Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunted with Cerf Sau in 2001, rained sideways for the first 3 1/2 days, my father and I ended up shooting 4 scrubber bucks between us, about the size we kill in Pa. or NY. Accommodations and food was great, I did see some very nice deer taken although they were not very common. The one thing that pissed me off is I wanted to hunt the coast and was told "it is not in your guide's rotation". I didn't like the 1 guide to 4 hunter ratio and felt that the repeat hunters were treated better. It cost $3000 in 2001 to hunt, I don't know what it cost to hunt there now. I'd rather pay $3400 to hunt elk and mule deer in Colorado than deer in Anticosti, just my opinion.

BP-B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Sako76
I hunted with Cerf Sau in 2001, rained sideways for the first 3 1/2 days, my father and I ended up shooting 4 scrubber bucks between us, about the size we kill in Pa. or NY. Accommodations and food was great, I did see some very nice deer taken although they were not very common. The one thing that pissed me off is I wanted to hunt the coast and was told "it is not in your guide's rotation". I didn't like the 1 guide to 4 hunter ratio and felt that the repeat hunters were treated better. It cost $3000 in 2001 to hunt, I don't know what it cost to hunt there now. I'd rather pay $3400 to hunt elk and mule deer in Colorado than deer in Anticosti, just my opinion.

You are not very likely to kill big deer on Anticosti, though some nice deer are taken. To get big, deer need nutrition and age. The quality of browse on Anticosti is poor and frequent hard winters kill off bucks before they can get old. Last winter was such a winter. I have been to Anticosti almost 20 times and my buddy even more than that. We have never seen so few deer and, with the exception of a very big spike or maybe 4 pointer, I saw no bucks. If I saw a dozen deer this year that was a lot. My buddy saw fewer and we hunted hard and we hunted an area we know very well..

Anticosti is about the hunting. If you want a trophy that is big, there are better places. If you want a trophy that you have to work for, Anticosti is the place for you. It is about being in a place where you are the only person for miles. While there are stands and binds in the sector I hunt, for me it is hunting on the move. It is about spot and stalk. It is about seeing a a deer across a peat bog that may be a mile across. It is about working your way into position for a shot and hope that the deer does not amble off or gets spooked. Or it is about bumping into a deer as you walk through a spruce and fir forest and having only seconds to take the deer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NE_Hunter
Originally Posted by Sako76

You are not very likely to kill big deer on Anticosti, though some nice deer are taken. To get big, deer need nutrition and age. The quality of browse on Anticosti is poor and frequent hard winters kill off bucks before they can get old. Last winter was such a winter. I have been to Anticosti almost 20 times and my buddy even more than that. We have never seen so few deer and, with the exception of a very big spike or maybe 4 pointer, I saw no bucks. If I saw a dozen deer this year that was a lot. My buddy saw fewer and we hunted hard and we hunted an area we know very well..

Anticosti is about the hunting. If you want a trophy that is big, there are better places. If you want a trophy that you have to work for, Anticosti is the place for you. It is about being in a place where you are the only person for miles. While there are stands and binds in the sector I hunt, for me it is hunting on the move. It is about spot and stalk. It is about seeing a a deer across a peat bog that may be a mile across. It is about working your way into position for a shot and hope that the deer does not amble off or gets spooked. Or it is about bumping into a deer as you walk through a spruce and fir forest and having only seconds to take the deer.

I wonder if trackers, like the Berniers or Benoits, would be able to take big bucks if they were given the opportunity to hunt Anticosti Island?

The idea of spending thousands of dollar to hunt small whitetails on Anticosti Island is lost on me, but life is a mystery.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N

[/quote]

I wonder if trackers, like the Berniers or Benoits, would be able to take big bucks if they were given the opportunity to hunt Anticosti Island?

The idea of spending thousands of dollar to hunt small whitetails on Anticosti Island is lost on me, but life is a mystery.[/quote]

You can't find what is not there. Bucks don't get a chance to grow very big on Anticosti. I do not care who you are, if the deer aren't there, you re not going to find them, unless, of course, you bring their own deer. As for the ability of the Berniers and Benoits to somehow track big bucks on Anticosti, it would be interesting. The island is very different from other places to deer hunt. It is certainly very different than northern New England. Where I go on the island , terrain varies from wide open peat bogs to incredibly dense forest with the occasional dry meadows, open woods and a few decent sized lakes.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've hunted Anticosti every year since 1991 missing only four years. I can recommend Sepaq Anticosti. I've found few things that I didn't like but in the big picture they don't really matter thatmuch. Things like when they changed the November hunts from 6 days to 4. I always go American plan guided and the food is above average. It cost more than the European plan but when I get back to the lodge I want to kick back and not have to cook. This year I went in Sept for the first time. It was not easy hunting, saw few deer and ended up going home with one doe. Of the six of us four bucks, three does and two hunters skunked. If I had gone home without a deer it would have still been a good trip. I don't go there for meat. I can buy a lot for the price. I go because I always have a good time even the year I rolled over the ATV! It's a beautiful island and the ability to hunt without other hunters, bird watchers, dog walkers interrupting you is priceless. Those of you who come from densely populated states like Connecticut know what I mean. I am booked for next year again. I miss hunting with LBK but I had to go for the 6 days. LBK bonne chance.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The exchange is is still very favorable, something to consider. Later is better in the current NE winters. Get the hot lunches smile They cook up some insane shepards pie and apple pie for desert and pick you up at lunch. You travel to a small shack that has the heat on and the stove going. You eat like a king there. You will actually gain 10 pounds...

