Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I think they should go back to 10 or 11 games a season. Then take the top 16 teams and have a play off. It would take 4 games to reach no. 1. 16->8, then 8->4, then 4->2, then 2->1. It should be all conference champions plus a the few highest ranked teams. If you go to 32 games, it would take 5 games to reach no. 1. There may be a lot of teams out there that are better than the opinions of writers and even coaches. Troy who has a great record this year, beat LSU.

Agreed. Essentially that is the FCS playoff system and they have been doing it right for decades.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winning your conference championship (on the field of play) should be the first criteria for playing for a National Championship. Conference play is the first knockout round! Eight teams seems like a perfect fit with the six bowl games.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
poor Kentucky getting to face a pissed off Georgia team. We'll probably lose by 47 points.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
poor Kentucky getting to face a pissed off Georgia team. We'll probably lose by 47 points.

I think 47 is being somewhat generous. More like 67....lol.

The funny thing is, this Kentucky team should be sitting at 9-1, and playing for the SEC East championship. They lost in the last minute to Florida and Ole Miss. Of course, the truth of the matter is that they really aren't all that good, especially defensively.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UK should be 9-1, I agree

but its only because the SEC is down and they have had great scheduling.

Out biggest win was South Carolina which says it all about our schedule.

I'd like to beat Louisville but I think we're going to finish at 7-5

There are a few things to be optimistic about. I assume we'll have our QB back next year, Snell will be back, our kicker is automatic from 45 yards and we have a receiving corp that could step up. The SEC east won't be back to full strength next year either.

9 wins and a New Years day bowl is a reasonable expectation for next year.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by hatari
War Eagle, baby!

UGA fans will now STFU and go back to being the Prozac Nation.

Nasty loss for us for sure. Totally outplayed in every aspect it pains me to say. Most of us in the Bulldog Nation found ourselves in a state of disbelief that we were ranked that high in Kirby's second season, but we were cautiously enjoying the ride, albeit a brief ride. Most folks knew both our lines were extremely suspect and that was found to be true. Congrats to Auburn and best of luck with Bammer. You guys have a very strong and well balanced team. Hope to face you again in the conference championship.,

We are not there yet, but we are pointed in the right direction for the future. Hatari, from your comments you must be a Tech fan. If so I can see why you don't understand SEC rivalries. See you guys in Atlanta. Can't get here fast enough.

No, not a Tech fan. I'm actually a graduate of the Medical College of Georgia, as well as Auburn University. 51 weeks per year the Bulldogs are fine with me. 52 weeks per year I root against Alabama (in SEC games). That's the point of my post.

I take it Mr. GoDogs, you've been around since '57, so you should understand what I'm about to explain very well, IF you'll put your fanatical love for your school done for just a moment. Auburn vs. UGA is the Deep South's oldest football rivalry. 122 years worth, and after all those years the record between the schools is about dead even. There have always been a bunch of kids from Georgia that end up at Auburn. The school is 90 miles from Atlanta, 35 miles from Columbus and LaGrange. Many of the kids that play at both universities played with and against each other in high school.

Growing up in Georgia in the Wally Butts, Vince Dooley era, the rivalry was a friendly one. You wanted your team to beat the other, but there was no lingering animosity that spilled over beyond the 2nd Saturday in November. UGA icon Buck Belue summed it on the radio one day when he was criticized for saying something complimentary about AU. "We don't hate Auburn. Playing Auburn is like playing your cousin. You want beat them for bragging rights, but we don't hate them. Tech, we hate. Florida, we hate, but not Auburn." I found that a pretty fair assessment of the rivalry.

Sometime in the late '90s, that all changed on the Bulldog end, and not just with the AU rivalry. Meet a Bulldog fan and suddenly it was "Auburn sux! Phouc Auburn! Go Dawgs! Woof, woof, woof!" Huh? Where did all that come from?

No coincidence that was about the time Spurrier changed the UGA-UF dynamic. Georgia ruled that game in the 70s-'80s, but the Ol'Ball Coach changed that right up. UF has won something like 22 out of the last 26 right there. Ga Tech went to the ACC, and that took some of the meaning out of that game. Most years Tech is pretty mediocre, and UGA has dominated them for years. The luster is low on that interstate rivalry.

