Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'd like to thank our own Wayne van Zwoll (WvZ) for his latest exclusive Campfire article "Why Hunters Muff Shots" which can be found by clicking the link.

Please use this thread to ask Wayne questions about the article, and please no one mention the mule deer I missed in Montana in 1993 that I only dream about once a week anymore. smile

Thanks a ton, Wayne!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bump for publication.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wayne - seems to me that I see more hunters using really large, powerful scopes on heavy "target" type rifles for hunting.

I think this has contributed to more "muffed shots" in recent years. One hunter I know was convinced that she had to take a .300 Rem Ultra Mag Sendero, and a 6.5-20x scope to South Africa for plains game. I'd urged her to take a rifle like her husband's .270 Winchester, but... She had to use the 14 pound rifle.

She got some game, but told me that she had a really hard time getting on target with that heavy rifle & big scope...

Sometimes we don't give the typical American hunting rifle & scope enough credit. Of course, whatever rifle is chosen, practice with it is vital. Shot placement, sometimes in a hurry, is key.

Regards, Guy

W
WvZ Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
That's my take, too, Guy. One of the women I've hosted on my annual safaris toted a .338 Lapua with a scope to match. She shot it quite well -- but it was a burden on the trail, and she needed lots of time to get it on target. This trend shows no sign of fading. On the bright side, perhaps it will deflate the prices of early M70s still wearing 2 1/2x Alaskans and 4x Leupolds. Best.... Wayne

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Great article! Not only lots of good sense but also really fine writing.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks Wayne enjoyed the article and I am going to amp up my offhand practice.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great article!

I have a question on how balance factors into the equation. I have two rifles that are my"go to" rifles: an MRC ASR, with Montana's 24 inch No 2 contour barrel, and a M70 Featherweight (BACO). I find that the forward weight of the MRC rifle settles the crosshairs down quite a bit more than the M70, but absolutely love carrying and shooting the Featherweight. What sort of practice/exercises can one do to help settle a muzzle-light rifle like the Featherweight?

Thanks

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just read the article, Wayne. Good stuff there! Thanks.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great article .Met you at a Casper outdoor show a few yrs. back..I like your factual, real world approach to outdoor and shooting articles...I recently had some minor trouble with a 3x9x40 so I called the factory and asked if they would trade it back for a 6x42..They said yes and after 3 wks it arrived from the Czech Republic..I shot the best group in yrs with my .300 Win.Featherweight..About a quarter inch at 100 yds..Never shot at game over 6x anyway..

Last edited by ManyMoons; 05/16/18.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.