Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
.. The names of Christians are written in the Book of Life. .…

Many like to think they are and will be listed in that book....however,

Exodus 32:33
" And the Lord said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book"

So ones only hope is Gods grace, for all humans are born into sin and can never
make themselves worthy of God.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If Gus, or anyone wants to see a miracle, all they need to do is look around.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by K22
what was the problem with sons of God doing what God did with Mary?
What do you mean? I assume Joseph and Mary had normal marital relations after the birth of Jesus.

I believe Roman Catholic Tradition claims that Mary remained chaste all her life and that what we suppose were the half brothers and sisters of Jesus were actually Joseph’s children from a former marriage. At least that’s what I’ve read.

Yes, that is Catholic Tradition. It would seem highly odd if it were the actual case, though. The Bible doesn't say that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rock chuck said that “ Christianity rests on the infallibility of the Bible”.

That’s simply not so.

Christianity rests on an individual human establishing and maintaining a relationship with Jesus, the Creator of all that is.If a man limits that relationship to what he can read in one of the various translations of the Bible,I reckon that’s his business. It’s a pretty small view filled with contradictions.

The vicarious death for our sins is the most horrendous example of “short selling” in history.

If a man wants to define the meaning of Jesus life by that one segment, he is not just looking thru a dark glass, he is refusing to let his Creator open his spiritual eyes to a much larger picture.

At minimum, Jesus, in His Personhood, provided a way for ALL of creation to be reconciled with the Creator.
Of course Jesus is what Christianity rests on but the Bible is the word of God. If it's wrong in even one place, then God's word is wrong. How could we rely on a faulty God?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by K22
What do you mean? I assume Joseph and Mary had normal marital relations after the birth of Jesus.

I believe Roman Catholic Tradition claims that Mary remained chaste all her life and that what we suppose were the half brothers and sisters of Jesus were actually Joseph’s children from a former marriage. At least that’s what I’ve read.

Yes, that is Catholic Tradition. It would seem highly odd if it were the actual case, though. The Bible doesn't say that.

Yes, that's pretty stupid Catholic tradition since the Bible does mention Jesus's siblings. Mary either had more immaculate conceptions or she had sex.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Yes, that's pretty stupid Catholic tradition since the Bible does mention Jesus's siblings. Mary either had more immaculate conceptions or she had sex.

I'm with you on this, but the Catholic position isn't completely without reasonable argument, i.e., they claim that the original word used was a word that can either mean cousin or sibling. Chinese, likewise, only has one word that covers both relations. Chinese people will often introduce a cousin as a brother or sister, because their language only has the one word for it, and they often carry that over to when they're speaking English, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by K22

The immaculate conception wasn't Jesus' birth. It was the unBiblical idea that Mary was born without sin. There's nothing whatever in the Bible to support that. It's part of the Catholic theology that Mary is a co-redeemer with Christ which is equally unBiblical.

The Bible flat out states that Joseph kept Mary as a virgin until Jesus was born and then had sex with her afterwards.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I always thought the story of immaculate conception was quite clear. One only has to read it with the understanding that God is creator of all things and can do anything.

Late to the party as usual, and haven't yet read the rest of the thread, but this is really all that needs to be said. You either believe it or you don't. No need to overthink things. "For with God nothing shall be impossible."

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The immaculate conception wasn't Jesus' birth. It was the unBiblical idea that Mary was born without sin. There's nothing whatever in the Bible to support that. It's part of the Catholic theology that Mary is a co-redeemer with Christ which is equally unBiblical.

Yep, I missed that. The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is indeed a reference to Mary being conceived and born without the stain of original sin on her soul, and does not refer to the virgin birth of Jesus. It's an early tradition, not corroborated in the Bible, that the Catholic Church eventually adopted as a doctrine of faith.

Naturally, the Catholics do offer evidence from the Bible supporting their position, however. They also argue that it was not the New Testament Scriptures that God gave authority to teach believers, but rather God gave teaching authority to the Church, and the Church then wrote the New Testament Scriptures to advance that mission, but that the Church also retains authority to teach other truths not found therein.

It's a hard argument to deny, since for several decades there wasn't a New Testament set of scriptures at all, and even after there were New Testament Scriptures, Christians didn't agree as to what that set actually was till centuries later, when the Church used its teaching authority to decide the question. So, in the meantime, during that early period, the teaching authority on questions Christian was with the Church alone, or else there was no teaching authority during that early period.

Valid arguments on each side of this question, but I tend to believe that Mary wasn't without original sin, since it's not in the Bible (in fact, the Bible says nobody is without original sin but Christ), and it was only centuries later that the Catholic Church made this an actual doctrine, rather than simply what some Catholics believed.

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
The sons of God were only people who believed God? They weren't Angels ie the Watchers? And the daughters of men were not God's children? I certainly wouldn't think that if they were not God's children that God would even give a damn what they did, but, it appears God was quite upset over the whole charade. And especially with the offspring, which brings it back to the question: what was the problem with sons of God doing what God did with Mary?

