Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wishing to Best of LUCK to All our Savage Hunters this season! Happy Hunting!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi and Good Luck to all who replied to my post. I have made my decision. 1955 99F in 300 Savage and my 1938 99K also in 300 Savage. I do have one long range opportunity from my blind
so I am also taking my Savage 110WLE in 250-3000 with a quality 3X9 Scope. I have taken two big bucks on this heavily used game trail, but you got to be at the top of your game because you
only have a second or two to get the rifle and find the deer in the scope. I glass all day long with some very good 8X42 Bino's that give me the heads up to get ready and grab the rifle.
I leave Monday, I am just as excited as my 5 year old grandson the day before Christmas.

Good Luck and Stay Safe!

300 Savage

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Alright you Michigan boys...you got one more sleepless night to go and then shots at big bucks. How about a big ole Swamp Donkey on opening morning. powdr

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good luck tomorrow, guys. Be safe and shoot straight!

Brian

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hunted with my 250 BB today lots of rain, i hunted out of a tent blind, have a bad cold to begin with! no deer sighted tho! I took some of the members on here advice and got some Renaissance Wax, put a couple of coats on the BB, I dig this stuff, water just beaded up and ran off! my other guns are going to get Waxed also!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Glad to see yer results. Bought some, but haven't tried it yet. Good luck getting rid of the cold and hope you start
seeing some deers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Wax your nose and chest, John. It'll help with the cold. Stay healthy my friend, there hasn't been a deer yet that is worth a bout of pneumonia.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Opening morning was sitting in a T-P style pop-up blind. To make a short story long, got soaked on my north and south side cause of the nature of the blind. Seen nothing worth letting the air out of. For the evening hunt, went to a rectangular blind with straight sides, stayed dry. At 4:45 in the evening, had 4 walk through my area, picked the biggest one, and the 99T did the rest. Had copious amounts of Jargermister to celebrate the occasion. The 165 grain Nozler Partition did a stellar job putting a quick demise to the critter in the cross hairs. Only had to track 40 yards. Dragging in was a biotch for a 58 year old fart. had to stop every 25 feet to regroup. Getting old is nothing to brag about, and as a matter of fact, it sucks.If that didn't give me a heart attack, I guess I'm not doing too bad. smile

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my buddy a buck this evening in Wolverine, MI. His first deer and I was acting as guide. My loaner gun for him wasn’t one of my 99s. He used a 1962 Rem 700 Carbine in 30-06.

I seen some deer but nothing to let my 1895 in 30-30 bark at.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

L
L
Rainy day one with nothing. Beautiful day today with nothing this morning and a doe this afternoon. Only shot the camera

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
we had a bit of snow today had a large deer come by me at 1st light, but it was a doe, I have a tag but for private land, so I sat there this evening but saw none!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldotter
Originally Posted by Sportsdad60
My opinion--Don't get pissed at me.:)

Scopes for game is cheating.

Iron sights (Buckhorn or Peep) is hunting/getting close enough for a good clean shot. I've never hunted game with a scope.

Scopes---For hunting humans or bench rest shooting/competition.

(Sportsdad gets soap box kicked out from under him as a crowd rushes the podium)

Nothing wrong with your train of thought....BUT.... I love the extra 15-20 minutes in the morning and late evening that optics bring to the table. Legal shooting time in Michigan is 1/2 hour before, 1/2 hour after sunset. If cloudy overcast conditions are in the equation, add to the 15 - 20 minutes. I have taken a couple deer that without the light gathering of the optics would not have been in the freezer. I most certainly love my peep sights, and feel as comfortable out to 100 yards or so as scoped but appreciate the extended viewing time at potentially the best times to spot the bigg ens.

This is exactly the conundrum I find myself in every year. I have every confidence in my ability to hit what I am aiming at with receiver sights as long as I have enough light to get through the peep to my aging eyes. But lets face it, the best time to shoot a big buck is at first light and at last light, when you can get the job done with a quality scope and your receiver sight is useless

That all being said, I am taking my RT with Redfield 70 this Saturday for Virginia opener.

Edit: Just want to be clear on one point. I've taken countless big game animals with scopes and never considered it cheating at all. Nobody that takes any animal legally and ethically is cheating. There are only good hunters and bad hunters, Somebody that only choose to hunt with open sights isn't any better or more skilled than a hunter that choose to hunt with a scope. Nuff said on that.

Last edited by 99guy; 11/16/17.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There comes an age where a person aught to be able to objectively look backwards and figure out what he does and how it works or doesn't. Decide if he wants to keep doing what he's doing, getting the same results, or maybe try something else for different results. Sometimes it's the process, sometimes it's the results that matter most.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by oldotter
Opening morning was sitting in a T-P style pop-up blind. To make a short story long, got soaked on my north and south side cause of the nature of the blind. Seen nothing worth letting the air out of. For the evening hunt, went to a rectangular blind with straight sides, stayed dry. At 4:45 in the evening, had 4 walk through my area, picked the biggest one, and the 99T did the rest. Had copious amounts of Jargermister to celebrate the occasion. The 165 grain Nozler Partition did a stellar job putting a quick demise to the critter in the cross hairs. Only had to track 40 yards. Dragging in was a biotch for a 58 year old fart. had to stop every 25 feet to regroup. Getting old is nothing to brag about, and as a matter of fact, it sucks.If that didn't give me a heart attack, I guess I'm not doing too bad. smile

Looks like even Old Otters even get wet now and then, thought you would be splashing around in the rain.I don't have a lucky "T" yet. When you say "copious amounts", were you drinking out of a half gallon tin pail like the old days. Up in PA I think you and Gary were just getting started about the time I passed out. Wish I was 58 again, maybe I could have made it a couple more rounds.Congrats on the freezer filler.

RAS, good on you for hooking up your buddy on his first. Hope to get to a fest that you can make also, would love to hold that 30-30, 95.

LLoyd, beautiful Pics, just enough snow, hope the next pic has horns.

John, did you have the 22HP? I hear they grow bigen's up there. Keep at it, he's out there.

Continued good luck for all you guys. WV opens Monday, I'm heading for camp Saturday. Should see 99guy for dinner Sunday. I might have a couple Loose Cannon IPA's in the fridge. My hunting buddy, since high school, can't make it this year. His print shop got bought out and shut down, so he's starting a new job. Stinks to have to get a new job at 62 years old. But you gotta do, what you gotta do, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No Joe I had the 250 Barrel Band, I have to Bloody it yet! wed opener was Flat out wet, even in a tent blind still got wet! all the fellows are heading Home this morining, Im driveing south an hour to see my Brothers, ones up from FLA. hope to get back out this evening!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (280shooter, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 264mag, 42 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,151
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.