Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
lcw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I live land hunt in Mississippi. Over the last decade or so, Mississippi has changed primitive weapon seasons to accept modern single shot rifles chambered .35 cal and above. My current rifle is a TC pro hunter with a MGM 35 Remington barrel. I picked the 35 Remington so my kids could shoot it without much recoil. After killing a few deer with it, I'm a little disappointed with the results. Initially I was satisfied, and I know dead is dead, but I'm curious if a couple hundred feet per second more generated with a 358 Winchester might produce quicker kills. With classic behind the should shots using Remington and Hornady factory ammo, the deer are covering a good bit of ground before expiring and some have had to have a second shot. I'm about to give up on the Hornady Leverevolution ammo because the bullets pencil through with little damage. I read the 25/06 - 257 Weatherby debates all the time and I don't feel this is the same comparison because its a different level of velocity. So, my question is, at what velocity do kills become "quicker"? And for the guys that have hunting with both, does the 358 Winchester have a noticable advantage?

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you up the speed you may be working counter to your low recoil for the kids requirement.

How about shooting through the shoulders to anchor them?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
i always felt the 200 gr remington round nose soft point performed better on game than the leverereverevolution rounds in my 35 rem.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Comparing a 35 Rem to 358 Win is about the same as comparing 30-30 Win to 308 Win. Speed doesn't kill, shot placement does. They all work.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Comparing a 35 Rem to 358 Win is about the same as comparing 30-30 Win to 308 Win. Speed doesn't kill, shot placement does. They all work.

As does using the right projectile.

IC B2

L
lcw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I shot an 200lb buck in the shoulder with the leverevolution bullet at 25-30 yards. He bowed up ran about 50 yards and crashed. I immediately went after him to find he got up and ran a good ways to a tree top. I shot him again in the white spot under jaw and that did the trick. The bullet penciled through the shoulder without expanding, same with the neck shot. I had similar results this past weekend on a doe on a management area draw hunt. I have used a 35 Whelen and it will anchor a deer shot through the shoulder/shoulders. I hate to take that much of step if a 358 will do what I want. I want something that will produce a good blood trail. I've killed alot deer with alot of different cartridges, but not too many with bigger slower bullets. Compared to a 308, 30-06, etc, even a 243, the 35 remington doesn't seem to kill as fast. I'm considering having my barrel reamed to a 358 winchester, but I don't want to do it and get the same results.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used to shoot a 35 Whelen in a t/c encore. I traded for a 358 winchester mgm barrel. I can't tell the difference in killing power on deer. It does an awesome job. It just doesn't kick as much as the 35 whelen. You can trade in your 35 rem barrel on edstc.com for a 358 barrel. He gave me 200 trade in on the 35 whelen barrel and the 358 was 295 plus shipping. You may be better doing that instead of reaming the barrel you have. I shoot the 200 grain Hornady interlock factory loads in mine.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hmm, you used one bullet, the FTX, and it penciled through the animal. So, the logical thing to do is rebore (actually rechamber) the barrel? There are other 35 caliber bullets designed to expand at the more sedate speeds the 35 Rem generates. Its a lot less expensive to switch projectiles than to rechamber. Also, as someone already pointed out, you selected the cartridge due to its light recoil. Punching it out to .358 Win is going to completely undue that.

I'd suggest perhaps a 180 grain bullet at slightly more velocity. Recoil will be about the same as it is now with the Leverevolution ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It generally seems that "fast" kills are tied to tissue damage, which is a function of speed and bullet size/design. Maybe you got a hard batch of Hornady bullets?

I don't shoot my .35cal bullets much faster, as I download my single shot Whelen to .358win speeds (225 Accubond at 2,420fps). Deer and hogs do run sometimes, but I've had good results on damage to vitals and blood trails. Shots have been from 100 to 225 yards and I don't think any animal ran more than 40 yards.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmd025
i always felt the 200 gr remington round nose soft point performed better on game than the leverereverevolution rounds in my 35 rem.

