Print Thread
Hop To
S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ken G. ("BigDog" on the Nitro Express site) contacted me some years ago on N.E. site. He said he's seen one of my 4 bore rifles and was very impressed. He asked me if I could build him a 2 bore sporting rifle. At first I thought he was kidding. He was not.

I did some research and as far as I could determine, it had never been done in all history. there are 2 bore wall guns and some Whaling guns that were made 150 to 250 years ago, but as far as a true "sporting rifle" I wasn't able to find any documentation of one ever being made anywhere at any time.

That's not to say one wasn't. It's just saying I was not able to find any record of one.

So I talked to Ken and said I'd do it for him, but we'd be learning as we go because there were no patters for me to follow. So I agreed and we started the project a few months later.

Sadly Ken passes away a while back. Some of his collection is now being auctioned off my Rock Island Auction Co. Here is the link.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...ong-2-bore-back-action-percussion#detail

I am sure some of you folks remember my posting of the pictures of work in progress.
He had me name the huge rifle "King Kong" and I engraved it as such on the side plate. The barrel is 36" long and the gun weighs 22 pounds.
Collectors will probably not care, but shooters should be aware that ken was Left -Handed and so the gun is a lefty.

I called Rock Island and let them know I was the maker, but was only able to leave a recorded phone message. Maybe they will call back. If they do I'll post the details of the conversation and let you all know what's going on with the gun.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
??????????
What does Tag mean?

(I am not much of a cyber guy. Please explain)

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I think it means they are gonna come back and read it later.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It means I'm following your thread. That's one fine looking gun you built. Kudos!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
WOW!! Don't know why in hell I'd want it............but I do! crazy

Beautiful work szihn, would like to hear how the sighting in process went.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I zeroed quite a few 4 bores and to be honest, I am getting too old for it.

I didn't even try it with the 2 bore.

I made the front sight too high and let the customer know any zeroing was up to him. A high sight makes the rifle shoot low and he need to file it off and shoot it to get the point of impact where he wanted it. The owner was close to 400 pounds from what he told me. I weight 185.

On my big guns my policy is that rifles up to 8 bore come to the customer zeroed by me. Anything over an 8 bore is up to them.

One man can't zero a gun perfectly for another anyway, but on the huge ones (6s 4s and the only 2 I ever made, the one above) the point of impact from one man to another can be WAY off. Differences in body weight and build made a very large difference in point of impact with heavy recoiling guns, especially those that are not very fast. You see it with modern powerful rifles that shoot 2400 to 2800 fps and with a gun that shoots "only'" 1300 to 1600 FPS the difference is extreme. As I said, I weight 185 pounds, but I am only 5' 6" tall (short) so a tall man "bends" more then I do in recoil and that will make the ball impact higher and usually to one side.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! That will eat thru a pound of powder pretty quick.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by szihn
??????????
What does Tag mean?

(I am not much of a cyber guy. Please explain)

Frequently, it's easier to "tag" a post, than search for it in the Search function, or find after three pages of posts in front of it. You can select "View Posts" in your profile, and find the post you were interested in by the posted "tag" quite a bit faster. Works really well, when the Classified section is rolling fast.

On topic, beautiful work, but I'd let my "buddy-ies" shoot it first...

Last edited by AH64guy; 11/13/17.
S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Naaah Hawk Driver.
In fact you probably would not use a pound in that gun.
Maybe 700-1100 grains.
This is a later 2 bore being fired with a light charge (no I am not kidding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RIT5KloknI

One shot would convince you that you NEVER need to fire it again. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! After that the powder just sits on the shelf and smiles at you.

AH64guy, thanks for the explanation. I don't use my computer much, and I never really learned much about them. I don't really like computers at all, but it's become a necessity for my business so I do use it, but just enough to send and receive massages. So I don't "speak the language" very well.
Thanks so much for your kind words too.
smile

Last edited by szihn; 11/13/17.
IC B3

S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well a man from Rock Island Auction Co contacted me by e-mail last night. He may call me today on the phone. They want to know more about the rifle. So they may be modifying the page on their company web site to reflect new information.

I volunteered to help if I can. I'll answer all their questions and perhaps that will help to generate interest in the gun at auction time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Cool videos. Colin is a friend of mine.

The guys in Britain I don't know. I think the info is wrong unless the bullet fired through the English gun is a hollow one, like a shotgun slug, or maybe made with a large groove like a paradox slug. The ball of the 2 bore I made is 3500 grains, so a 2500 grain bullet seems too light.

Both these vids are of guns made after I made the one for Ken. He ordered his in 1998 I believe. I made an 8 bore and delivered it to a customer he knew at the 1998 Safari Club Convention, and the next "big gun" I made was a 4 bore that I shipped out. Ken also saw the 4. He liked both of the guns he saw and that was the reason he called me and asked me if I could do a 2 bore.

It's been long enough ago now that I am unsure of the dates, but it was many years ago now. I think 19, but I am not sure.

Last edited by szihn; 11/14/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too much gun for me but the videos are sure fun to watch. Beautiful rifles.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Too much for me too.
But what the heck, I build what the customer wants.
That's why he's the customer.
smile

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Beautiful work of art, Steve!

BTW, the rifle sold for $4,313.00!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
szihn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
4213? What a weird number.
I guess there is someone out there who's now happy.

I expect he'll stay that way (unless he fires it..........and learns what the word "Kick" really means )

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Begs to the question "What would one shoot with that?"

Answer = "Any damn thing he wants to."

If one reads the early colonization literature, lots of folks ran around with 4-bores in Africa. Probably where the need for a gun bearer arose. With dangerous game and need for a spare, that's a little much for a person to pack on an all day jaunt.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

473 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.