Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I’m potentially planning a trip to Anticosti island for a November deer hunt. Can anyone give any advice or recommendations? Guide, dates to go, anything that will help. Thanks

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
PM Longbeardking or look up his posts. He is a regular there.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes.
Longbeardking is the man for that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I’m potentially planning a trip to Anticosti island for a November deer hunt. Can anyone give any advice or recommendations? Guide, dates to go, anything that will help. Thanks

My wife and I are heading back up on November 16th. Will be heading back on November 25th. So far this year I have heard nothing good. My hunt is a 4 day hunt, 11/21,22,23,and 24th. ALWAYS the same 4 days for my wife and me. The reports I am getting are all from a new SIX day hunt offering. The 6 day hunts have all taken place in September and October and the weather has been very warm. Not many bucks have been seen and the doe sightings have been down as well. This is really not surprising to me. The other thing is that most of the guys hunted the same way they would in November. They find a blind or a tree stand and park in it for hours on end. Even on Anticosti, if you REALLY want a deer, you better be prepared to hunt for it. I walk allot, and when I find a spot with abundant activity, I will sit a spell.

I use Sepaq Anticosti. There are several other outfitters. Lac Genevieve, and Safari Anticosti are tow that come to mind. I just started out with Sepaq and stuck with them.

You being from upstate NY the hunting will be VERY similar. Good luck.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LBK...looking forward to your report!

As I do every year!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was really struggling with a report this year after the changes with photobucket. I have tried to work with this site's image gallery and I never seem to get it quite done. I seem to post a "link" to the picture but fall short of getting the actual picture to load. I found a site through a post from someone here called tinypics. I set up an account with them and it is EXACTLY the same as photobucket was. I wasn't going to post this year's hunt without pictures, because I think it would be pretty boring. There are some REALLY great people here at the campfire and I do enjoy almost everyone. Thank you for your interest and kind words over the years.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the reply longbeardking, I'll PM you some questions later if you don't mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not literally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have been to Anticosti many time.. I like to go in September as a way of increasing the amount of time I spend hunting. It is also a little cheaper.

Like any other place Anticosti has good and bad years. It is not the place to find supersized bucks. The nutrition is poor and the occasional bad winter prevents the deer from growing old. This year was an exceptionally bad year with a dramatic drop in deer numbers due to winter kill. It will take a few years for the herd to recover. For example, this year I took a couple of small does. My buddy whose has been to the island for more years than me took none, so I gave him one of mine. In total we saw maybe twenty deer for the whole trip. The only buck I saw was a big spike. Usually, each of us would see that many in a single day. Our experience was similar to other's It will take a few years for the herd to recover assuming there are no bad winters.

If you are looking for bucks the best time to go is in the rut from late October through the end of the season, usually the first week of December. Earlier hunts are cheaper but bucks are scarcer. However, with a few exceptions such as this year, I usually take at least one decent buck per trip.

The island has three outfitters, Sepaq, Safari, and Lac Genevieve. All a reputable. I am no familiar with Lac Genevieve, but I have gone with the other two and know they offer a variety of camps and levels of accommodation. For the last 8 or 9 years I have been going on the European plan where you bring and prepare your own food, etc. American plans are available where food is prepared for you etc. There are a few places with a very high comfort level like Jupiter 12 (Sepaq) or The Safari Lodge (Safari Anticosti).

I love hunting the island. Usually you are the only person for miles and you see, this year excepted, many deer. What I really like is the opportunity to still hunt, to spot and stalk. I have walked into peat bogs that can be miles across seen a deer and worked into a position to get a shot. It is hunting so sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

My suggestion to you is to figure out what you want and do it. The only thing I would suggest is to wait a couple of years.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking 2019

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anticosti has been on my short list for a long time, I hear mixed reviews on the quality of busks. Can any of you that have been post pics of your bucks?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
Anticosti has been on my short list for a long time, I hear mixed reviews on the quality of busks. Can any of you that have been post pics of your bucks?

Here's a pretty good representation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks LBK

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a couple long conversations at the Sportsmans Show in Harrisburg with Sepaq Anticosti but so far have not booked. It's something I'd like to get around to doing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

As I do every year!