So what's with the hatred for UT? I mean AU plays the Vols, but we don't hate them. None of this Munsonesque "stepped on their face with a hobnail boot stuff". Clemson? Seems like my team has played Clemson a bunch more than your team in the past 10 years, but we don't hate Clemson. Y'all hate Clemson. I know, Georgia fans tell me all the time. You can't stand the Gamecocks. Was it Spurrier that caused that too?

I've listened to UGA fans play this manic depressive scenario for the past 20 years or more. Pre-season high ranking and you'd think it was 1980 all over again. "Woof! Woof! Woof! Y'all suck. Go Dawgs!" is the incessant cry that starts in August. Early season success intensifies this fervor to an unnatural peak that comes crashing with the first SEC lost. During the Mark Richt years, the fans would start blowing up the call in shows "Mark Richt can't win the big ones!" Doesn't matter that he was 10-2 ever every year, the fans were disgruntled. Come the 2nd SEC lost, and the conversation invariably turned to "Mark Richt is a good Christian man, but he needs to go do his ministry and we need to get somebody in here that can WIN!". BTW, Richt is 10-0 at Miami this season.

With the second SEC loss, UGA fans will start this "They broke my heart again!" stuff, and go into a collective depression. It's not anger. When Bama fans threw a brick through Bill Curry's office window, THAT was angry. No, it's a resignation that the football world has not been focused on Athens, Georgia since Jimmy Carter was president and that is eating them up from the inside. UT, AU, LSU, UF, Bama all have National Titles in the past 20 years. Mizzou joined the SEC and promptly won the East twice.

I suppose it's not fair to characterize all Dawg fans like this. Most of my long time Dawg buddies are still rational, but not all of them. The anxiety that many have over the football program is unhealthy and irrational. I thought football was crazy in the state of Alabama (and it is an alternate universe to be sure), but witnessing the UGA faithful is something else.

To be more blunt, fans of other SEC schools seem to agree on one thing about UGA fans: they have become increasingly obnoxious over the past 2 decades. They are not the hospitable hosts they once were and are loud and belligerent on the road. You don't have to like the message, but when fans from 13 other SEC schools get together and pick UGA fans out as "the ones" again and again, time to face the facts. You can't point fingers at 13 other schools and claim they all suck and you don't. That's a 13-1 ratio.

Look, LSU fans are loud and rowdy. They'll talk trash and get in your face. However, they'll invite you to their tailgate and feed you good stuff while they talk trash. After game day, it's over for another year. Auburn has a 24/7/365 rivalry with Bama. We share the state with them, and have to live with the fact that Bama struck gold with finding 2 Hall of Fame coaches over the past 60 years. They have a dozen legit national titles and another half dozen they made up. Still, it's a great program and the rivalry is the classic in state rivalry. With that, Bama fans don't hate UGA, UT, MSU, LSU or anyone else. Because of their success, all other schools want to beat Bama, but other than envy don't HATE Bama.

So there you are Mr. GoDog. Step back and take that in. I'm the just the messenger. I have ties to the state and to the program. I loved the Dooley - Erk Russell days. Didn't like Jan Kemp or the Ray Goff hire. Jim Donnan got shown the door at the right time. Richt did a good job and was their a long time. Kirby Smart is a good hire and will be successful. The perception of the fans is need of rehab. If you want to see the difference, go to College Station when UGA plays A&M. There you'll see a fan base that loves their school, and has traditions like no other I've seen. They will treat you well and are proud to share their school with you. They hate Texas and only Texas. I went there and was never accosted with "Your team SUX!" once. Never had that from Bulldogs in the old days either. Times have changed.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
. . . Troy who has a great record this year, beat LSU.

Beating LSU this year was no great feat. wink

Better ask Auburn about that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lesson in that is play for 60 minutes. Can't go to sleep up 23-3. There is a reason AU has 2 losses.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RE: Wisconisn's schedule: Wisconsin-Michigan, Alabama-Mercer, Clemson-Citadel

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
War Eagle, baby!

UGA fans will now STFU and go back to being the Prozac Nation.

