Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
at a river put in, or take out, or in between, when someone has a life jacket or a paddle.

Other than that, not in a long time

Sycamore

Yep. Or on a dirt road out hunting when some one with a rifle is obviously walking back to a rig. They usually aren't hitching, but I offer a ride nonetheless.

Last edited by Steve; 11/12/17.

Carpe' Scrotum
BP-B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
From International Falls Mn. to Sarasota Florida.Got robbed in Griffin Georgia..Sawed of twenty gauge gets your attention.Anybody know Tommy Lee Allen license number BUA986.Slight delay and made it to Orlando Fl.Got a room at the Holiday Inn in ,opened the door and heard,One more step and you are a dead man.The room was already rented and he was not happy.They gave me a new room.Met some real nice people.Dabble.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Not since1968. No way would I do it today.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's easy to hitch rides if you wear a hat, and carry a gear bag and bronc saddle......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
People in distress, broke down, trying to walk out in a snowstorm, always. Others, never.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My daughter was a Professors Assistant for a year for the now retired lead Detective in the I-5 Strangler Case. Detective Bertocchini took her along once when he went back to interview Roger Kibbie as they are still finding bodies 30+ years after his killings.

It’s the main reason her major in college now is criminal psychology.

So far he has admitted to and has been convicted of raping and killing 7 woman during the late 70’s and 80’s. The most recent body was found in 2011. Almost 20 years after he was convicted.

According to my daughter Bertocchini believes that there are many more victims that are still missing persons from that time frame. He maintains a relationship with Kibbie, visits and corresponds with him as he has no relatives that contact him. All in the hopes that he’ll lead them to more bodies.

Last edited by FatCity67; 11/12/17.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Sycamore
at a river put in, or take out, or in between, when someone has a life jacket or a paddle.

Other than that, not in a long time

Sycamore

Yep. Or on a dirt road out hunting when some one with a rifle is obviously walking back to a rig. They usually aren't hitching, but I offer a ride nonetheless.

Like Steve, only way I have ever picked one up or been picked up is in the mountains, with a gun and a long walk.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was 19, I picked up a rodeo rider in northern, MI. His Jeep broke down. You should have seen the look on the local's faces when we got lost in Detroit. Their faces would go from shock and awe, to indignant, to head on a swivel and looking for hidden TV cameras. Two white guys, a cowboy and a hippy looking college kid, in a two door hatchback asking for directions back to the highway in bombed out Detroit. It was a sight to see.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've done both. This year I picked up a guy walking a gravel road along the W Rosebud, turns out he was doing a weed survey. I also picked up a family this summer that was touring on bicycle. It was during fire season and they were riding from WA to the Continental Divide Trail, where they were going to ride S to NM or some such thing. They were Australian and were about to set out on a section of road that would be primarily freeway. I was de-mobbing from a site with equipment and tied their bikes to a skid steer on a trailer and loaded them up. They were very grateful to get past this bad section (St Regis to Missoula). The youngest was an 11 yr old daughter, setting out to ride something like 2,000 mi of mostly dirt trail! I've picked up many others, and passed up far more.

I've hitch hiked in the US, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras as I recall. Never had an overly exciting experience. I've passed on rides and riders, though. These days I only pick up someone in obvious need or with an obvious reason (broken car, shuttle needed, etc). I would never have my wife or a daughter pick up a hitch hiker--their safety weighed against their exposure is too great to risk for another's need.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by stxhunter
one of my buddy's has hitched all over the country. once gave him 5 bucks and left him north of Alice on 281, called me 3 days later from San Fransisco.

And by the time he hit Frisco he’d turned that $5 into $500,000....😉

no but he could write a book about his life, i couldn't of survived it. you could call him a modern day hobo. i'm amazed he's lived this long. he's my friend and can always get a meal and shower in my home.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never hitchhiked. Only picked up local people that I knew. Just too dangerous these days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a cadet I hitched a number of rides to a girls school close by. Usually there two of us and never had a problem.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Not in a few decades.

Hitchhikers would do well to remember the Texas Slave Ranch case where hitchhikers were picked up, put into slavery and tortured and killed.

That ranch was directly upstream from a State fish hatchery and the state bought it after all this went down. I was working for a Professor at A&M and was sent there to do a bird/habitat inventory. As I recall they would find their victims at a nearby rest area on I 10 and make them chop cedar. When I went there you could see the metal shed with the tape crosses on the window that served as the "church" and on the shore of the nearby water tank there was still bars of soap and wash rags where they made them bathe.

Piles of cut cedar all over and creepiest of all, a couple of grave-size sunken rectangles in the dirt out on the property. I'm pretty sure the Cops would have located and removed any actual bodies by that time though.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hitched 300 miles to college a couple of times in the 70's without serious incident or blow jobs.

In the early 80's I was driving in my pickup to Upstate New York from Texas one February when, getting back on the Interstate at first light somewhere in Arkansas I passed a neatly dressed gentleman in his 60's standing by the on ramp carrying a suitcase. Didn't have time to react, but I thought about it and got off at the next exit a few miles down the road and came back around. He was still there.

He was coming from California, had no children. His wife had recently died after a long illness, the costs of her treatment having left him bankrupt and without a home. He was headed for his elderly mom's house in Philadelphia . We ended up having the best friggin' day, detoured out of my way and we took the scenic route, I was able to bring some light into the life of a heartbroken man enduring tragedy. He was good company and I remember how much he enjoyed the meals we ate, I picked up the tab of course.

I detoured out of my way and finally dropped him that night at a truck stop outside of Philly. I dunno at this distance why I didn't drive him all the way to his mom's house, I guess it didn't seem appropriate at the time. I recall he was a quiet, good natured man wearing a charm depicting a pair of praying hands on a chain around his neck. I think I recall him saying that his wife had given it to him.

With any luck he was really an angel in case I need to cash in that chip on Judgement Day wink

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Do not do it here, and do not pick anyone up either.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used to hitch hike on and off when I was between 17 and 21 in the late 70's and early 80's when I was in between cars or they were broken down or wrecked. I would always try to pick people up when I was driving because I knew what a pain in the ass it was.

I'll never pick up anyone now. Too dangerous.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 11/13/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Birdy/Barry,

What that site downriver for the fish hatchery at Staples Tx? Further Downriver from San Marcos?

That's not the site now used as the TSU "death farm" is it? Where they study forensic stuff like human remains decomposition?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had a roommate in college that hitched across the country several times. He even crossed the border and went into Mexico. This ol boy had a pile of stories as a result of his adventures. He reported almost freezing to death on two different occasions. He was a free spirited guy, to say the least.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Birdy/Barry,

What that site downriver for the fish hatchery at Staples Tx? Further Downriver from San Marcos?

That's not the site now used as the TSU "death farm" is it? Where they study forensic stuff like human remains decomposition?

The place I refer to was a small ranch in Mountain Home, TX. Remote area in West Kerr County.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Did it a few times as a teenager and the last time I remember was election day November 3, 1972, I was away at my first year at college and hitched hiked home to vote for in my first Presidential election.

I planned to hitch hike back to school but my mom was PO that I did it in the first place and drove me back.

Ted
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
196 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 27 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.