Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I don't want to derail this thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12390377/1 so I started a new one.

What shooting positions do you typically use when you hunt big game? I was thinking about this the other day. In my last 30 years of hunting, nearly all of which has been in thick brush in western Washington or Hawaii, I have taken ONE shot on any kind of game animal that was NOT from offhand. The exception was 120 yards across a coffee plantation, which I took from kneeling with a sling.

How does it stack up for you guys?

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
95% prone from a pack or bipod....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Out west most of my animals have been taken while proned out with a few taken from the sitting position over the pack.

Hunting in the east, mostly offhand unless I am in a tree or blind.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Roughly: 60% offhand, 30% kneeling/sitting and 10% prone

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Shooting off my knees ( while sitting) or offhand leaning against a tree account for the bulk of my shots. Since it is usually muddy and/or plain wet, prone is pretty rare in this corner of the swamp.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't needed to take an offhand shot in many years. I've always been able to find a rest of some kind. I always carry 1 trekking pole which has many uses including as an improvised rest. With a little practice, you can use the pole against your leg or in many other ways to steady a rifle. One trick that works great is from a kneeling position. Hold the pole and the small end of a twig with the same hand. Pull away from the bush and lay the rifle over your wrist. The pole will control height and twig will keep it from swaying.
The pole is also a great hiking and balance aid for us older guys.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Okiejohn: 90% from prone or sitting with the aid of a Harris Bi-Pod for Big Game - along with some "rest over the daypack" prone shooting.
I can NOT remember the last time I took an offhand shot at a Big Game Animal of any type - its been a long time since I chased Blacktails in the brushy country of western Washington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Probably 90% sitting position with a shooting sling. The rest, up close, have been off hand. E

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Rough estimate:

50% offhand (even though I much prefer any type of rest)
25% braced against the side of a tree
15% sitting/using a knee (tree stands or knee on ground)
10% various other methods using a walking stick, over a downed tree, pack on top of a rock, shooting house, etc.

It would be tough to find prone shot opportunities in most of the places I hunt...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If possible, I try to shoot prone, including several times Africa with my .375 RUM. If the brush is too high for prone, I'll shoot from a sitting or kneeling position, and as a last resort from a standing position. From every position I'll also try to use a rest: a pack, a rock (with my left hand between it and the gun), shooting sticks, a tree limb next to the trunk, a buddy or guide's shoulder, or anything else that will help steady the gun. As a very last resort, I have offhand.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easily 90% of my shots are either prone with a bipod/pack/rock to rest on, or sitting with a pack or tree to rest on or against.

I take very few off hand shots, but have taken some. The hood of the pickup has accounted for a few critters too...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What T said only my prone or bi pod, backpack rest is probably 98 percent.. The last animal I remember shooting off had was a Kudu about 1995!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GregW
95% prone from a pack or bipod....

This^^^

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer to use the side rear-view mirror as a rest but can use the hood if the animal is on the other side of the road ; )

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
In the middle of the country, lots of time to line up shot.

Out west, heart usually pumping put of my chest, trying to get whatever rest I can.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Probably 90% sitting position with a shooting sling. The rest, up close, have been off hand. E

Same for me.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Primarily offhand. Mostly still hunting in PA, OH. I often will lean against a tree if I can.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
In the middle of the country, lots of time to line up shot.

Out west, heart usually pumping put of my chest, trying to get whatever rest I can.

Funny thing is, I'm about as far west as you can get and I'm rarely more than 500 feet ASL. A lot of times I can see the ocean from where I hunt. But I have hunted in Wyoming and Utah. Altitude will smoke you, and it never goes away.

I remember longer shots and having more time to shoot when I hunted in Oklahoma and Texas as a kid, but that was a long time ago.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
50% offhand

50% prone.

50% seated position off the mirror.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
50% offhand

50% prone.

50% seated position off the mirror.

Travis

I shoot from one position only from driver side of my truck using window as a rest..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
797 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 78 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.