Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Prwlr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
14 yo girl in MO got a nice elk. She thought it was a deer.

And with one shot from her rifle Saturday, Abby Wilson, 14, killed what she thought was a very large white-tailed buck.

Missouri has no hunting season for elk, though MDC is growing a herd in southeast Missouri after reintroducing elk to their native habitat at Peck Ranch Conservation Area in 2011.

... the elk that Abby shot was more than 200 miles away from that Peck Ranch herd, in an area between Hallsville and Centralia. It took five men to load the elk into a truck, where MDC is doing a number of tests on the carcass.

...the circumstances of how the elk was shot are still being investigated, but so far there have been no enforcement actions against the young hunter.

"She saw antlers, she saw the body. She thought it was a deer and took the shot,"

Meat being donated to needy families and rack to be used for demonstration purposes.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Meat being donated to needy families and rack to be used for demonstration purposes.

If this is true it is very not nice of the game department.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shouldn't ANYONE who is hunting be required to identify the correct animal?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the adult person with this girl should get a ticket too,that`s bullcrap that this young person could not identify the correct animal. don`t give me this young girl pity thing.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I know a retired colorado game officer who had Denver raise an eyebrow to him after he made a similar statement concerning a similar shot that got printed In a local newspaper interview. Something about even "his 8 y o daughter knew the difference between an elk and a Moose!" LOL

I can honestly say (as I am sure others here can say about there grandkids too) that my 11 y o grand daughter knows the difference between an elk and a deer!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my 5 year old grandson does know the difference between a deer and a big elk .

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There are MANY people, hunters and non, that don't know the difference between the 2.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What about the ones who want you to hurry up and get that saddle off their elk?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They shot it, it's their elk... shocked smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Up here, that would equal major fines + lifetime loss of hunting privileges for her & her mentor/s !

Ignorance is no defense !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colorado regs publish pictures of elk vs moose with warnings to know the difference.

Happened again here in Colorado a few weeks ago.

Hunter in Boulder County kills moose when he mistakes it for elk
A hunter who killed a cow moose Saturday when he mistook it for an elk faces a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and will have 20 points assessed against his hunting license.

read more -
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/25/boulder-county-hunter-kills-moose/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Believe it or not, that happens an average of 25 times a year.

Astounding, isn't it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Believe it or not, that happens an average of 25 times a year.

Astounding, isn't it?

kinda bad : what if ? these mentors/ young people are bear hunting and a person with brown clothes walks by their bear bait station ? BANG ! no its wrong they need to be punished before more things happen and ruin hunting.>>> the elk that was shot in MO. was wrong mentor and youth should be punished, anyone who thinks any different is not helping hunting at all, that`s why we have hunting regulations -rules- laws and enforcement of laws.

Last edited by pete53; 11/14/17.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yeah my thought was if I had shot an elk there it might have worked out slightly differently

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
technically, isn't a deer and elk in the same family? Meaning a Elk is a deer

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by blairvt
technically, isn't a deer and elk in the same family? Meaning a Elk is a deer

Sure. I hear in Montana and Wyoming, if you have a deer tag its legal to kill an elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Elk have only been reintroduced in MO since 2011. There are probably plenty of young hunters in this state who have never seen either one in the wild. Obviously, this was an honest mistake. I think the DNR handled it ok, I think the girl should have gotten some of the meat.

Last edited by bludog; 11/17/17.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mulies and whitetails are also both deer but Idaho has a separate whitetail tag available. You can get a general deer tag for both species or the whitetail only tag which gives you a more generous season in some areas. You need to know the difference between them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
just as soon as my grand daughter turns 12 , I should take her to MO. to hunt deer and hopefully she can shoot an elk on that hunt and once she gets a elk down ,i will call the DNR have them gut it,have DNR take this elk to butcher shop,pay for butchering then deliver it my place up north. since my little granddaughter does not know the difference between a little deer and a big elk and is even younger at 12 and not 14 granddaughter should get treated even better because she thought elk was a deer. MO.DNR taught 14 old nothing ! mentor should have been fined,14 year old should have lost gun, 14 year old should do community service,both mentor and 14 year old should have lost there hunting and fishing rights for at least 2 years,no horns and no meat either. this liberal crap needs to stop !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53
the adult person with this girl should get a ticket too,that`s bullcrap that this young person could not identify the correct animal. don`t give me this young girl pity thing.

She can't identify whats she's shooting at, she has no business with a gun in her hand!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.