AMEN! LBK'S Anticosti reports and pictures are one of the things I always look forward too.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 11/09/17.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Some folks here are very humbling. Actually all of you are way more interesting than I.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what is the draw to go, and I am asking a serious question and in no way shape or form mean that in a negative way. I’m interested what brings you back every year.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MM, I saw your post last night before I went to sleep. I had to put some thought into it. My first hunt was a family hunt. I paid full price, but my wife and son got 50% off. It was a September or early October hunt. Each of us shot 2 deer. My wife shot her first deer EVER. I shot the 2 smallest (to this day) deer of my life. I saw one buck and was taken totally by surprise and I missed him. I said then that if I ever went back it would be in November. Well, at that time, there were no openings. On VERY short notice we got a phone call from Sepaq saying there was an opening over Thanksgiving in 2004. My wife took the call and said we'd be there before ever letting me know. Since then, I have only taken my son back once, but my wife and I have returned every year since, except for 2006. I thought I was going to lose my job due to company downsizing. I did NOT so it's been back ever since. We go the American plan. Accommodations are more than comfortable and the food is way more than adequate. It's not about killing deer to me, it's more seeing my wife succeed at something she has really grown to love. It's about going into the woods knowing you have at LEAST 50 square miles to hunt BY YOURSELF. It's seeing deer behavior in 4 days that I wouldn't see, and "haven't" seen In New Hampshire my entire hunting life. I treat it like more of a wilderness vacation rather than a hunting trip. No matter how bad it might be this year, I am confident We will see more deer in 4 days there than we will see in 4 YEARS in NH. Remember, EVERY deer is a trophy if you kill it on it's terms. I LOVE hunting with my wife and if she feels pampered at the same time, it's a win win for me.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I know some guys that go every year the last few days of the season and they kill some very nice bucks. They are hunting migration routes and along the beaches. While they aren't world class deer, they seem to be above average for the island.

I also know some guys that go every year in October and kill does. They consider it a meat hunt.

Last edited by JDK; 11/10/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EXACTLY....................

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
LBK, I think those are great reasons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
It's not about killing deer to me, it's more seeing my wife succeed at something she has really grown to love. It's about going into the woods knowing you have at LEAST 50 square miles to hunt BY YOURSELF. It's seeing deer behavior in 4 days that I wouldn't see, and "haven't" seen In New Hampshire my entire hunting life. I treat it like more of a wilderness vacation rather than a hunting trip. No matter how bad it might be this year, I am confident We will see more deer in 4 days there than we will see in 4 YEARS in NH. Remember, EVERY deer is a trophy if you kill it on it's terms. I LOVE hunting with my wife and if she feels pampered at the same time, it's a win win for me.

In the current climate of instant gratification, bigger-is-better, naming of bucks, referring to them as "shooters" or a particular number (score), this is a wonderfully grounded and rather refreshing perspective.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
It's not about killing deer to me, it's more seeing my wife succeed at something she has really grown to love. It's about going into the woods knowing you have at LEAST 50 square miles to hunt BY YOURSELF. It's seeing deer behavior in 4 days that I wouldn't see, and "haven't" seen In New Hampshire my entire hunting life. I treat it like more of a wilderness vacation rather than a hunting trip. No matter how bad it might be this year, I am confident We will see more deer in 4 days there than we will see in 4 YEARS in NH. Remember, EVERY deer is a trophy if you kill it on it's terms. I LOVE hunting with my wife and if she feels pampered at the same time, it's a win win for me.

In the current climate of instant gratification, bigger-is-better, naming of bucks, referring to them as "shooters" or a particular number (score), this is a wonderfully grounded and rather refreshing perspective.

Thanks for the understanding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the understanding.

