Good shooting! Does your AFSC require a lot of time in mountains w rifles? grin

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image]

Good on the elk and the cartridge but the dog makes the pic. Looks like quite a hunting partner.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had great results with my 6.5 on cow elk. I shot her 20 yards and it devastated her vitals. This was a frontal shot. The bullet went in base of neck exited last rib same side. 2 inch entry 4 inch exit. She ran 10 yards

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Brad
Love that dog of yours...

Brad, you wouldn't like him so much if you was the one that had to kick him off YOUR bed....grin

[Linked Image]

Love that picture. So where did you sleep??

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by USAFHUNTER

I was the backup shot on the elk but the original shooter didn't adjust his scope correctly and when he fired the elk stood there. So I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and pulled the trigger.

Just curious, what state and is this legal?

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pintlar

I was the backup shot on the elk but the original shooter didn't adjust his scope correctly and when he fired the elk stood there. So I put the cross hairs on his shoulder and pulled the trigger.

Why wouldn’t it be legal? Sounds like they all had tags. The first guy missed he shot and harvested his first elk. He says that in previous posts.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Pintlar

Why wouldn’t it be legal? Sounds like they all had tags. The first guy missed he shot and harvested his first elk. He says that in previous posts.

Ahh sorry I miss fired and read his post wrong. My mistake.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got my cow this year with a 140gr Accubond out of my 6.5 CM Montana. The shot was at 140 yds while she walked by the rock I was perched on broadside. The bullet clipped the lower back side of the scapula going in, took out 2.5" of onside rib and exited. She froze, trotted 30yds and piled up. The rest of the herd of ~75 didn't pick up on what had happened very quickly, it took them a while to scatter and I had to shoo a few bulls out of the way to get to where my cow went down. All in all, quite satisfied with the performance of the round.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I got my cow this year with a 140gr Accubond out of my 6.5 CM Montana. The shot was at 140 yds while she walked by the rock I was perched on broadside. The bullet clipped the lower back side of the scapula going in, took out 2.5" of onside rib and exited. She froze, trotted 30yds and piled up. The rest of the herd of ~75 didn't pick up on what had happened very quickly, it took them a while to scatter and I had to shoo a few bulls out of the way to get to where my cow went down. All in all, quite satisfied with the performance of the round.

Good job! I like to see these results. I am considering carrying mine around a bit, when my cow season re-opens here in a few days. I have killed a lot of elk, but would like to add my 6.5 to list of killers.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll be a "shoot off" here shortly between the 140Acc. and the 143 ELD-X as I finalize the load for a post Xmas cow hunt. Good to see the reports coming in.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/25/17.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seeing as I took the Creedmoor plunge today and I now live in elk country, this thread has been quite informative. Of course since I won’t get to put it to use on elk til next year, I’ve got lots of time to become familiar with it. Haven’t decided whether to run the SWFA 3-9 or the Nightforce SHV 3-10 on it yet, guessing either will work. I’ve never tried killing stuff with target type bullets (Berger,Lapua,Hornady) so it’s interesting reading others results with bullets I wouldn’t normally call adequate for large game. Keep the posts coming.......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Was elk hunting a couple weeks ago with some friends, and one used a 6.5 Creedmoor. He didn't get to unlimber it at long range, instead killing a good 6x7 bull in the timber at 40 yards, with one 140-grain Accubond through the lungs. The bull trotted a little way, then fell over dead--and believe it or not, the bullet exited.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Was elk hunting a couple weeks ago with some friends, and one used a 6.5 Creedmoor. He didn't get to unlimber it at long range, instead killing a good 6x7 bull in the timber at 40 yards, with one 140-grain Accubond through the lungs. The bull trotted a little way, then fell over dead--and believe it or not, the bullet exited.

A more common elk killing range than 400 yds, for sure..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd rather have the thrill of sneeking up as close as possible over anything else.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I'd rather have the thrill of sneeking up as close as possible over anything else.

I agree, it gets a lot more interesting fast when you are inside of 100 yds.

Don't know if this will help anybody following the thread, but here are a few pictures I took of my cow while quartering.

[Linked Image]

Entrance hole in rib cage, with front quarter removed, a few inches higher than I had intended when I pulled the trigger (there wasn't really much blood shot, but the elk died with this side down, so blood from the body cavity kind of pooled here)

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I agree, it gets a lot more interesting fast when you are inside of 100 yds.

Don't know if this will help anybody following the thread, but here are a few pictures I took of my cow while quartering.

[Linked Image]

Entrance hole in rib cage, with front quarter removed, a few inches higher than I had intended when I pulled the trigger (there wasn't really much blood shot, but the elk died with this side down, so blood from the body cavity kind of pooled here)

[Linked Image]

Exit

[Linked Image]

What was the bullet? Nice eating, right there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by sbhooper

140gr Accubond

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

140gr Accubond

I have some 140 ABs on the way. What powder(s) worked well for accuracy and velocity? Plan is to start with RL16 and 26.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been using RL16 with 127gr LRX, 140gr Accubond, and 143gr ELDx pretty much exclusively. I've put a lot of H4350 through my RPR, and tried it in the Montana, but the accuracy was about the same as RL16 (good) and velocities were lower. My load for the 140gr ABs and 143gr ELDxs is 42.5 gr, I worked up both loads separately, just seems to like that weight.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by prm

140gr Accubond

I have some 140 ABs on the way. What powder(s) worked well for accuracy and velocity? Plan is to start with RL16 and 26.

If you can get Re 26, give it a try. You will be pleased with the accuracy and velocity.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,861
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.