Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Have to pull some LRAB and have heard some collet dies will damage the jacket as they are very thin in the nose. I have also heard inertia pullers are bad for accuracy as the jacket core bond gets disrupted. So are there any alternatives? How about pliers with a piece of inner tube for padding.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If they were just seated recently and there isn't a lot of neck tension, a collet die adjusted correctly will work fine. If I were really worried about it, I would use an inertia puller. I guarantee you that the bullet will see significantly higher G forces upon firing than during the pulling operation. It is a bonded bullet, so there will be no core separation. Even a standard cup and core should be able to survive without separation, I've never heard of that before. I usually shove a foam ear plug into the puller to protect the tip of the bullet. It will get deformed if you don't. Pliers is a recipe for disaster, you think a collet will damage but a pair of pliers won't?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I agree with gzig5. Before "pulling" any, seat the bullet a little deeper in the case to break the crimp or neck/bullet bond. Doing this will make the pull much easier, and with a proper collet, not mark the bullet. Word of caution tho...if the bullets are seated so the neck/ojive meet, you may not have enough bullet body to grab with the collet, use an inertia instead, but do make sure the bullets are broken free.
Good Luck

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Seat the bullet a tad deeper and use a collet die--just don't wrang down on the handle too tight........there's a sweet spot between squeezing the collet too tight or too loose.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Inertia with a bit of padding so the nose doesn't get nerfed up has always worked for me.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A standard C&C bullet may get disrupted by an inertia puller, but I seriously doubt your going to disrupt a bonded core bullet. As Blacktailer mentions, put some foam or cotton padding in the puller so you don't muck the point.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Collet is faster for me than inertia. And it doesn't mess up the point.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Grip n Pull is a great pullet. The jacket may be scuffed, but that will not affect anything.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Grip n Pull is a great pullet. The jacket may be scuffed, but that will not affect anything.

That thing is brilliant!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by sbhooper

That thing is brilliant!

I do like mine, but I pinched my palms with it a bunch whilst learning its limitations. blush

It greatly helps to bump the bullets a li'l deeper with the seating die, before employing the Grip-n-Pull. There just might be something to that, "cold welding" thing, after all.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On the inertia hammer I cut a 3/4" piece of 5/16" fuel hose and place it in the bottom , the hole keeps the nose from damaging , try it !

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On the inertia hammer I cut a 3/4" piece of 5/16" fuel hose and place it in the bottom , the hole keeps the nose from damaging , try it !

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks

The grip and pull looks convenient. Didn't think about the bonding so might try the inertia puller until I get a new collet or the grip and pull. Bumping the bullet is a good idea especially older brass and all military loads. I actually broke an inertia hammer with NATO loads. I have mixed collet pulled with virgin bullets and saw no difference in accuracy.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a hornady collet puller and it works fantastic.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a hornady collet puller and it works fantastic.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
A standard C&C bullet may get disrupted by an inertia puller, but I seriously doubt your going to disrupt a bonded core bullet. As Blacktailer mentions, put some foam or cotton padding in the puller so you don't muck the point.

When I use an inertial puller I put a single foam earplug in it to keep from battering the poor lil ol bullets' noses.

I'm a bit put off the inertials these days since that post a while back about a primer going ka-blooey while residing in an inertial puller doing its thing, so I think I'll just quit pulling bullets altogether.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use foam in mine too, doesn’t hurt them at all. I have seen bullets advertised as air pulled. I wonder how they do that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a Hornady Collet puller and it works fantastic.

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I have seen bullets advertised as air pulled. I wonder how they do that?

Cases are subjected to a vacuum. Best and fastest method for pull downs, bullets are almost like new.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.