Looks like what I was alluding to cannot be seen. Lots of Church and Religious Theology cloaking used to cover up the intent and the truth of what transpired back in Genesis then in Gospels. Ezekiel 12:2 and Revelation 3:17 seem to apply now days.
Staying out of the debates or arguments concerning the "Traditions of Men" is my preference.

I bow out of this discussion.

Last edited by K22; 11/13/17.
IC B3

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon

there are two ways to live:
you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
you can live as if everything is a miracle
albert einstein

we've pretty much cleared things up on this thread and come to terms with the fact and/or understanding that god will save whomever he chooses.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by wabigoon

there are two ways to live:
you can live as if nothing is a miracle;
you can live as if everything is a miracle
albert einstein

we've pretty much cleared things up on this thread and come to terms with the fact and/or understanding that god will save whomever he chooses.

Not at all. I think that's Calvinist doctrine,to which I do not subscribe. Scripture clearly states that God wills that all be saved.

I think the only thing you could say for sure is that you could put 100 Christians in a room and read the Bible to them and only about 70 would agree about what it said.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=Gus}
[/quote]

I must differ: God will save who ever chooses him. God is not willing that any should die, but that all should come to repentance (perhaps not an exact quote, but accurate in meaning.)

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, that's pretty stupid Catholic tradition since the Bible does mention Jesus's siblings. Mary either had more immaculate conceptions or she had sex.The immaculate conception wasn't Jesus' birth. It was the unBiblical idea that Mary was born without sin. There's nothing whatever in the Bible to support that. It's part of the Catholic theology that Mary is a co-redeemer with Christ which is equally unBiblical.

The Bible flat out states that Joseph kept Mary as a virgin until Jesus was born and then had sex with her afterwards.

Nope. Wrong. Catholic theology is that Christ is the sole redeemer. Mary is is a person in the story. An admirable person but one of us none the less.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

I must differ: God will save who ever chooses him. God is not willing that any should die, but that all should come to repentance (perhaps not an exact quote, but accurate in meaning.)

Agreed, but he also knows from the dawn of time who will and will not choose salvation. Seems contradictory, but it's not actually. Closest comparison is that I can see from a distance a child running between two parked cars into the road after a bouncing ball where there's an oncoming car that will arrive just as he runs into the street (not quite prescience, but close), but at the same time the child is still operating with free will. So prescience (being able to see what's going to happen) doesn't negate free will.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Nope. Wrong. Catholic theology is that Christ is the sole redeemer. Mary is is a person in the story. An admirable person but one of us none the less.

The Catholic Church specifically permits the belief that Mary is co-redeemer, but doesn't bind Catholics to believe it. It's considered a pious opinion. I can understand Protestant objection, however, even to holding officially that such an opinion is permissible. Co-Redemptrix is also an official title the Catholic Church approves for Mary for devotional purposes, which also scandalizes non-Catholic Christians.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Mary’s role as Co-Redeemer and Mediatrix of grace is not a formally defined dogma of the Catholic Church. It remains a pious opinion." - Catholic Answers

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So how many Catholics have been condemned to hell because they followed a 'pious opinion' and relied on Mary to redeem them instead of Christ? It's an extremely dangerous opinion when your salvation depends on knowing the truth. We might not see it much in the US but there are numerous places in the world where Mary is worshiped instead of Christ.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Agreed, but he also knows from the dawn of time who will and will not choose salvation. Seems contradictory, but it's not actually. Closest comparison is that I can see from a distance a child running between two parked cars into the road after a bouncing ball where there's an oncoming car that will arrive just as he runs into the street (not quite prescience, but close), but at the same time the child is still operating with free will. So prescience (being able to see what's going to happen) doesn't negate free will.

Yep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock chuck said that “ Christianity rests on the infallibility of the Bible”.

That’s simply not so.

Christianity rests on an individual human establishing and maintaining a relationship with Jesus, the Creator of all that is.If a man limits that relationship to what he can read in one of the various translations of the Bible,I reckon that’s his business. It’s a pretty small view filled with contradictions.

The vicarious death for our sins is the most horrendous example of “short selling” in history.

If a man wants to define the meaning of Jesus life by that one segment, he is not just looking thru a dark glass, he is refusing to let his Creator open his spiritual eyes to a much larger picture.

At minimum, Jesus, in His Personhood, provided a way for ALL of creation to be reconciled with the Creator.
Of course Jesus is what Christianity rests on but the Bible is the word of God. If it's wrong in even one place, then God's word is wrong. How could we rely on a faulty God?

The words in the Bible were scribed by men who thought they were being guided by The Holy Spirit. Some undoubtably were.

Other men , who believed they were being led by The Holy Spirit, determined the validity of the writings. Among this second group, a man has to be willfully ignorant to deny that politics and a lust for power are what motivated many of them.

The Holy Spirit can teach from a comic book if it suits His purposes. He is not dependent on, nor restricted to, a book compiled by man. It is blasphemous to believe otherwise. And..... if you believe the Bible..... blasphemy against The Holy Spirit is the big Nono.

Christians who place the Bible ahead of the Spirit are much like Muslims and their Koran.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,428
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.