Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shrapnel

We try the same thing with a bow. A good day will net about 3 prairie dogs...

Net of 3 is good with a bow........ 50 percent is what I aim for with the .22 if it is breezy!!!!!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's snowing, and all you can think of is summertime? Goodness gracious, kids.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by keith
We have cooled with water down the bore since 1987 using 788's, 700's, Sako's all chrome moly, and the finest SS barrels made. We had access to private p. dog towns, the shooting was simply beyond imagination with 650-1200 rounds of center fire being fired per person per day.

Any attempt to air cool a barrel by rotating in 90* heat is a pipe dream. What will work slowly is a mixture of 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol rubbed on the barrel, let the fluid drip off the bottom of the barrel.

Cooling with water is NOT messy at all!

What really works and works well is running water down the bore. You will need a good rod guide that seals off the chamber, and cleaning rod, a jag that will fit the bore tight with the patch, Swab of the size to dry chamber, and an oil can attachment that is about $3 from Wal Mart or a parts store.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Water will NOT warp the barrel as the change in temp is not fast enough.

Also, when you use 4 tight fitting patches to "clean" the barrel, you get the water OUT, and also remove a lot of carbon in the process allowing you to shoot longer strings.

***Few think of this issue, gases that are thousands of degrees proceed the bullet in the bore, and any tiny amount of water is evaporated.

[Linked Image]

IN this rifle caddy, the rear is higher than the front, tipping the muzzle down. My hunting partner also had a rifle caddy,

We dumped out a box of 50 rounds and fired as fast as we could acquire targets. Some rifles were fired 50 times some were fired up to 300, depending on the caliber, barrels and stocks got hot.

Procedure we used

I like Neil Jones and Lucas bore guides, they seal off the back of the chamber. The bore guide in the picture is a Sinclair.

Insert bore guide in the chamber
insert hose in the back of the bore guide
let water gravity feed down the bore, it will take about 6 oz of water...that is all
pull Oil can adapter off the bore guide when finished running water down the bore
Run 4 dry patched down the bore
Dry the chamber-I use a 45 caliber brush and shot gun patch with lighter fluid on it
insert bolt, go back to shooting
Takes 3 Minutes

A rotation system does not work, you have a lot of down time. We even tried it with 10 guns each with my hunting partner and I.

Load development at the rifle range is very quick when you can cool the barrel this way.

We would push a very light oil patch down the bore when the barrel had been cleaned that night. I never have seen rust in the bore scope.

Good luck

Id have to, again, just have iron on tap.

Shrapnel would quarantine any such contraptions......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I crank the truck and turn the A/C on full blast then stand the rifle up in the passenger seat with the bolt open & butt on the floorboard, they cool off pretty quickly that way.

The last PD shoot I went on I took five rifles, two of them being 22-250's. I also had a 20 practical, 223, and a 6mmBR but the 22-250's got 90% of the use. The others are fun, but the -250's are just "More Fun" to me, they just hit with an authority that the others lack. I have muzzle brakes on them so I can spot the hits, I doubt they'd be as satisfying without the brakes. Barrels are a wear item though, barrel makers have gotta eat too.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hawk I, what are you talking about?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually have a small cooler with ice cubes in it to keep some drinking water and a few sodas cold. I'll rub one of the ice cubes up and down the barrel with the rifle upended and muzzle down so the water drips off and doesn't get down into the barrel channel. Wipe off any water with my hand and any small droplets of moisture left evaporate quickly. Of course if the barrel is glowing red and flames are shooting up out of the barrel channel I might modify that technique a tad...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
We have cooled with water down the bore since 1987 using 788's, 700's, Sako's all chrome moly, and the finest SS barrels made. We had access to private p. dog towns, the shooting was simply beyond imagination with 650-1200 rounds of center fire being fired per person per day.

Any attempt to air cool a barrel by rotating in 90* heat is a pipe dream. What will work slowly is a mixture of 50/50 water and rubbing alcohol rubbed on the barrel, let the fluid drip off the bottom of the barrel.

What really works and works well is running water down the bore. You will need a good rod guide that seals off the chamber, and cleaning rod, a jag that will fit the bore tight with the patch, Swab of the size to dry chamber, and an oil can attachment that is about $3 from Wal Mart or a parts store.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also, when you use 4 tight fitting patches to "clean" the barrel, you get the water OUT, and also remove a lot of carbon in the process allowing you to shoot longer strings.

***Few think of this issue, gases that are thousands of degrees proceed the bullet in the bore, and any tiny amount of water is evaporated.

[Linked Image]

IN this rifle caddy, the rear is higher than the front, tipping the muzzle down. My hunting partner also had a rifle caddy,

We dumped out a box of 50 rounds and fired as fast as we could acquire targets. Some rifles were fired 50 times some were fired up to 300, depending on the caliber, barrels and stocks got hot.

Procedure we used

I like Neil Jones and Lucas bore guides, they seal off the back of the chamber. The bore guide in the picture is a Sinclair.

let water gravity feed down the bore, it will take about 6 oz of water...that is all
pull Oil can adapter off the bore guide when finished running water down the bore
Dry the chamber-I use a 45 caliber brush and shot gun patch with lighter fluid on it
Takes 3 Minutes

A rotation system does not work, you have a lot of down time. We even tried it with 10 guns each with my hunting partner and I.

Load development at the rifle range is very quick when you can cool the barrel this way.

We would push a very light oil patch down the bore when the barrel had been cleaned that night. I never have seen rust in the bore scope.

Good luck

Shrap sells Coke, that bottle would get you tossed off the ranch I bet.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Procedure we used

Takes 3 Minutes

Good luck

Not only that, but anyone with that much stuff wouldn't be allowed on the invitational. We go to shoot not give enemas...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talk about anal...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

More guns, no barrel cooling gear.

More guns are okay. Catching guns on fire is okay.

Anything else had better cook steaks or shrimp, do the dishes or dig holes to [bleep] in.
We do not require a bidet, nor do our guns.

Clarke brings two bags of flour; I dont ask questions and I dont sleep in his tent.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Procedure we used

Takes 3 Minutes

Good luck

Bottles are inanimate objects. Ask deflave.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Procedure we used

Takes 3 Minutes

Good luck

Bottles are inanimate objects. Ask deflave.

Symbolism, lad, symbolism.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks for your patience and explanation!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

More guns, no barrel cooling gear.

More guns are okay. Catching guns on fire is okay.

Anything else had better cook steaks or shrimp, do the dishes or dig holes to [bleep] in.
We do not require a bidet, nor do our guns.

Clarke brings two bags of flour; I dont ask questions and I dont sleep in his tent.

This is what prairie dog shooting is about. Cooling equipment is not a consideration...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Shrapnel, any Vienna sausages and crackers involved?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Piclkled eggs and Spam

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Piclkled eggs and Spam

And THAT is the reason I have declined offers to meet up and go shooting with you.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Piclkled eggs and Spam

And THAT is the reason I have declined offers to meet up and go shooting with you.... wink

It has almost caused me not to go...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ingwe

Piclkled eggs and Spam

It has almost caused me not to go...

I can understand that perfectly....

but 'almost' is the operative word there...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,636 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.