Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
looking to start using a different kind of bp substite for my bp rifles.
been using goex 2f and 3f for years,going to start using something a little more user friendly,at least to try it.
what is everyone opinion of the best they have used.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
TRIPLE 7, AND AMERICAN PIONEER IN 3FG

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dunno re best; because I've only used 777.
Couple weekends ago I was plinking w/ my GPR; shooting and reloading as quickly as I can with no nipple picking between loads(that's what she said...); 11 shots before a detectable very slight hangfire. Let gun sit for 4 days before cleaning. Took it in with me in my morning shower and cleaned it up quick and easy.

One very cold hunt 3 years ago, had gun loaded for several days before shot; no detectable hangfire at all.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I started with BP back in 76 or so. As Pyrodex came out ,then 777 ,I tried them. After having to throw unused partial cans out year after year from them degrading, I went back to BP. In my inline I use BH209 though.Don't let any one tell you that BH209 will give you 10-15 shots with cleaning either. I just stuck a sabot bullet about 6 " above the powder the other day and like to have never go it out.

Stick with the
BP

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started 30 years ago with Pyrodex, playing with 777 and APP along the way. Finally started using real BP when I bought my first flintlock. I'll never go back to subs.

IMO Pyrodex is just awful nasty stuff. I had good luck with 777 and APP in some guns (and cartridges with the APP) but other guns that just hated the stuff. I found BP works well in everything I have, lights easy and is no harder to clean than anything else.

Last edited by cas6969; 11/09/17.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
BH 209 if you're shooting a rifle that's primed with a 209.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How about IMR white hots,anyone try those?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are shooting a sidelock, I cant imagine anything more user friendly than regular black.

In an inline that can use it, BH 209.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For in-lines I couldn't tell you. For trad rifles the original probably won't be equaled.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
FRESH 777 works well in traditional rifles, if you can't get or store BP. With good technique, BP isn't as much trouble as some think.

Among substitutes, BH209 has no peer in the guns that can use it, IMHO.

Kind of late to start dinking around now, but next year I plan to install the cap ignition in my Knight and give Old Eynsford a "shot".

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I used Pyrodex back in the 70s because you couldn't find black powder anymore. I quickly learned to treat it the same as black powder because it seemed to foul and promote rust just as fast. I'm going to start looking for the real stuff again.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in Charlotte. Where can I find real black powder around here. Used it forever but don't have anymore. Broke out the renegade last week and killed a doe with pyrodex but would prefer black powder.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
FRESH 777 works well in traditional rifles, if you can't get or store BP. With good technique, BP isn't as much trouble as some think.

That word "FRESH" is the key. I chased a lot of non problems because of deteriorated 777 or Pyrodex.Went back to BP and had no more problems..

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Not to side track but what is the best way to store 777? I keep it in the box and that inside a zip lock freezer bag but there has to be a better system.

Golden............
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by davidlea
Not to side track but what is the best way to store 777? I keep it in the box and that inside a zip lock freezer bag but there has to be a better system.

I use to take mine and first screwed the lid on with a piece of plastic shopping bag under it,put it in a zip lock bag and then in a metal sealed ammo can.It still degraded.The best thing to do is throw out what is left in the jug or use it soon for practice and next hunting season by a new one. I live in Colorado where it is relatively dry. I can't imagine what happens to it in more humid areas

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by davidlea

We are doing something very similar with 777 pellets. I help with a Service member program that takes troops afield for black powder deer season. We end up with a box or two of extra pellets every year.

I try to burn the old pellets during preseason sight-in and function checks, and open a new box for the hunts. Each troop does a sight-in with the new pellets, so we know if there has been a huge shift in POI before we get in the stand.

BUT, I'm usually worried that the pellets are bad at the start of the prep every season. This my second year, hasn't been an issue in the humidity of Virginia - yet.

We were given some sealed 777 pellets this year, they were labeled under $16 a box, so I'm pretty sure they were several years old.

No issues, they fired through 50 rounds of sight-in, 10 rounds of function checks, and 3 of the 5 shots fired - killed a deer.

Last edited by AH64guy; 11/13/17.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks, the humidity here in middle TN is ugly. I'm using pellets and I'm guessing no matter what I'm getting some moisture intrusion. It's similar to trying a new lot of powder if much time goes by between using it. It's a conundrum-I like to have a good supply on hand because there have been times that even Pyrodex is hard to find but it doesn't store well. I wonder if a packet of dissecant in the bag would help?

Golden............
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by blairvt
I'm in Charlotte. Where can I find real black powder around here. Used it forever but don't have anymore. Broke out the renegade last week and killed a doe with pyrodex but would prefer black powder.

Blair,

Give these folks a call and they will help you out. I have lost track of the number of pounds of BP I have bought from them.

POWDER, INC LINK

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I gave several of the non-BP's a try. Nothing worked consistently.
This was mostly w/inlines.
BP is a bit harder to find these days, but I don't see a viable alternative.
Have my old metal Goex cans in kitchen above cabinets, they blend right in with the other nostalgia stuff.
BlairVT, I know of one place in Christiansburg that carries BP[not sure if you are hunting up this way anymore].

FJB & FJT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.