Nasty loss for us for sure. Totally outplayed in every aspect it pains me to say. Most of us in the Bulldog Nation found ourselves in a state of disbelief that we were ranked that high in Kirby's second season, but we were cautiously enjoying the ride, albeit a brief ride. Most folks knew both our lines were extremely suspect and that was found to be true. Congrats to Auburn and best of luck with Bammer. You guys have a very strong and well balanced team. Hope to face you again in the conference championship.,

We are not there yet, but we are pointed in the right direction for the future. Hatari, from your comments you must be a Tech fan. If so I can see why you don't understand SEC rivalries. See you guys in Atlanta. Can't get here fast enough.

No, not a Tech fan. I'm actually a graduate of the Medical College of Georgia, as well as Auburn University. 51 weeks per year the Bulldogs are fine with me. 52 weeks per year I root against Alabama (in SEC games). That's the point of my post.

I take it Mr. GoDogs, you've been around since '57, so you should understand what I'm about to explain very well, IF you'll put your fanatical love for your school done for just a moment. Auburn vs. UGA is the Deep South's oldest football rivalry. 122 years worth, and after all those years the record between the schools is about dead even. There have always been a bunch of kids from Georgia that end up at Auburn. The school is 90 miles from Atlanta, 35 miles from Columbus and LaGrange. Many of the kids that play at both universities played with and against each other in high school.

Growing up in Georgia in the Wally Butts, Vince Dooley era, the rivalry was a friendly one. You wanted your team to beat the other, but there was no lingering animosity that spilled over beyond the 2nd Saturday in November. UGA icon Buck Belue summed it on the radio one day when he was criticized for saying something complimentary about AU. "We don't hate Auburn. Playing Auburn is like playing your cousin. You want beat them for bragging rights, but we don't hate them. Tech, we hate. Florida, we hate, but not Auburn." I found that a pretty fair assessment of the rivalry.

Sometime in the late '90s, that all changed on the Bulldog end, and not just with the AU rivalry. Meet a Bulldog fan and suddenly it was "Auburn sux! Phouc Auburn! Go Dawgs! Woof, woof, woof!" Huh? Where did all that come from?

No coincidence that was about the time Spurrier changed the UGA-UF dynamic. Georgia ruled that game in the 70s-'80s, but the Ol'Ball Coach changed that right up. UF has won something like 22 out of the last 26 right there. Ga Tech went to the ACC, and that took some of the meaning out of that game. Most years Tech is pretty mediocre, and UGA has dominated them for years. The luster is low on that interstate rivalry.

So what's with the hatred for UT? I mean AU plays the Vols, but we don't hate them. None of this Munsonesque "stepped on their face with a hobnail boot stuff". Clemson? Seems like my team has played Clemson a bunch more than your team in the past 10 years, but we don't hate Clemson. Y'all hate Clemson. I know, Georgia fans tell me all the time. You can't stand the Gamecocks. Was it Spurrier that caused that too?

I've listened to UGA fans play this manic depressive scenario for the past 20 years or more. Pre-season high ranking and you'd think it was 1980 all over again. "Woof! Woof! Woof! Y'all suck. Go Dawgs!" is the incessant cry that starts in August. Early season success intensifies this fervor to an unnatural peak that comes crashing with the first SEC lost. During the Mark Richt years, the fans would start blowing up the call in shows "Mark Richt can't win the big ones!" Doesn't matter that he was 10-2 ever every year, the fans were disgruntled. Come the 2nd SEC lost, and the conversation invariably turned to "Mark Richt is a good Christian man, but he needs to go do his ministry and we need to get somebody in here that can WIN!". BTW, Richt is 10-0 at Miami this season.

With the second SEC loss, UGA fans will start this "They broke my heart again!" stuff, and go into a collective depression. It's not anger. When Bama fans threw a brick through Bill Curry's office window, THAT was angry. No, it's a resignation that the football world has not been focused on Athens, Georgia since Jimmy Carter was president and that is eating them up from the inside. UT, AU, LSU, UF, Bama all have National Titles in the past 20 years. Mizzou joined the SEC and promptly won the East twice.