You're preaching to the choir on this end. Good luck on your hunt!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

Agreed!!!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I cannot recall any conversation anywhere regarding deer hunting in the last 5 -10 years where Score was not mentioned.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Can't agree more with this. Its crazy what the hunting world has become in this regards. Don't get me wrong, I like to see some of the awesome critters guys shoot, but I do get turned off on the kill list stuff and if its not XXX"'s no one cares about it. I managed to shoot a good buck last Sunday in conditions that I rarely get to experience with my Mrs. in tow and those memories will last a long time. Not to mention the time I've got spend with my kids out hunting this year. Luckily I've got some good pards that enjoy the hunt and success no matter how big the rack. One posts here and he got his cow elk on his first trip west. A trophy in my mind. If I remember correctly, he's done this Anitcosti hunt as well and I've heard how many deer can be seen on a given day. Sounds like a wonderful time. Good luck to any of you that make that trip. Hope its successful.

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kelk

Can't agree more with this. Its crazy what the hunting world has become in this regards. Don't get me wrong, I like to see some of the awesome critters guys shoot, but I do get turned off on the kill list stuff and if its not XXX"'s no one cares about it. I managed to shoot a good buck last Sunday in conditions that I rarely get to experience with my Mrs. in tow and those memories will last a long time. Not to mention the time I've got spend with my kids out hunting this year. Luckily I've got some good pards that enjoy the hunt and success no matter how big the rack. One posts here and he got his cow elk on his first trip west. A trophy in my mind. If I remember correctly, he's done this Anitcosti hunt as well and I've heard how many deer can be seen on a given day. Sounds like a wonderful time. Good luck to any of you that make that trip. Hope its successful.

Thanks. Hunting IS about memories. It's different to different people,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT we ALL hunt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If you hunt in a place with lots of deer and liberal bag limits, like I do, passing on bucks with small antlers seems like the best thing to do, since if you shoot them before they have matured, you'll never know how good they could have been. I only shoot three kinds of bucks; those that have large or interesting antlers that are worth sending to the taxidermist, those that have some sort of antler flaw and probably should be prevented from breeding, and those that have been wounded and need to be put down. That said, it is easy to be picky if you know that you're going to see more deer, often more than 20 per day, and can take 2 bucks and about as many antlerless deer as you want to buy tags for.

I would disagree that every deer is a trophy if you kill it on its terms. Unless you're hunting in a high fence operation, every wild deer lives on its own terms. To me, a deer is just a deer unless it is your first deer or if there is something that physically sets it apart from others of its species.

When my high school buddies come from NH to hunt in NE for the first time, I don't let them carry their rifles for the first day that they're here, otherwise they almost always want to shoot the first deer with forked antlers that they see. After they've hunted with me a couple of times, they tend to be more selective, unless it happens to be the last day of their hunt. I will note for the record that I'm much less interested in hunting than in shooting and prefer hunting squirrels to deer 'cause I can do it whenever I want to over a period of seven months, not just during 34 days out of every 365.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This has nothing to do with the island. I hunt to be in the woods. The trees, the wind, just being in the woods makes a successful trip to me. While I enjoy eating deer, have a shoulder roast cooking right now, I really like the woods. My wife is in yoga and meditates, I sit in the woods. I am more interested in the oddball rifle I am carrying than the size of the deer I shoot. This year for my first Michigan gun opener I am taking a 98 Mauser in 8mm with an octagon barrel I bought here on the fire. Maybe the island is a place I should go next year.

“Lighten up Francis”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunt for the joy of being in the outdoors with my family. Getting some meat and trying to outwit a "big" one is part of the fun together.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I live only 5.5hrs from Mont-Joli where you meet the plane for the trip. It would be a a very easy/close trip for me to go to Anticosti.

Mortgage will be paid early 2018 ........ Hmmmmmm, need to think this one over a bit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes us about 8 hours to drive it. We usually do it in 2 stages now that I'm older. We have been stopping in Derby Line Vermont in a motel to get some sleep. This year my wife wanted us to stop in Drummondvill Que instead. So that's the plane.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you fly out of Mont-Joli?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As I do every year!