Deer were above average (Vt deer to compare) but the hunt was great. Not much elevation so if your oxygen challenged the terrain is perfect.

It has been many years since I went but it was something I will always remember. Very different from anything you will get here in the states.
The only bug was the flight in. Came in on 1 wheel in an ice storm. Pilot told us if he didn't stick it we were headed back to mainland for a few days. Buddy says if your didn't stick it we would be at the bottom of the Atlantic. Pilot laughed and shrugged. smile

Point is weather is a concern and something to consider for your departure....

Good luck and enjoy.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I go just because my wife and I have a GREAT time together and I'll be damned if I have to justify that to anyone.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
I've hunted Anticosti every year since 1991 missing only four years. I can recommend Sepaq Anticosti. I've found few things that I didn't like but in the big picture they don't really matter thatmuch. Things like when they changed the November hunts from 6 days to 4. I always go American plan guided and the food is above average. It cost more than the European plan but when I get back to the lodge I want to kick back and not have to cook. This year I went in Sept for the first time. It was not easy hunting, saw few deer and ended up going home with one doe. Of the six of us four bucks, three does and two hunters skunked. If I had gone home without a deer it would have still been a good trip. I don't go there for meat. I can buy a lot for the price. I go because I always have a good time even the year I rolled over the ATV! It's a beautiful island and the ability to hunt without other hunters, bird watchers, dog walkers interrupting you is priceless. Those of you who come from densely populated states like Connecticut know what I mean. I am booked for next year again. I miss hunting with LBK but I had to go for the 6 days. LBK bonne chance.

So, if I understand what you've written, for you a hunting trip to Anticosti Island is done more for the experience and the social interaction with you hunting party, while harvesting a deer not an important or necessary outcome?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm another that looks forward to LBK's post. It's cool that he and his wife love it.

But honestly it's a place I have no desire to go. Thank goodness we all have different tastes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What sort of distance are most deer shot at? Looks like under 100yds-ish.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some guys that take some awfully long shots (at least to me it seems) of 300+ yards. All of my deer except one have been 125 yards and less. The one deer was over 100 was a doe at 225 yards. It was the last day of the hunt. My wife was back at the lodge tagged out. The guide, myself and 2 other were on 4 wheelers travelling up the Platte River bed. I was last in line. The guide spotter a deer about 350 yards out. BOTH of the other hunters wanted to pass because it was early in the morning and this was the first deer on a bitter cold morning. The guide came back to me and I told him I would try it but I wanted to be closer. He agreed and let me lead the stock. I went over to the far edge of the river on foot with the guide in tow. We went towards the deer. The deer kept it's head down and kept feeding. As long as the head was down, We stopped a couple times to look. I kept closing the distance. Finally we came to a grass covered outcropping with a few small trees on it. We kept the cover between us and the deer. I didn't even know it the deer was still there. I was on my belly, crawling. I got the the far side and lifted my head to look. It was still there but with the head up. The guide ranged the deer and said 225. I was using a Savage 99EG in .308 Win. I had a Leupold Vari-X II 2x7 and aimed dead on. I fired and the deer dropped so fast, I didn't see it. The guide was happy as a clam. He offered up to me that in that hunt he learned allot about me. He learned that I do NOT shoot without being reasonably certain I can make the shot

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nancy and I am headed out within the next hour. 635 mile drive and the waether looks bad. Snow, rain, and wind. We'll make the most of it again. Hopefully, we'll return on Nov., 26th. Will report back shortly thereafter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck LBK and great story. Looking forward to your pictures as usual.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Nancy and I am headed out within the next hour. 635 mile drive and the waether looks bad. Snow, rain, and wind. We'll make the most of it again. Hopefully, we'll return on Nov., 26th. Will report back shortly thereafter.

Good Luck and be safe.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For some us you get to certain time in your life “it’s about the journey” and Lomgbeardking framed that to a tee.
I live in CT and next year we are going to Newfoundland for moose and as I said to my son I want to enjoy as much of these journey’s as I can in the next 5-10years.

N
N
I was just there November 8-11. Amazing place with such unique scenery and wildlife, had one day to hunt on the beach which was kind of surreal. Hunted with Safari Anticosti and they were excellent all around. Unfortunately when we arrived we learned that last winter there was a large winter kill. I hunted hard for three days and only saw seven deer, all doe, and found more than that many dead deer. Many of the guys in camp were multiple year repeats and said it was really bad compared to past years (this was my first trip). They also speculated that with normal winters the population would be back in 2-3 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
LBK...looking forward to your report!

As I do every year!

Me too!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes I like to put deer in the freezer but I can do that in Connecticut. Taken deer on Anticosti is the bonus part of the trip. The experience is the most important and the people. I miss the years hunting with LBK. Maybe someday I will get back into his week. Just had to go earlier because of the price and two add'l days hunting. It's about the hunt not the meat. I'm a seniorrso the license if free in Connecticut onlyhave to pay for the tags. And in the coastal zones the limit is as many as you want because replacement tags are given out for does taken.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a great thread. It veered into territory I am passionate about. I would hope, that as hunters, we would all be supportive of our fellow outdoors men and women, offer them sincere congratulations when ever they have a successful hunt, and never criticize the size,or score, of any animal taken in an ethical manner.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
155 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.