Print Thread
Hop To
D
DTJager Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am turning 54 this year and although I still can get around well, I have serious enough issues with both hips and both shoulders that I will in the very near future have to have surgery on all to continue enjoying a high quality of life. There is no way I can get all these surgeries done before I can go elk hunting.

My situation is this. I have built up 19 points for a limited entry bull elk hunt in Utah. I have done multiple tests of me carrying a pack with 20-60lbs in it and bottom line is my left hip can not take it after about 1000 yards and starts to ache to the point I can only cover 50-75 more yards before I must sit and relieve the pressure on it. And once it becomes irritated, it gets progressive worse the more I walk with a pack. Tried cortisone injections and per my MD I'm at the end of non surgical solutions. On the plus side I can walk as much as needed with no pack.

Although I am no elk hunting expert I have gone on 4 100% DIY bull elk hunts (all LE units) and killed a bull every time, the biggest a beautiful 330" 6x6 so I know enough not to be considered a total novice.

I will also be totally on my own on this hunt so that complicates things even more. So I considered all the options and accepted the reality of my situation of my physical limitations, the fact the LE elk units in Utah are HUGE being 10s of thousands if not 100's of thousands of acres of very rugged topography in size and the fact this is my one and only time I will EVER be able to elk hunt in Utah I had to accept the fact I should strongly consider going guided.

So obviously I need to find as good an elk guiding outfit as I can afford and are feel recommendations based on personal first hand experiences from an outfitters past clients are as good a source of information as it gets. I know I must still do my homework but first hand recommendations would be invaluable to my search.

So I need two things from anyone reading this who wished to help me.
#1-Recommendations of outfitters you have personal 1st hand experience that you hired and hunted with
#2-What questions should I ask any outfitter I am considering hiring.
My budget is strictly dependent on the expertise of the outfitter, as I will have no problems being in excellent shape and as this will be a firearm hunt, I will be without doubt more than proficient with my firearm to any reasonable distance at or below 600 yards. I have no intentions what so ever of trying to find the best/cheapest deal out there, I am looking for the best outfitter I can afford and I know excellence doesn't come at garage sale prices. But I also have to be realistic in what I can afford.

This is a huge deal to me so I need as much solid and as resent outfitter information as passible help as I can get. I know all about which units to apply for but will also discuss this choice with my outfitter when that time comes. I would like to go in 2018 and absolutely no later than 2019.

Thanks,
DTJager/Art.

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have the same issues.Bad back,bad hips extremely bad shoulders. Putting a muzzle break on my .06 a few years ago,bought me three years.Now I am having a shoulder replacement done Dec 19.
As for carrying any packs,I could never do that. I have used horses or mules because of that. A few years ago I had to switch to smaller mules so I could lift medium weight panniers on and be able to throw a riding saddle on. That ended this past season. Now I am looking at going to all ultra weight back packing equipment,but loading that on my mules so the panniers will be lighter. As for elk meat, I'll juts cut it up in smaller pieces to load.
I know this doesn't answer all your problems,but the muzzle break might help some.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
DTJager Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the suggestions, but my shoulders aren't a limiting factor YET, my left hip is my week spot. If I take care and don't irritate it I'm OK, but once irritated it takes several days of babying and rest to get it to calm down and allow me to once again maximize my mobility, days I can not loose on any hunt. My friend suggested I buy a used quad, but that really isn't a 100% solution and even a used quad costs at least 70% or more that of a guided hunt, all be it I could resell the quad once the hunt is over.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I would bet that a quad isn't going to do you much good on a limited hunt that takes 18+ points.When you get a few outfitters narrowed down, talk to them about it.Good ones will either tell you they can not accomodate you or will have some options If it is guided hunt, you should not have to carry more than 10-15 pounds in a day pack , if that. Elk should be taken care of by outfitter.
If it is a horse pack in hunt,you might have problems with your hips riding.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/16/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
When you see your doctor, ask for Hyaluronic acid shots in lieu of cortisone. There are different types and you will get much relief, until the inevitable hip replacement surgery which has become pretty successful these days. I am near the same age but with knee issues.
Look into the Pack mule cart made in Utah. It is lightweight and takes all the weight and centers it over the wheel. No back or hip pain. Youtube has some videos. Also a different version is the Dixon roller pack out of Ca.. They are both single wheel driven, so if you hunt in wilderness, they are not permitted. If National forest or BLM it will work perfect.

Many atv stores, rent their atv's during hunting season as an option. pick up at the store nearest your hunting area and deliver afterwards and you don't have to lug them home.

Invite a couple of young healthy strong studs to be your packers. Family, friends or through a guide. Little cash and adventure is all they need.
Hire an outfitter packing service. They take you in and out with all your gear. You don't have to drag your elk to camp. Just handle it at the kill site and they will pack it from there. Some will even provide a horse or two if you want.

I provided some options for the least expensive on up.

Contact the Game department in Utah and get a list of licensed outfitters that specifically hunt your zone. Contact all of them and check references,
There are Sportsman expo hunting shows between jan. and april. Plan to attend and talk to the outfitters and get a feel for them. Make sure their photos and mounts are not all from ages ago and don't represent the current state.
The particular zone you are going after should have an assigned biologist if not more than one. Call, find out who it is and pick their brain for info. Especially recommended outfitter guides in their area. They are usually very helpful.
Also forum members that live in or near the zone can be a great source.

Best of luck to you.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
New Mexico issues a Mobility Impaired Certification permit that allows certain privileges, including hunting while using a motorized vehicle and other equipment. It is free, but requires a signed form from a doctor.

I assume that Utah may have a similar arrangement.

Also, there are likely outfitters that offer such hunts (as is the case here in NM). Others may be able to confirm this and make recommendations.

Lastly, although I know nothing of the details available there, I have seen wonderful accounts of hunting on the ranches of Rulon Jones, the former Denver Broncos player.

Norm

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Anjin

Lastly, although I know nothing of the details available there, I have seen wonderful accounts of hunting on the ranches of Rulon Jones, the former Denver Broncos player.

Norm

Keep in mind those are high fence hunts.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Take somebody from here with you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.