I suppose it's not fair to characterize all Dawg fans like this. Most of my long time Dawg buddies are still rational, but not all of them. The anxiety that many have over the football program is unhealthy and irrational. I thought football was crazy in the state of Alabama (and it is an alternate universe to be sure), but witnessing the UGA faithful is something else.

To be more blunt, fans of other SEC schools seem to agree on one thing about UGA fans: they have become increasingly obnoxious over the past 2 decades. They are not the hospitable hosts they once were and are loud and belligerent on the road. You don't have to like the message, but when fans from 13 other SEC schools get together and pick UGA fans out as "the ones" again and again, time to face the facts. You can't point fingers at 13 other schools and claim they all suck and you don't. That's a 13-1 ratio.

Look, LSU fans are loud and rowdy. They'll talk trash and get in your face. However, they'll invite you to their tailgate and feed you good stuff while they talk trash. After game day, it's over for another year. Auburn has a 24/7/365 rivalry with Bama. We share the state with them, and have to live with the fact that Bama struck gold with finding 2 Hall of Fame coaches over the past 60 years. They have a dozen legit national titles and another half dozen they made up. Still, it's a great program and the rivalry is the classic in state rivalry. With that, Bama fans don't hate UGA, UT, MSU, LSU or anyone else. Because of their success, all other schools want to beat Bama, but other than envy don't HATE Bama.

So there you are Mr. GoDog. Step back and take that in. I'm the just the messenger. I have ties to the state and to the program. I loved the Dooley - Erk Russell days. Didn't like Jan Kemp or the Ray Goff hire. Jim Donnan got shown the door at the right time. Richt did a good job and was their a long time. Kirby Smart is a good hire and will be successful. The perception of the fans is need of rehab. If you want to see the difference, go to College Station when UGA plays A&M. There you'll see a fan base that loves their school, and has traditions like no other I've seen. They will treat you well and are proud to share their school with you. They hate Texas and only Texas. I went there and was never accosted with "Your team SUX!" once. Never had that from Bulldogs in the old days either. Times have changed.

Lol. You just described every college fan base in the south. You just happen to live in the heart of Bulldog country and get a daily dose and either can't see it or won't admit it..

Prozac nation smile That is pretty damn funny. Yes they have high expectations. They've posted a 200-75 record over the last 20 years. Not many schools can match it, yet only a few conference championships and no NC to show for it. It is frustrating. When they go 9-0, are ranked No. 1, and loose to a rival, what the do you expect the reaction to be? Lol!

And as for rivals, you are obviously aware there are many, many long connected rivalries in the south. They all have an ebb and flow. A rivalry doesn't mean as much when a program is going through down years. And I've seen many a tailgate open to opposing fans in Athens and other places. I've seen gracious UGA fans from Sanford to Neyland to SunDevil stadiums. I've also seen drunk azzholes, wearing many different jerseys.

Hell, just look at the Campfire. Plenty of college ball fans here and UGA fans are NOWHERE near the most obnoxious (My vote would be Florida fans).

My Auburn buddy out here in the PNW was talking mad schit after the game. It's what fans do. Especially when they squash a rivals hopes. I expect it

Anyway, Go "Bama - Beat Auburn!!!! I hate those damn inbreds!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Anyway, Go "Bama - Beat Auburn!!!! I hate those damn inbreds!

Hrummpff! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UK should be 9-1, I agree

but its only because the SEC is down and they have had great scheduling.

Out biggest win was South Carolina which says it all about our schedule.

I'd like to beat Louisville but I think we're going to finish at 7-5

There are a few things to be optimistic about. I assume we'll have our QB back next year, Snell will be back, our kicker is automatic from 45 yards and we have a receiving corp that could step up. The SEC east won't be back to full strength next year either.

9 wins and a New Years day bowl is a reasonable expectation for next year.

I'm not a Mark Stoops fan. I think he has let numerous opportunities pass, that have cost the team. We are still not a good defensive team, and in the SEC you have to be, or you can't win. I don't think we can slip up on UL 2 times in a row, but I also don't think they are as good this year as last, and we are better. We'll see what happens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I waffle on being a Stoops fan

I think he's only beat 3 SEC teams who had a record above .500 and he's had more than his share of games UK were in but ended up giving away because of stupid decisions - either by the staff or players.

