Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Almost all shots from shooting sticks, and a few (many years ago) off hand. Change of hunting locations and “not” walking the timber much anymore, dictates longer shots. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Home in Iowa-25% offhand(hopefully with a tree to rest on), 50% sitting either in a stand or on the ground and 25% kneeling. Can't recall ever trying a prone shot on big game-the terrain I hunt just wouldn't allow it.
Hunting out west probably 75% prone (equally divided between off a pack and off a bipod. 25% sitting or kneeling-always with a pack, bipod or sticks.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Depends on the season.

Alpine-95% prone across pack. Average shot is 200yds I'd say

Rut-95% offhand . Most shots are less than 75 yards. Often moving at weird angles. (coming to a call) I love to hunt ridge tops and heavy timber. If I chose to hunt clearcuts like many, prone would be more likely.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember one offhand shot, a mule deer buck at about 25'.

My last one was prone off my pack. I use shooting sticks a bunch.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I usually let the situation at hand dictate shooting position. I really like using my Primos Trigger Stix, because they are so adaptable to many different scenarios. I guess my favorite position is sitting and resting on the Stix, but on a recent deer hunt in Missouri, the endless thick trees in my hunt area provided handy, standing rests. Most of my pronghorns have been shot after crawling to the top of a ridge, flipping down the Harris Bipod, and shooting from prone.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Now that's a good question and deserved real attention.
I started hunting deer when I was a young boy with my dad. He let me shoot some of the deer he had tags for and so did my mom. I have been shooting deer and larger game now for 53 years. I started hunting game larger then deer when I was 17, so that's been 44 years. I can't count the number of game animals I have killed ------ and I probably could have said that when I was 30years old. I am now 61.
I have killed game with a lot of rifles and 11 different handguns that I can recall as I write this, as well as 3 different bows with wood arrows and one deer killed with an aluminum arrow.

An honest guess would be that about 60-65 percent of my game has been killed off-hand.
The other 40% is divided in categories of Standing-Rested (like a tree branch or rock) sitting, a few (probably 10) kneeling, and at least 40 prone or prone over a back-pack. I also remember killed 3 deer resting over an open door of a Toyota Land Cruiser.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have shot only 1 deer in my life from prone, and one elk seated using a tripod and special head {the Gun Claw}. One elk offhand and one lion offhand (that with a bow). Dozens using a rest, such as a treestand or tree, or truck tailgate, and a few seated. Never shot anything offhand more than 32 yards away (bow).

It's normally too thick for prone shooting where I end up, but of course it's great when you can.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
this is going to probably be geographically specific:

east: still hunting and/or stands, so mostly sitting or offhand. Use a tree when possible to steady. "long" shots are 50-75 yards.
west: prone, long is a different beast out west.

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 11/13/17.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
90% offhand or steadying the rifle against a tree.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I usually slow walk when hunting and drop to one knee for most shots, sitting is next most used position.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can only remember 1 shot taken off=hand since I started in 1982.

Most have been kneeling (rare), sitting (common), prone over pack or with rifle-mounted bipod (fairly common), sitting with a bipod (a couple-three-four), sitting with a tripod (common).

In addition I'l use any solid object I can find to help steady my position. Rocks. Trees. Behind my back or as a rest.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
99% our of a stand. 1% offhand

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm usually in a climbing stand, so I put one foot on the front rail and us my knee as a brace. Or, I sit facing the tree and use the side of the tree as a brace. 90% of the time it's one or the other of these 2. Other 10% off hand.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say 80% sitting or kneeling and shooting off sticks and 20% prone off of a pack. I can't remember the last time I shot offhand while hunting.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I can

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
I can

I remember when you used to shoot offhand matches, too. cool

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Adding up what I remember, I come out to a real rough estimate of 30% standing or offhand, another 30% either sitting or kneeling, often using a hasty sling. 30% prone, which is with a sling, off a bipod, or pack. Another 10% of "other", such as shooting out of blinds.

Field expedient rests such as a rock or something are used when available, though a properly adjusted sling and some practice works about as well as anything.

So much depends on what and where a person hunts, and if a person gets around and hunts some different terrain and species without practicing different techniques, it's easy to get outside one's comfort zone.

Overspecialization breeds in weakness, as the old saying goes.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It depends on the circumstances, but I try to get a better position when I can. I probably shoot more game kneeling using a convenient tree/sapling as a rest than any other position, but the last deer I killed, just recently, was shot from prone. She was lying down with her head up looking towards me, with low cover obstructing her body from view and leaving only head and neck visible, down a clear cutline nearly 200 yards away, and I shot her under the chin into the top of the neck. Others recently included one offhand into the back of the neck as it galloped away, and another shot while I was standing braced against a tree at about 90 yards.

One position I used to use a bit, but don't much anymore, is sitting. I'd only really use it if I have plenty of time and can't go prone due to cover or terrain. Dropping to a low kneel (ie sitting on the side of my right foot) with a convenient tree to brace up against, is easier and faster to get into and usually steady enough.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just went through my hunting log. I haven’t been recording the shooting position but I remember the last five years well enough.

So, 5 years, 13 big game animals. 1 offhand, 1 standing off a tripod, 11 prone off a bipod. I tend to hunt open areas with longer shot options, so that probably explains all the bipod/prone shots. My average shot distance has been 366 yards, with a long shot of 575 and a short of 87. The 87 yarder happens to be the offhand shot.

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That said, I actually practice positional shooting a lot and am pretty comfortable with it. I just often have the option for bipod/prone due to the terrain I’m in.

Empirical results rule!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.