Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I hunt horseback exclusively and have never found an ideal way to pack a rifle for this. I have settled on offside, muzzle forward so it is fairly narrow under the stirrup. However the rifle can and eventually will come out unexpectedly.( I don't care for anything between the leather and the pony's side) I often carry the rifle in a boot made to fit across the swells and it works well for a carbine rifle but also has disadvantages. I have tried all scabbard configurations including bucket style. Nothing is ideal. My favorite option is to put it on a pack horse but it isn't always convenient. Does anybody else run into problems with this? I have been doing this all my life and am still searching. If I knew how to post pictures I would. Cheers.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I carry mine onside, butt rearward.Bolt, Muzzle loaders and lever guns. Although I have a smaller scabbard for my Rossi 92, .357,I usually carry all in the same scabbard. I carry onside, butt to the rear, slightly canted muzzle down. I don't like the scabbard hanging back where the lead rope from the pack string can get caught up in it on the off side.My scabbard has a flap on it that snaps shut and pretty well stops the rifle from coming out.I also at times use the rear saddle strings to take a wrap around the rifle butt as a secondary keeper. I fit it so the rifle is just under the crook of my knee so I don' t even feel it there.

I have pretty much carried like this for almost 50 years with no rifle ever coming out, even in rough country.

My Model 92, .357 fits the small scabbard very tightly and I have no fear of it coming out. A standard Win. 94 will not fit it.

Sorry,I have no photos of it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I still use my old leather scabbard with a top that gets buckle down works ok,the only thing I now will use is my Browning BLR 300 win.mag fits great in my old scabbard and this 300 win.mag shoots great in this BLR shoots a long ways out too !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 19 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.