Print Thread
Hop To
A
Adams Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I haven't had to set a resizing die since 2005 and wanted to get some advice as I'm a little rusty.

All my rifles are bolt action and used for hunting purposes. All my dies are RCBS full length.

When I first got my .270 wsm I bought 2 boxes of Winchester factory ammunition. This ammunition was loaded very hot and really expanded out the cases. So what I was able to do to set this die, was to back it off a turn and slowly increase the turn until the case would no longer fit in the rifle. Then kept increasing the (turning in/down) die until the case just fit nicely. Just at the point where the bolt closed nicely.

However on my .300 wsm I was never able to achieve this as I never bought factory ammunition. I purchased new cases and never loaded them hot enough to expand like the factory ammo. So I remember doing a lot of fiddling around with this die and don't know that I ever got it set right. No longer have this gun. Did just buy another though but won't be shooting this rifle til spring.

Now I'm getting ready to set the resizing die for my new .308 Win and Lapua brass. I have Stoney Point (now Hornady) head and shoulders measuring tools so I have measured my cases. I have loaded a lot of different powder measurements while working up loads so I have many different measurements so the cases measure all different sizes.

So do I

A. Use the method I used with my .270 wsm where I back the die off and then keep turning in until the case doesn't fit and then turn a little more until it fits. My concern here is that the cases are not expanded enough and this method will not work. But have never worked a .308 Win before.

B. Take the longest head and shoulders measurement and set the die until I slightly push back the shoulder on the longest cases. This will leave the brass in slightly different sizes. Then after firing all my brass again repeat this step slowly getting them to finally fit perfect for my rifle.

C. Take the shortest head and shoulders measurement and set the die to this measurement so that when I'm done all my brass will be the exact same size. Then after firing all my brass again repeat this step slowly getting them to finally fit perfect for my rifle.

D. None of the above as I'm an idiot and have no clue what the he77 I'm doing.

Thanks,
Adams

GB1

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always used the A method on all of my rifles also known as partial full length resizing. Just recently bought several Lee collet resizing dies for just about everything so don't have to worry about it anymore.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

A

I set my dies for a .0015" shoulder setback

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I set the die to bump the longest back .002", check the case to be sure it feeds as expected and never touch the die again.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are many answers to the question of setting a die; all of them sworn to by their proponents, and all of them contradictory.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.