V
Seriously.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You can't make this schit up!

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
IMO a 45 Super kit on your 45 makes it a dead heat .

Love my 45 Super.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
someone at the gun shop told me FBI originally chose 10mm glock but quickly changed their mind because of excessive power.
any idea if this is true ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i am quickly becoming addicted to underwood's web page.
in .357sig how about 2100fps?
https://underwoodammo.com/product/handgun-ammo/357-sig-65-grain-xtreme-defender/

should add, 600lbs of energy too

That's getting into PDW country right there, from a pistol you can hide under a T shirt.

this stuff kind of reminds me of a few years ago when i was screwing around with a tok. in 7.62x25. Light bullet but fast.
it penetrated the steel lid of a 50gallong drum, penetrated the air tank for a roofing air gun, and bulged the other side.
friend of mine in iraq was assigned to the iraqi police. We shipped them a bunch of 9mm glocks which they sold in the black market and went back to their tok's preferring that round which penetrated car doors quite aedequately. Russians seemed to like it in WWII too.

Agreed Ron. I've shot a few Toks and consider it the next thing to the 30 Carbine. Loaded hot with good bullets (XTP etc) I see little practical advantage to the Sig round.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Agreed Ron. I've shot a few Toks and consider it the next thing to the 30 Carbine. Loaded hot with good bullets (XTP etc) I see little practical advantage to the Sig round.

Compared to the Tokarev? The 357 Sig actually fits in modern pistols. Seems like a pretty clear advantage to me. As for ballistics, it can duplicate anything the Tokarev can do. They are a lot more alike than different, except the OAL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by persiandog
someone at the gun shop told me FBI originally chose 10mm glock but quickly changed their mind because of excessive power.

Not true. The FBI ditched it because some of their pansy ass men agents and their woman agents could not handle the recoil. That is, though,how the 40 S&W cartridge was born. The 10mm short, as I call it!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Not true. The FBI ditched it because some of their pansy ass men agents and their woman agents could not handle the recoil. That is, though,how the 40 S&W cartridge was born. The 10mm short, as I call it!

This is true. FBI contacted S&W to developed the 10mm Lite. They thought the .45 ACP also was too much to handle by the "NEW" breed of agents. The honeymoon began. Shorter, lighter bullet and a little less pressure than the 10mm is what they came up with.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The FBI's short history with the 10mm was accomplished with S&W's large framed Model 1076 pistol - the Glock 10mm had yet to be developed.

The 10mm was downloaded for two reasons: The control factor and the fact that the full-power loads over expanded and didn't penetrate like they wanted. They backed off the velocity about 200 fps - expansion decreased - and the desirable amount of penetration was achieved.

It was only then that someone had the bright idea that there might be a market for a .40 caliber cartridge in a 9mm sized pistol. After all, if you're going to limit yourself to a 180 gr bullet @ 1000 fps, that can be accomplished with a smaller pistol that holds more rounds.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 41magfan
It was only then that someone had the bright idea that there might be a market for a .40 caliber cartridge in a 9mm sized pistol. After all, if you're going to limit yourself to a 180 gr bullet @ 1000 fps, that can be accomplished with a smaller pistol that holds more rounds.

so , I can use .40 on my glock 17 ? or any other 9mm ?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No, what I was making reference to was the fact that the 10mm must be chambered in the larger .45 sized platforms whereas the .40 S&W can be chambered in most 9mm sized pistols. It just didn't make sense to carry a "downloaded" 10mm in a larger pistol that held fewer rounds. That's what drove the development and popularity of the .40 S&W cartridge.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

Compared to the Tokarev? The 357 Sig actually fits in modern pistols. Seems like a pretty clear advantage to me. As for ballistics, it can duplicate anything the Tokarev can do. They are a lot more alike than different, except the OAL.

I was speaking of practical performance, as in killing things. The 357 Sig is indeed chambered in modern pistols; for that it can thank it's father, the 40 S&W. The 9mm is obviously its mother as it is the feminine of the species. Years ago I killed junk critters and varmints with Federal 9BPLE and if the Sig could kill them deader quicker, I'd have to see it for myself.

Swap it for a G22 and you'll be able to shoot 9mm, 40 S&W and 357 Sig by changing barrels. Maybe an extractor if you want to shoot 9mm a lot.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

It's true. That led to the birth of the 40 S&W. They claimed the females especially had trouble controlling the 10. Regardless, the 10mm is a little much for personal defense up close.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just for reference, I believe the gun the fbi was running at the time was the S&W 1076 and not a glock at all. But I have been wrong before.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The brief adoption of the FBI to the 10mm was a direct result/overreaction of the Dade County shootout; the guns werent Glocks.

It met all of the objectives except shootability over the range of agents. The 40 as mentioned, got the nod to increase shootability.

The 10 effort was first and foremost about everyone in the agency having the same ammo, primarily, which eventually happened.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

Just for reference, I believe the gun the fbi was running at the time was the S&W 1076 and not a glock at all. But I have been wrong before.

You are correct.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HawkI
The brief adoption of the FBI to the 10mm was a direct result/overreaction of the Dade County shootout; the guns werent Glocks.

It met all of the objectives except shootability over the range of agents. The 40 as mentioned, got the nod to increase shootability.

The 10 effort was first and foremost about everyone in the agency having the same ammo, primarily, which eventually happened.

This ^^^

It had nothing to do with Glock.

The nine was not working out (with available bullets at the time). Same with the .45ACP. Capacity, recoil, and gun size all were considered.

Public stigma on using hollow points by police still existed in many minds of the decision makers.

Back in the day many state police agencies went with the 1086 and 1006. Mostly in their highway patrol units.

The Texan .46 still isn't out yet. Bummer

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I posted this before.

I had a long talk with a Cabela's Gum Library Manger (this one new his stuff).

Their inventory around the country of plastic guns was huge. Especially Glocks. They stopped buying anything .40 S&W for awhile. Paid a lot less for any plastic gun than they used to except for a few manufactures. HK, Sig and a couple others. Glock was not one of them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Swap it for a G22 and you'll be able to shoot 9mm, 40 S&W and 357 Sig by changing barrels. Maybe an extractor if you want to shoot 9mm a lot.

Actually, the G31 is what you should get if you want easy convertibility between those three calibers. The problem with starting with a G22 is that not all G22 mags are set up right for reliably handling .357 Sig, but all G31 mags are set up to reliably handle .40 S&W. So even if you mainly wanted a Glock in .40 S&W, it would be smart to buy the G31, and switch out the barrel to .40 S&W, keeping the .357 Sig barrel in storage for versatility. Now all your mags will work with either .40 S&W or .357 Sig.

Then, to add more versatility, you just need a 9mm conversion barrel, some G17 mags, and a G17 extractor and ejector.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by RJM
Originally Posted by JWD8310
An officer I know in a different county took a 180gr bullet out of a 10mm in the center of his body armor. He said it sucked real bad.

...tell him it could have sucked a lot worse....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2LKZy5-y64

kind of sad to say it, but reconize i think the trash heap they were shooting at, just north of phx off of the carefree highway, west of ben avery.

Yep I know that hill and outcropping.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

727 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,200
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.