That said, I'm not one of those fans that believes UK will play for an SEC championship and I have concerns that we wouldn't replace Stoops with anyone better.

Who I am not a fan of is Mitch Barnhart. Between Gillispie and Joker Phillips, the man shouldn't have a job but because UK went to a bowl game and having his hand forced to hire Cal, many in the program think he's this super AD

If we had a more competent AD, I'd probably feel better about pulling the trigger on another FB coach.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Butch Jones is finally gone from Tennessee.

Time to go . He can’t beat top 10 programs and can’t beat Florida or Georgia. [bleep], you can’t lose to Missouri and Kentucky and keep your job. That’s just how it is.

Sounds like Saban and his gig at Michigan State.....

With one minor little exception.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I waffle on being a Stoops fan

I think he's only beat 3 SEC teams who had a record above .500 and he's had more than his share of games UK were in but ended up giving away because of stupid decisions - either by the staff or players.

That said, I'm not one of those fans that believes UK will play for an SEC championship and I have concerns that we wouldn't replace Stoops with anyone better.

Who I am not a fan of is Mitch Barnhart. Between Gillispie and Joker Phillips, the man shouldn't have a job but because UK went to a bowl game and having his hand forced to hire Cal, many in the program think he's this super AD

If we had a more competent AD, I'd probably feel better about pulling the trigger on another FB coach.

You didn't say anything that I couldn't agree with. I'd not shed a tear if UK got rid of Barnhart.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well Hatari, ol Mooner beat me to it....I can't add anything to what he said. Yeah, I was born in 57, attended UGA back in our glory days, and received a BS & Master's degree from my beloved institution of higher learning.

Honestly, all schools have "those fans" and I hate to see it as much as anybody. I was there when we played Tech and listened to "F---you Georgia" during the invocation. Yep, back in the dark ages when we could pray before a game. I was there when Clemson came to play and their fans came to town a few days early and painted the town (literally) orange...tiger paws spray painted everywhere. I've seen Carolina guys shout unprintable insults to the white girls walking by dressed in red and black.....I could go on and on. By means of informal, non scientific polls our greatest rivalries are now Florida, Tennessee and probably Auburn, in that order. Tech usually comes in fourth. I feel that order of "hatred" for those rivals stems from the Jan Kemp fallout, which affected our program for two decades by some accounts. UT, Auburn and Clemson came in and prison raped our program....cherry picking any athlete they wanted, while we were hamstrung by not being able to recruit the first prop 48 player. We can't stand UF because of Spurrier, his constant jabs at our program, etc. They feel the same way about us. UT and Auburn...I won't even go there right now...

Other than those four programs...most Dawgs find it hard to work up genuine "hatred" for our opponents. I'll just respectfully disagree with you on that.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're right that all programs have those fans.

I find your take about the Jan Kemp thing interesting. Maybe that is the turning point that I started seeing a change in attitude and the psyche of UGA faithful. I'll give that further thought. Maybe it's that generation of students that were affected, and now 25 years later they are the forty something year olds that are moaning and groaning about "they broke my heart again". I will say our peer group suffers less from such manic depressive episodes.

Looking at your list, AU, UT, UF as rivals, one could point to the fact that those are the only constants on the UGA schedule that year in year out block them from the East title. Makes sense that they'd be the big rivals. KY, Vandy, USC only rarely will put up a fight. UGA rarely plays Bama or LSU.

I'll challenge you to think about how AU and UGA fans regarded each other in our day, and compare it to now. For the bulk of AU fans, it really hasn't changed. Bama is the #1 foe 52 weeks per year, and everybody else 1 week per year. Somehow, UGA picked 4 teams to be 52 week grudge rivals. That's really my point.

I thank you for the Jan Kemp insight. I'm going to quiz my dog buddies on that point and see if they see it the way you do.

Just one more thing to say to you. If AU does not make it to the SEC Championship, I will be an obnoxious UGA fan that week. Go Dawgs! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only THAT week???

UGA fans are chronic PITA.

grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 699 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.