Me too!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Yes we do. We stay at the motel Le Gaspesienna. We always go up 2 or 3 days in advance and rummage around the Gaspe peninsula. We always have a great time. You can also fly out of Montreal or Quebec City

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Yes we do. We stay at the motel Le Gaspesienna. We always go up 2 or 3 days in advance and rummage around the Gaspe peninsula. We always have a great time. You can also fly out of Montreal or Quebec City

Mont Joli is close enough for me not to have to stay overnight. We do some work up north along the Gaspe. It's a beautiful spot but bloody cold in late fall and winter.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to think I'll go one of these years but then again if I'm gonna go to Canada I'm probably going to end up cutting to the chase and going for Moose instead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If you hunt in a place with lots of deer and liberal bag limits, like I do, passing on bucks with small antlers seems like the best thing to do, since if you shoot them before they have matured, you'll never know how good they could have been. I only shoot three kinds of bucks; those that have large or interesting antlers that are worth sending to the taxidermist, those that have some sort of antler flaw and probably should be prevented from breeding, and those that have been wounded and need to be put down. That said, it is easy to be picky if you know that you're going to see more deer, often more than 20 per day, and can take 2 bucks and about as many antlerless deer as you want to buy tags for.

I would disagree that every deer is a trophy if you kill it on its terms. Unless you're hunting in a high fence operation, every wild deer lives on its own terms. To me, a deer is just a deer unless it is your first deer or if there is something that physically sets it apart from others of its species.

When my high school buddies come from NH to hunt in NE for the first time, I don't let them carry their rifles for the first day that they're here, otherwise they almost always want to shoot the first deer with forked antlers that they see. After they've hunted with me a couple of times, they tend to be more selective, unless it happens to be the last day of their hunt. I will note for the record that I'm much less interested in hunting than in shooting and prefer hunting squirrels to deer 'cause I can do it whenever I want to over a period of seven months, not just during 34 days out of every 365.

And yet another point of view.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hunted with Cerf Sau in 2001, rained sideways for the first 3 1/2 days, my father and I ended up shooting 4 scrubber bucks between us, about the size we kill in Pa. or NY. Accommodations and food was great, I did see some very nice deer taken although they were not very common. The one thing that pissed me off is I wanted to hunt the coast and was told "it is not in your guide's rotation". I didn't like the 1 guide to 4 hunter ratio and felt that the repeat hunters were treated better. It cost $3000 in 2001 to hunt, I don't know what it cost to hunt there now. I'd rather pay $3400 to hunt elk and mule deer in Colorado than deer in Anticosti, just my opinion.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by Sako76
I hunted with Cerf Sau in 2001, rained sideways for the first 3 1/2 days, my father and I ended up shooting 4 scrubber bucks between us, about the size we kill in Pa. or NY. Accommodations and food was great, I did see some very nice deer taken although they were not very common. The one thing that pissed me off is I wanted to hunt the coast and was told "it is not in your guide's rotation". I didn't like the 1 guide to 4 hunter ratio and felt that the repeat hunters were treated better. It cost $3000 in 2001 to hunt, I don't know what it cost to hunt there now. I'd rather pay $3400 to hunt elk and mule deer in Colorado than deer in Anticosti, just my opinion.

You are not very likely to kill big deer on Anticosti, though some nice deer are taken. To get big, deer need nutrition and age. The quality of browse on Anticosti is poor and frequent hard winters kill off bucks before they can get old. Last winter was such a winter. I have been to Anticosti almost 20 times and my buddy even more than that. We have never seen so few deer and, with the exception of a very big spike or maybe 4 pointer, I saw no bucks. If I saw a dozen deer this year that was a lot. My buddy saw fewer and we hunted hard and we hunted an area we know very well..

Anticosti is about the hunting. If you want a trophy that is big, there are better places. If you want a trophy that you have to work for, Anticosti is the place for you. It is about being in a place where you are the only person for miles. While there are stands and binds in the sector I hunt, for me it is hunting on the move. It is about spot and stalk. It is about seeing a a deer across a peat bog that may be a mile across. It is about working your way into position for a shot and hope that the deer does not amble off or gets spooked. Or it is about bumping into a deer as you walk through a spruce and fir forest and having only seconds to take the deer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NE_Hunter
Originally Posted by Sako76

You are not very likely to kill big deer on Anticosti, though some nice deer are taken. To get big, deer need nutrition and age. The quality of browse on Anticosti is poor and frequent hard winters kill off bucks before they can get old. Last winter was such a winter. I have been to Anticosti almost 20 times and my buddy even more than that. We have never seen so few deer and, with the exception of a very big spike or maybe 4 pointer, I saw no bucks. If I saw a dozen deer this year that was a lot. My buddy saw fewer and we hunted hard and we hunted an area we know very well..

