Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
So I get back from my 2nd elk hunt with unpunched tags. Then figure I better get better ready for an up coming deer muzzle loader hunt in Nebraska where scopes and sabots are legal.

I had an old Weaver V-7 that was always good ( at least the last time I use it) and I got it set up at home. A trip to the range ( which is a 90 mile round trip), had me scratching my head.I could not zero it and finally noticed the power adjustment lens was loose.I unscrewed it and pieces fell out.Back to the House. I had another V-7 on my Model 88 , .308 that was also good ( I thought). At least my .308 always shot true.

I got that off the 88, set it up on the ML and was back at the range two days later. I got the elevation set ,but was about 6" to the right. 6-8 shots later,I concluded the windage adjustment was bad.

Back to the house ( another 90mile round trip). No one in Colorado Springs had muzzle loader scope,so I settled for a Rifle Nikon Pro Staff, 2-7 at Bass Pro. ( It was not on sale). Back to the house,took that bad V-7 off, mounted the Nikon.Today,another 90 mile trip to the range. It's impossible, at least by me, to bore sight an inline ML , but I thought it was close. At 25 yards I was 8 " high.I cranked it down and the first 4 shots were still 2 feet high at 100yds. Finally got it set in, 1" high at 100 and then went to the 200 yard range just to check it. 10" low at 200. I can live with that as I don't shoot deer with a ML at 200 yards,but figured it was good to know .

270 miles in travel, 1/2 cannister of BH 209 and 30 Hornady SST Fusion saboted 240 gr bullets, freezing my butt of in 30 degree weather, and I think I am almost ready.Now I only have to sit with the heating pad tonight for couple of hours to get my bad shoulder settled down .

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
With all you have been through in changing scopes I hope you smoke a giant in Nebraska.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
With all you have been through in changing scopes I hope you smoke a giant in Nebraska.

Thanks, I should.Private land , 350 acres right on the Republican River, no other hunters exceot family permitted

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saddlesore what do you attribute the slow elk season to, too warm, not enough snow? Usually you are good to go for sure.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
Saddlesore what do you attribute the slow elk season to, too warm, not enough snow? Usually you are good to go for sure.

Where I hunted ML, a couple of sheepherders were riding all around trying to find sheep they missed earlier. That drove all the elk out. More elk were being killed up high though

In 2nd rifle season the elk were nocturnal and kept to the heavy blow down during the day .I can't get around in that stuff any more.They were shooting some nice elk 6-7 miles back in, where I could not ride back that far. A few years ago, I had to give up those full pack ins due to new physical limitations.

Basically, I knew where the elk were,but could not get to them. It's the craps getting old for sure

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That scope ordeal sounds miserable. Its been a while since I had a rodeo like that. Good luck in Nebraska.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never a bad thing to have open sights on one. Pull the scope and rock on.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never a bad thing to have open sights on one. Pull the scope and rock on.
I do have the opensights set,but old eyes see 2-3 rear sights. Hate to take an average

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I hear you, barely...

Luckily I can still see sights fine, but I can't read a menu to save my life.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I hear you, barely...

Luckily I can still see sights fine, but I can't read a menu to save my life.

Trust me ,it won't get any better

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Saddlesore,

I know what you're saying about the full pack-in two week trips. Had to give them up about ten years ago. Two weeks in the high & thin, sleeping on cots and hiking "x" miles a day got to be more than I could handle. I just got off the phone with one of my hunting buddies and he said that this is the best year ever. Ten hunters took ten elk, six bulls and four cows. They were hunting between 8,500' and 10,000' with 10"-12" of snow on the ground. A herd of about 200 elk was in the area and wanted to stay put so they took advantage of them. Only had one wreck. They were packing out a 6X6 bull when the pack horse lost his footing on a steep and slippery slope, rolled and ended up on his back with all four feet in the air . Had the pack saddle with two rear quarters on him and the head strapped, tines up, on a cross pole. He said the horse fought like crazy for a minute and then closed his eyes and just laid there. Cut the cinch strap and rolled him over and reloaded him -- Ah, the good old days.

Anyway, try a peep sight on that scope killer. Got one on my cross-sticks rifle and its not that bad...

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Used a peep for awhile Johnny. Got so I saw two holes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
767 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 88 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.