Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
If you haven't picked up your copy yet, you should! It's a wonderful book, filled with both advice and great hunting stories, and written exceptionally well. It has been a pleasure reading it since I got my copy two weeks ago. I could have easily devoured the entire book already, but I'm pacing myself because I don't want to be done! Of course, it will get re-read after the first reading, but then I'll be jumping back and forth to my favorite stories.

A couple of my favorite quotes so far…

From "Window Seat"

"It was odd seeing the land we'd stalked from a viewpoint that, with a little conceit, could be considered God's. It was as if for one brief, almost ungraspable moment, I had glimpsed the way everything fit together: the land, water, and sky, and both hunters and hunted.

And then I was home."

(Amazing piece of writing here, and the whole story was like this!)

From "The Buffalo of the North"

"Hunters often talk of the regret we feel when killing, even though we accept death as part of life, but this feeling went deeper, somewhere back into the time when the world was just us and the animals we chased. The bull grew larger as we walked, and I could see the hard fractures in his horns, the scars of fights with other bulls. Along his nose, was one long scar, perhaps from a near miss by a wolf. We stood for a long moment looking down, and then David reached over and put his arm around me, saying something in Inuktituk. I didn't recognize the words, but understood perfectly: We are alive. We are alive."

Mr Barsness, thanks for writing such a great book. I think I own most everything you've written, and I continue to look forward to each new offering!

(Also, I sure hope you don't mind me adding a couple quotes I really liked from your book!)

Last edited by JohnChilds; 11/08/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've come to the conclusion year's ago anything written by John Barsness is a worth while read. Learned many things from John's articles. The thing about John is he actually does what he's writing about. It's from experience not theory. That shows in his writing.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by 7 STW
I've come to the conclusion year's ago anything written by John Barsness is a worth while read. Learned many things from John's articles. The thing about John is he actually does what he's writing about. It's from experience not theory. That shows in his writing.

Couldn't agree with this more. I've never met John, but take it from someone who has made his living hunting, guiding and trapping for 40-years now- John knows his stuff. John, Phil Shoemaker, and Brian Pearce are in my opinion three of the best outdoor writers that North America has ever produced. I do a fair bit of writing myself ( mostly trapping articles) so I appreciate the work these three guys put in every month with quality articles. Anything they write is worth reading as far as Im concerned.

Last edited by yukon254; 11/08/17.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks very much to all you guys. It's always good to hear from readers!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well Daggum from Milligan to turning out good reads, Good to hear Barnsey... I still miss old Mike near daily when I look at that big Muley he mounted for me. Wild ride.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, but what's "Milligan"?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnChilds
If you haven't picked up your copy yet, you should! It's a wonderful book, filled with both advice and great hunting stories, and written exceptionally well. It has been a pleasure reading it since I got my copy two weeks ago. I could have easily devoured the entire book already, but I'm pacing myself because I don't want to be done! Of course, it will get re-read after the first reading, but then I'll be jumping back and forth to my favorite stories.

A couple of my favorite quotes so far…

From "Window Seat"

"It was odd seeing the land we'd stalked from a viewpoint that, with a little conceit, could be considered God's. It was as if for one brief, almost ungraspable moment, I had glimpsed the way everything fit together: the land, water, and sky, and both hunters and hunted.

And then I was home."

(Amazing piece of writing here, and the whole story was like this!)

From "The Buffalo of the North"

"Hunters often talk of the regret we feel when killing, even though we accept death as part of life, but this feeling went deeper, somewhere back into the time when the world was just us and the animals we chased. The bull grew larger as we walked, and I could see the hard fractures in his horns, the scars of fights with other bulls. Along his nose, was one long scar, perhaps from a near miss by a wolf. We stood for a long moment looking down, and then David reached over and put his arm around me, saying something in Inuktituk. I didn't recognize the words, but understood perfectly: We are alive. We are alive."

Mr Barsness, thanks for writing such a great book. I think I own most everything you've written, and I continue to look forward to each new offering!

(Also, I sure hope you don't mind me adding a couple quotes I really liked from your book!)

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this an old book, not coming up on Amazon.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Barkoff

No. It's quite new. Go to http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/

And order there.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by Barkoff

No. It's quite new. Go to http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/

And order there.

Regards, Guy

Thank you sir!

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you have any difficulty with the website, call 406-521-0273, and our friendly staff (she's named Eileen) will help you.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,528
Posts18,452,881
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.