Anticosti is about the hunting. If you want a trophy that is big, there are better places. If you want a trophy that you have to work for, Anticosti is the place for you. It is about being in a place where you are the only person for miles. While there are stands and binds in the sector I hunt, for me it is hunting on the move. It is about spot and stalk. It is about seeing a a deer across a peat bog that may be a mile across. It is about working your way into position for a shot and hope that the deer does not amble off or gets spooked. Or it is about bumping into a deer as you walk through a spruce and fir forest and having only seconds to take the deer.

I wonder if trackers, like the Berniers or Benoits, would be able to take big bucks if they were given the opportunity to hunt Anticosti Island?

The idea of spending thousands of dollar to hunt small whitetails on Anticosti Island is lost on me, but life is a mystery.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N

[/quote]

I wonder if trackers, like the Berniers or Benoits, would be able to take big bucks if they were given the opportunity to hunt Anticosti Island?

The idea of spending thousands of dollar to hunt small whitetails on Anticosti Island is lost on me, but life is a mystery.[/quote]

You can't find what is not there. Bucks don't get a chance to grow very big on Anticosti. I do not care who you are, if the deer aren't there, you re not going to find them, unless, of course, you bring their own deer. As for the ability of the Berniers and Benoits to somehow track big bucks on Anticosti, it would be interesting. The island is very different from other places to deer hunt. It is certainly very different than northern New England. Where I go on the island , terrain varies from wide open peat bogs to incredibly dense forest with the occasional dry meadows, open woods and a few decent sized lakes.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've hunted Anticosti every year since 1991 missing only four years. I can recommend Sepaq Anticosti. I've found few things that I didn't like but in the big picture they don't really matter thatmuch. Things like when they changed the November hunts from 6 days to 4. I always go American plan guided and the food is above average. It cost more than the European plan but when I get back to the lodge I want to kick back and not have to cook. This year I went in Sept for the first time. It was not easy hunting, saw few deer and ended up going home with one doe. Of the six of us four bucks, three does and two hunters skunked. If I had gone home without a deer it would have still been a good trip. I don't go there for meat. I can buy a lot for the price. I go because I always have a good time even the year I rolled over the ATV! It's a beautiful island and the ability to hunt without other hunters, bird watchers, dog walkers interrupting you is priceless. Those of you who come from densely populated states like Connecticut know what I mean. I am booked for next year again. I miss hunting with LBK but I had to go for the 6 days. LBK bonne chance.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
The exchange is is still very favorable, something to consider. Later is better in the current NE winters. Get the hot lunches smile They cook up some insane shepards pie and apple pie for desert and pick you up at lunch. You travel to a small shack that has the heat on and the stove going. You eat like a king there. You will actually gain 10 pounds...

Deer were above average (Vt deer to compare) but the hunt was great. Not much elevation so if your oxygen challenged the terrain is perfect.

It has been many years since I went but it was something I will always remember. Very different from anything you will get here in the states.
The only bug was the flight in. Came in on 1 wheel in an ice storm. Pilot told us if he didn't stick it we were headed back to mainland for a few days. Buddy says if your didn't stick it we would be at the bottom of the Atlantic. Pilot laughed and shrugged. smile

Point is weather is a concern and something to consider for your departure....

Good luck and enjoy.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I go just because my wife and I have a GREAT time together and I'll be damned if I have to justify that to anyone.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE
I've hunted Anticosti every year since 1991 missing only four years. I can recommend Sepaq Anticosti. I've found few things that I didn't like but in the big picture they don't really matter thatmuch. Things like when they changed the November hunts from 6 days to 4. I always go American plan guided and the food is above average. It cost more than the European plan but when I get back to the lodge I want to kick back and not have to cook. This year I went in Sept for the first time. It was not easy hunting, saw few deer and ended up going home with one doe. Of the six of us four bucks, three does and two hunters skunked. If I had gone home without a deer it would have still been a good trip. I don't go there for meat. I can buy a lot for the price. I go because I always have a good time even the year I rolled over the ATV! It's a beautiful island and the ability to hunt without other hunters, bird watchers, dog walkers interrupting you is priceless. Those of you who come from densely populated states like Connecticut know what I mean. I am booked for next year again. I miss hunting with LBK but I had to go for the 6 days. LBK bonne chance.