+1 on the factory Rem 200's!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lcw
I live land hunt in Mississippi. Over the last decade or so, Mississippi has changed primitive weapon seasons to accept modern single shot rifles chambered .35 cal and above. My current rifle is a TC pro hunter with a MGM 35 Remington barrel. I picked the 35 Remington so my kids could shoot it without much recoil. After killing a few deer with it, I'm a little disappointed with the results. Initially I was satisfied, and I know dead is dead, but I'm curious if a couple hundred feet per second more generated with a 358 Winchester might produce quicker kills. With classic behind the should shots using Remington and Hornady factory ammo, the deer are covering a good bit of ground before expiring and some have had to have a second shot. I'm about to give up on the Hornady Leverevolution ammo because the bullets pencil through with little damage. I read the 25/06 - 257 Weatherby debates all the time and I don't feel this is the same comparison because its a different level of velocity. So, my question is, at what velocity do kills become "quicker"? And for the guys that have hunting with both, does the 358 Winchester have a noticable advantage?

I have only gotten one deer with a 35 Remington and it ran forever before going down. I was using the 35 Remington Winchester factory load. I felt the bullets were a bit hard, but I have nothing concrete to support it. For comparison, the deer I shot with my 30-30 either dropped in their tracks or went down much faster. I have never used a 358 Winchester so I don't know. I have used the Sierra 225 grain SPBT in a 35 Whelen and it is a deer stopper for sure.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
This is an interesting thread to me.
I had a marlin 336 in 35 Rem years ago. it was a half mag and 24" barrel with a pistol grip and a peep sight, and I was very fond of the rifle. I should never let myself get beat out of it, but I did.

I loaded my own ammo with 220 grain Speer bullets and I killed a few Nevada, Idaho and Montana mule deer with it, and I loaned it to a friend who killed a bear with it. The powder I used was H380. None of my kills were past about 125 yards and a few were at about 35-40 yards

I always had excellent luck with my load, and I don't think it topped 2000 FPS. I never did chronograph it, but that was my guess. I could keep them under 2" with that rifle at 100 yards over a rest.

So when I hear of a lack of effect on deer I must admit I am a bit surprised. I always thought my rifles seemed to kill better than is should have and I got exits on all but one deer. Almost all my deer dropped at the shot, and one ran about 15 yards.

But having said all that, I am not a 35 Remington expert. I only ever owned that one, and I killed 7 deer with it total. All were killed with that same load and the same bullet and all were shot through the chest but at various angles. 7 kills gives me a good idea of what that load will do, but only that load.

If I ever get a chance to get another long barreled marlin 35 Rem I will do it, but learning from the experience of others is a better way then learning from my own mistakes. So please keep the reports coming in.

As far as the 358 goes, I have made a few of them for customers and I never heard any of them say a thing bad about the shell. But most are using spritzer bullets, many of them are shooting Nosler Partitions and most of them are using the rifles on elk as well as deer. I have never kept a 358 for myself, so all I know about the terminal effects of the 358 Win are from satisfied customers, but as I said ALL are satisfied so far.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Buy a box or two of 150gr Remington's.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Before I became convinced that a bolt action scoped rifle was a must for deer hunting, I used a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, with peep sights. My hunting was in the woods, average range was probably 50 yards. 200 grain Core-Locts resulted in a dead deer, usually dropping right where they were shot. My son used it as his first deer rifle, with the same results. I cannot believe that there is a cartridge anywhere that will kill a deer any better than a 35 Remington, especially with a 200 grain soft point. It's not a long range cartridge, nor was it ever intended to be.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Too bad the .358 came along about the time that magnum cartridges were becoming the rage, it is a fine cartridge kind of a shortened .35 Whelen. I have owned several Winchester rifles chambered for the .358, a pre'64 M/70 and a couple of M/88's. let them all slip thru my fingers in my younger days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Same can be said of the 307 & 356 Winchesters. Wrong place, wrong time.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have shot more than a few deer with a 336 in 35 Rem.200 grain RN Hornadys drops them right there if you put it through the shoulders.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've shot 2 deer in the past couple of days with a 50cal ML. Both times the hearts were destroyed and the lungs, but I didn't drill the shoulders (which I typically do). Both deer ran 30-50 yards. It's what deer do.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A different bullet will have more impact than a different case in the chamber.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I know it's a different cartridge, but I find that the .30-30 Leverevolution ammo performs very well on deer sized game. I find it surprising that it doesn't in .35 Remington.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 693 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.