Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Well that's true. Extras always cost more but it would cost more on any barrel from any maker.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If going synth I rather like the G2 forend on the old rigs.
This one was .35 rem Super 16...........which worked great (after weight added to forend hollows)..........but it just didn't look right.
Needs to be a 20-21"
I'd like to assemble another one............in .22 mag.

Like the factory rynite buttstock but def needs a riser if using a scope. Kydex/velcro.......worked great.

[Linked Image]

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a 21 inch barrel chambered in .22 mag would be ideal. i have a .223 in the 21 inch, and a 23 inch bull barrel in 30-30. they both work.

have seen a bit of .22 mags as a conversion from .22 rf that have been re-chambered. i'm not sure that's the best answer, but they seem to work.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well that's true. Extras always cost more but it would cost more on any barrel from any maker.

absolutely true. I was just thinking that makes the older used barrel from TC that have sights look more attractive than buying a custom. In my limited experience MGM seems very fair and certainly a good tip to share with the forum.

have seen a bit of .22 mags as a conversion from .22 rf that have been re-chambered. i'm not sure that's the best answer, but they seem to work.

A concern I have is the 22LR is supposed to be .222 bore. The 22mag is a 224 bore. I dont know how guns like the convertible single six deal with that. It may well be 0.002 is not a big deal, it certainly not optimum. In fact maybe 002 is within spec. If so, then a rim fire could be .220. Basically the tolerances could stack up for or against you. I even wonder if the pilot a standard 22mag reamer will fit a LR bore. I might be tempted to try it at home. Tempted, but leary that it rat holes money in another failed DIY project.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by fourbore

absolutely true. I was just thinking that makes the older used barrel from TC that have sights look more attractive than buying a custom. In my limited experience MGM seems very fair and certainly a good tip to share with the forum.

A concern I have is the 22LR is supposed to be .222 bore. The 22mag is a 224 bore. I dont know how guns like the convertible single six deal with that. It may well be 0.002 is not a big deal, it certainly not optimum. In fact maybe 002 is within spec. If so, then a rim fire could be .220. Basically the tolerances could stack up for or against you. I even wonder if the pilot a standard 22mag reamer will fit a LR bore. I might be tempted to try it at home. Tempted, but leary that it rat holes money in another failed DIY project.

i would not attempt such a solution myself. i'll leave it to someone who might be better at it than me.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The .22 long rifle to .22 magnum conversion is fine. My personal .22 magnum began life as a .22 long rifle "match" stainless 10" Contender barrel and was rechambered by my local gunsmith. It shoots very well and hasn't given me any problems. I suspect much of the accuracy comes from that tighter bore.

The convertible Single Sixes deal with it by using a .224 bore which is why a lot of them don't shoot for [bleep]. My first one was pretty good. I've had about a dozen since and not a one of them shot .22 long rifle ammo well enough to keep .. which is why I didn't. One among them shot .22 magnum ammo well. Given that track record I am truly regretful of selling that first one.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Contenders suck. You all should send me your worthless junk and move on to something useful. I have tried to make them shoot for decades and failed.

Take for example, the .30-30 barrel from Fox Ridge @ 100 yards:

[Linked Image]

Or the .22 short barrel, also from Fox Ridge at 25 yards:

[Linked Image]

Or the worthless Sneezer barrel from Bullberry @ 50 yds...yesterday:

[Linked Image]

Worse yet it the .22 LR barrel from Bullberry @ 50 yds a week back, 10 shots per target:

[Linked Image]

The dang things just simply can't make a symmetrical group. Nope, they are always a bit ragged one way or the other, and sometimes the holes don't even touch. Pure trash I say. About the only thing they are good for....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I notice some feel the 22 mag. is a lost cause ? well I don`t at my home if there is a critter bigger than a chipmunk we all pull out the old 22 mag contender ,I call it the killer gun,you shoot a woodchuck,fox or a raccoon with a 22 mag they stay dead better,including wild stray cats,which we have out here in the country. my friend the butcher who shoots a lot of cows and pigs prefer`s a 22 mag on a bigger cow too. 22 mag is the most overlooked rimfire ever made that little 22 mag makes a lot less noise too compared to a centerfire cartridge.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Contenders are great guns to build on. Majority of mind are pistols setups from over a 30 collection. Still fun to shoot.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Some places only allow rimfires for varmint hunting when it isn't modern gun deer season. A 22 mag is a better option than a 22 lr.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.