So, if I understand what you've written, for you a hunting trip to Anticosti Island is done more for the experience and the social interaction with you hunting party, while harvesting a deer not an important or necessary outcome?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm another that looks forward to LBK's post. It's cool that he and his wife love it.

But honestly it's a place I have no desire to go. Thank goodness we all have different tastes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What sort of distance are most deer shot at? Looks like under 100yds-ish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are some guys that take some awfully long shots (at least to me it seems) of 300+ yards. All of my deer except one have been 125 yards and less. The one deer was over 100 was a doe at 225 yards. It was the last day of the hunt. My wife was back at the lodge tagged out. The guide, myself and 2 other were on 4 wheelers travelling up the Platte River bed. I was last in line. The guide spotter a deer about 350 yards out. BOTH of the other hunters wanted to pass because it was early in the morning and this was the first deer on a bitter cold morning. The guide came back to me and I told him I would try it but I wanted to be closer. He agreed and let me lead the stock. I went over to the far edge of the river on foot with the guide in tow. We went towards the deer. The deer kept it's head down and kept feeding. As long as the head was down, We stopped a couple times to look. I kept closing the distance. Finally we came to a grass covered outcropping with a few small trees on it. We kept the cover between us and the deer. I didn't even know it the deer was still there. I was on my belly, crawling. I got the the far side and lifted my head to look. It was still there but with the head up. The guide ranged the deer and said 225. I was using a Savage 99EG in .308 Win. I had a Leupold Vari-X II 2x7 and aimed dead on. I fired and the deer dropped so fast, I didn't see it. The guide was happy as a clam. He offered up to me that in that hunt he learned allot about me. He learned that I do NOT shoot without being reasonably certain I can make the shot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nancy and I am headed out within the next hour. 635 mile drive and the waether looks bad. Snow, rain, and wind. We'll make the most of it again. Hopefully, we'll return on Nov., 26th. Will report back shortly thereafter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck LBK and great story. Looking forward to your pictures as usual.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nancy and I am headed out within the next hour. 635 mile drive and the waether looks bad. Snow, rain, and wind. We'll make the most of it again. Hopefully, we'll return on Nov., 26th. Will report back shortly thereafter.

Good Luck and be safe.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For some us you get to certain time in your life “it’s about the journey” and Lomgbeardking framed that to a tee.
I live in CT and next year we are going to Newfoundland for moose and as I said to my son I want to enjoy as much of these journey’s as I can in the next 5-10years.

N
N
I was just there November 8-11. Amazing place with such unique scenery and wildlife, had one day to hunt on the beach which was kind of surreal. Hunted with Safari Anticosti and they were excellent all around. Unfortunately when we arrived we learned that last winter there was a large winter kill. I hunted hard for three days and only saw seven deer, all doe, and found more than that many dead deer. Many of the guys in camp were multiple year repeats and said it was really bad compared to past years (this was my first trip). They also speculated that with normal winters the population would be back in 2-3 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As I do every year!

Me too!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes I like to put deer in the freezer but I can do that in Connecticut. Taken deer on Anticosti is the bonus part of the trip. The experience is the most important and the people. I miss the years hunting with LBK. Maybe someday I will get back into his week. Just had to go earlier because of the price and two add'l days hunting. It's about the hunt not the meat. I'm a seniorrso the license if free in Connecticut onlyhave to pay for the tags. And in the coastal zones the limit is as many as you want because replacement tags are given out for does taken.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What a great thread. It veered into territory I am passionate about. I would hope, that as hunters, we would all be supportive of our fellow outdoors men and women, offer them sincere congratulations when ever they have a successful hunt, and never criticize the size,or score, of any animal taken in an ethical manner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.