24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have fired factory and handloaded Partitions at the range, never in the field. AB's get used in the field quite a bit, with BTs or SSTs as stand-ins at the range.

Push come to shove, though, I'd happily use either Partitions or ABs.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great explanation Mule Dear

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MD, thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure if it was directed at me or not though. I understand the reason behind the design. I just don't care for how destructive the few I've seen have been. I've used factory Fed premiums in my .257 Bob years ago and they made a complete mess of things if a shoulder was hit. My boss back then always used 150's out of his .30-06 and had the same results. I just wondered if there was a general velocity to keep below so the soft front end wouldn't be so destructive. I hunt very thick woods and don't always have the option of waiting for a double lung shot and staying away from the shoulder.
Thanks

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brad
....I'm also not averse to hunting elk with the Ballistic Tip either. Ballistic Tips are generally much more accurate.....

I could not agree more. If a rifle won't shoot BT's accurately during load development, then it likely won't shoot anything else.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Personally ( but only trying them in two rifles) I can't get the accuracy out of an Accubond that I can out of a Partition.

I agree. I've tried them in a few rifles myself and the partitions are generally much more accurate. However, I generally start and end at about .020" off the lands with all of my loads and from what I've heard, the accubonds like a little more jump to the lands... I'll try them again one of these days, as I know they have better bc's and perform just about as good as the partition and even better at long range. I also noticed a lot of guys are worried about price: One over the other. Damn you guys need to put SPS on speed dial or at least add it to your desk top so you have easy access to it. Check out the seconds and blemished bullets they have at super low prices:

Nosler blem's

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Personally,.......I can't get the accuracy out of an Accubond that I can out of a Partition.

Personally, I can't get the accuracy out of a Partition that I can from an Accubond.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Teeder
Is there a general rule-of-thumb for velocity to keep below so the PT front half doesn't shred? I tend to like my bullets to stay together incase I have to hit game where the meat is.

There is a general rule for guys that don't want the front end of a partition to shred. The way it works is you shoot an A-Frame instead. Its pretty reliable that way.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by Teeder
Is there a general rule-of-thumb for velocity to keep below so the PT front half doesn't shred? I tend to like my bullets to stay together incase I have to hit game where the meat is.

There is a general rule for guys that don't want the front end of a partition to shred. The way it works is you shoot an A-Frame instead. Its pretty reliable that way.

You need to stay away from the Partition if that's the case. A Frame or North Fork is your huckleberry, to corroborate Model70Guy.

Last edited by Reloder28; 11/15/17.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you can never go wrong with using partitions, but I have now switched to swift a-frames and some barnes x-bullets I seem to get just a little better accuracy and these 2 bullets do as good as job on an animal as a partition. I have plenty partitions yet and still have a soft spot for that old nosler bullet.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The partition is the benchmark for performance, that's for sure. I've killed many, many big game animals with both partitions and accubonds, and I haven't noticed a difference in killing power between them at all.

Agree.

I sorta like the NPT just because, but IME, the gun decides which one it likes and I go with that.

NBT's often will out group NAB's of the same weight, etc. Because the 180 NAB and 180 NBT have the same B.C., same POI in my .300 WM, I alternate depending on what I'm hunting. My .240 Wby shoots the 100 NPT tighter than any other bullet, so it's the one for that gun, an HS Precision SPL wearing a Hunters Edge handle.

So, the rule is there is no rule. You find what the gun likes and go kill stuff.

DF

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Partitions are the best of both worlds. Front half is devastating, like a BT or VLD and the rear half gives the penetration like a Barnes/GMX. They down right kill............If you dont like the devastation and are worried about one bloodshot shoulder the Aframe, like suggested above, is great... However, i've never punched a shoulder, with any bullet (partition, AB,AFrame, core-loc, win. powerpoint, BT, VLD) and not lost meat.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Originally Posted by magnum44270
However, i've never punched a shoulder, with any bullet (partition, AB,AFrame, core-loc, win. powerpoint, BT, VLD) and not lost meat.

Even a mono, like the 80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps out of a .240 can mess up a lot of tissue. I think it depends on the bullet and the velocity.

DF

[Linked Image]

And a hog shoulder hit by a 120 E-Tip (about the same as a TTSX) out of a 26 Nosler at 3,450 fps. Speed kills and it messes up stuff, too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Personally ( but only trying them in two rifles) I can't get the accuracy out of an Accubond that I can out of a Partition.

Simply put, there is nothing in North America that I would really feel like I needed either bullet to kill. Too much time has been spent trying to answer a question that was never asked.

The entire outdoor industry is still trying to find something new to sell to the American hunter and they do it by hype, rather than innovation. I am not talking about reading articles to confirm my experience, I am talking about data taken from animals I have killed or seen killed.

The newest hottest cartridge is now the 6.5 Creedmoor, and it isn't doing anything that another cartridge hasn't already done, but people are still lining up for the newest and latest craze in shooting. Cup and core bullets have been lethal for over 100 years, bonded bullets and Partitions don't bring much to the table that the old bullets haven't been capable of for many years.

Next someone will defend the Partition for it's virtues and forget that there are plenty of people right here on the Campfire that will shoot big game with a 223 and claim how lethal it is, then defend the Partition in the next breath.

I continue to hunt and kill everything with bread and butter bullets and still don't see a need for bonded or partition bullets in North America...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It's amazing, from today's perspective, how much game has been killed over the years with CoreLokts and such at 2,500-2,600 fps...

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It's amazing, from today's perspective, how much game has been killed over the years with CoreLokts and such at 2,500-2,600 fps...

DF

I've been dinking around with several different types of bullet, but frankly don't think I like any of them any better than plain ol' Interlocks, maybe not even as well. It's hard to beat something that is inexpensive and just works.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. But then they go and discontinue 2 great interlocks ( 100 and 120 gr in 257), only to introduce 2 new 110 gr Bullets, an FTX ( now seriously, how much demand can there be for a bullet for the 25-35.?) and now a 110gr ELD-X. cry

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Accubonbs vs Partition: Accubonds have always been the easiest to find good accuracy. Not by much, but it was there. Second, Accubonds also seem to be more consistent in accuracy over the long haul. Enough to make a difference on game at the ranges I shoot? Definitely not.

Of the three Ballistic tips usually win the accuracy race for me. However, in Bob's .270W raffle rifle, so far they have came in third out of the three.

All around easiest bullet I've found to give good accuracy would be the Barnes TTSX.

I've always thought a Partition would be a hard bullet to build consistently. I would think it would be hard to get the Partition-and thus the balance point-in exactly the same place over a run of x number of bullets. Looks like they have figured out how to make it happen.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Does anybody have a preference at magnum velocities (3000fps+)if accuracy is equal? Would the accubond hold together better but loose out on penetration? I've thought the partition would make a bigger mess but could be way off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lantx
Does anybody have a preference at magnum velocities (3000fps+)if accuracy is equal? Would the accubond hold together better but loose out on penetration? I've thought the partition would make a bigger mess but could be way off.

With mag velocity from a STW. 300 338 and even 25 06 I'd choose the Partition from my experience

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Personally,.......I can't get the accuracy out of an Accubond that I can out of a Partition.

Personally, I can't get the accuracy out of a Partition that I can from an Accubond.

+1. This has been my experience as well. I find getting accuracy from Accubonds comes fairly easily. I have even better results with Gamekings.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.