Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ole_270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just got home and starting the process of recuperating. Our group of 7 included my 5th grader Grandson and his buddy. We hunted Saturday from just light enough to see what color the birds were to near dark in a light drizzle. Cover was short and so were the birds. We hunted only Walk in areas, no private. There were enough hunters in the area that we were essentially trading fields. As you were loading up, leaving a field someone else was starting in on it. We ended the day with 9 roosters and 4 quail and the boys did their share of dropping birds. We won't talk about one spectacular miss from Grandpa. Yeah, off a point.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cheesy and I stayed over to hunt a few hours this morning. The drizzle had stopped, but the cover was still pretty wet to wade through. Had a good time working his 7 month old German Shorthair pup, I think the light has turned on for this BOLD going pup. He held a point on a good covey of quail and a few singles. Pointed a rooster in some thin cover but the rooster didn't cooperate. We ended up with 2 roosters and a couple quail. Grandpa went 2 for 2 on the roosters, maybe it was because the dogs were on the other side and there were no points on either one.
[Linked Image]
16 ga. Dickinson SxS and late 40's Ithaca M37

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We are hunting the dodge city area, north and south. A fair amount of birds have taken in the Area according the different groups we talked to. We are just doing it the old fashion way.... walking a lot and beating the brush. Two roosters and two quail.

Ole_270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We went through a game check station on the way home and the warden said they weren't seeing any big bags. Said we did better than most. My Brother-in-Law went with a big group by Russel and 19 hunters got 3 birds. In a day and a half he never got a shot hunting private ground. One of the guys farms several thousand acres.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nicely done! I'm getting to think I like bird hunting with my dog almost as much as big game.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great pics. Well done.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Nicely done! I'm getting to think I like bird hunting with my dog almost as much as big game.

I have the choice of hunting Missouri opening day of deer season, or Kansas opening day of pheasant season. Guess which one I pick?

Here's Milo's first ever point (should have been an honor, but we will let it slide and blame the trainer....)
[Linked Image]

Retrieve on a quail
[Linked Image]

Milo and Katy pulling double duty
[Linked Image]

Dreary day, ole_270 walking in on nothing....covey of quail got up just a bit further
[Linked Image]

Milo on a retrieve
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoyed all the photos. THANKS for posting.

Some good dog work. cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I have the choice of hunting Missouri opening day of deer season, or Kansas opening day of pheasant season. Guess which one I pick?

Here's Milo's first ever point (should have been an honor, but we will let it slide and blame the trainer....)
[Linked Image]

Retrieve on a quail
[Linked Image]

Milo and Katy pulling double duty
[Linked Image]

Dreary day, ole_270 walking in on nothing....covey of quail got up just a bit further
[Linked Image]

Milo on a retrieve
[Linked Image]
Good choice and good pics! Hank got in some good work this weekend, but I missed getting any pics of points. Birds where hard enough to come by I kept the shotgun in hand and not the camera when he pointed. Wish I would have gotten a few...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

pointer, started thinking the same thing back in 2012. Haven't gone deer or elk hunting since. Been chasing birds out West.
Those damn chukar flat wear my ass out. Sure is fun tho. A lot easier totin' a vest full of birds than dragging a deer back to the truck.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nicely done.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Fun, fun, fun!

It appears that pheasant populations are down in many areas of the Midwest this year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rifletom

pointer, started thinking the same thing back in 2012. Haven't gone deer or elk hunting since. Been chasing birds out West.
Those damn chukar flat wear my ass out. Sure is fun tho. A lot easier totin' a vest full of birds than dragging a deer back to the truck.
Lot of truth in that last sentence!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,431
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.