to shoot the first deer with forked antlers that they see. After they've hunted with me a couple of times, they tend to be more selective, unless it happens to be the last day of their hunt. I will note for the record that I'm much less interested in hunting than in shooting and prefer hunting squirrels to deer 'cause I can do it whenever I want to over a period of seven months, not just during 34 days out of every 365.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This has nothing to do with the island. I hunt to be in the woods. The trees, the wind, just being in the woods makes a successful trip to me. While I enjoy eating deer, have a shoulder roast cooking right now, I really like the woods. My wife is in yoga and meditates, I sit in the woods. I am more interested in the oddball rifle I am carrying than the size of the deer I shoot. This year for my first Michigan gun opener I am taking a 98 Mauser in 8mm with an octagon barrel I bought here on the fire. Maybe the island is a place I should go next year.

“Lighten up Francis”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunt for the joy of being in the outdoors with my family. Getting some meat and trying to outwit a "big" one is part of the fun together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I live only 5.5hrs from Mont-Joli where you meet the plane for the trip. It would be a a very easy/close trip for me to go to Anticosti.

Mortgage will be paid early 2018 ........ Hmmmmmm, need to think this one over a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
It takes us about 8 hours to drive it. We usually do it in 2 stages now that I'm older. We have been stopping in Derby Line Vermont in a motel to get some sleep. This year my wife wanted us to stop in Drummondvill Que instead. So that's the plane.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you fly out of Mont-Joli?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
LBK...looking forward to your report!

As I do every year!

Me too!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Yes we do. We stay at the motel Le Gaspesienna. We always go up 2 or 3 days in advance and rummage around the Gaspe peninsula. We always have a great time. You can also fly out of Montreal or Quebec City

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Yes we do. We stay at the motel Le Gaspesienna. We always go up 2 or 3 days in advance and rummage around the Gaspe peninsula. We always have a great time. You can also fly out of Montreal or Quebec City

Mont Joli is close enough for me not to have to stay overnight. We do some work up north along the Gaspe. It's a beautiful spot but bloody cold in late fall and winter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to think I'll go one of these years but then again if I'm gonna go to Canada I'm probably going to end up cutting to the chase and going for Moose instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If you hunt in a place with lots of deer and liberal bag limits, like I do, passing on bucks with small antlers seems like the best thing to do, since if you shoot them before they have matured, you'll never know how good they could have been. I only shoot three kinds of bucks; those that have large or interesting antlers that are worth sending to the taxidermist, those that have some sort of antler flaw and probably should be prevented from breeding, and those that have been wounded and need to be put down. That said, it is easy to be picky if you know that you're going to see more deer, often more than 20 per day, and can take 2 bucks and about as many antlerless deer as you want to buy tags for.

I would disagree that every deer is a trophy if you kill it on its terms. Unless you're hunting in a high fence operation, every wild deer lives on its own terms. To me, a deer is just a deer unless it is your first deer or if there is something that physically sets it apart from others of its species.

When my high school buddies come from NH to hunt in NE for the first time, I don't let them carry their rifles for the first day that they're here, otherwise they almost always want to shoot the first deer with forked antlers that they see. After they've hunted with me a couple of times, they tend to be more selective, unless it happens to be the last day of their hunt. I will note for the record that I'm much less interested in hunting than in shooting and prefer hunting squirrels to deer 'cause I can do it whenever I want to over a period of seven months, not just during 34 days out of every 365.

And yet another point of view.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 43 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.