Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Well know one seems to want any Remington Golden Bullets so how about this?
Anyway I was up north chasing guns today and went into a Wal-Mart store on the off chance they would have something I needed in the way of rimfire ammunition.
Low and behold they had the wonderful Winchester 40 grain Power-Point hollow-points on sale for $6.90 per 100 pack!
The cheapest I have seen this wonderful ammo for sale in the last three years is $9.99 per 100!
And its hard to find this stuff at any price - usually when it is found it is $10.99 or $11.99 and often $12.99 per 100 pack!
Anyway I bought a bunch of it and my partner bought some as well.
If anyone needs some of this Winchester Power-Point ammo I suggest you check your local Wal-Mart soon - I forgot to ask the countergal how long this ammo would be on sale for so I don't know that.
Good luck if you go looking for this.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the head's up VarmintGuy!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Our local Walmart has had Winchester 40g Power Points @$6.95 per 100 for the last year now .
They are in stock in stock most of time and sell well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Must be a regional thing as I didn't see any at the local Walmart last night. They had a fair supply of bulk packs of Remington. Federal and Winchester, and also 100 rd boxes of CCI Mini-mags, but nothing else in .22 rim-fire. They did have some WW Power-Points in stock there a good while back, though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have shot WW ammo for years and always thought it was good stuff. A few years back some co-workers and I split a case of Remington ammo, before it became problem plagued. My two rimfires, a Winchester 52 Sporter and a sporterized Springfield 1922 M2 shoot their best with CCI Standard Velocity so that has been my ammo of choice for the past few years. I am pretty well stocked with a variety of different brands of RF that I bartered for during the shortage.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought two bricks of the old Power Point for hunting with the summer before Obama was elected. It started to look like he was going to be emperor-in-chief, so I went on a purchasing orgy.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
LCHunter1: You are welcome.
I use this, normally more expensive, ammo in my high end heavy barrel 22's.
Its is especially lethal on small game and Ground Squirrels - plus it has been rather accurate in virtually all my Rifles and this accuracy continues in my heavy barrel BuckMark and Ruger MK-I, MK-II, MK-III and MK-IV pistols.
Plus it discharges and functions my semi-auto actions (Rifles and pistols) virtually perfectly.
The ONLY instance of trouble I have with this Winchester Power-Point ammo is in connection with my single shot heavy barrel Remington 40X as about 1 in 10 spent casings fails to extract from that Rifles match chamber!
This could be an aside of the match chamber not being cleaned often enough or perhaps the occasional slightly oversized Winchester piece of brass?
Anyway I love the stuff use a lot of it and am happy that it is showing up on stores shelves and to find it at this price is just icing on my cake.
The nearest Wal-Mart store to me is 65+ miles from me and I only get through that store once per month - I always check it though for rimfire ammo and this is the FIRST time in the past three years I have seen this ammo there?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunswizard: Indeed there probably are more accurate types of 22 L.R. ammo out there but this Winchester 40 grain Power-Point ammo, in my experience, has the BEST combination of accuracy and lethality!
I don't do a lot of paper punching with my high end 22 rimfires as I spend most of my time and efforts Hunting with them (small game and Varmints).
So the hollow-points are mandatory for me.
Like you I am glad the the "shortage" is over.
I still have some C.C.I. Green Tag ammo that I bring out on occasion to "test" a particular Rifles accuracy.
I just LOVE rimfires!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be curious to see how this PP ammo works out for you guys. I tried some of the new PP ammo, which is now made in Illinois, and it really wasn't anything special and downright disappointing in a few of my rifles- including my 52B and 40X, which used to love this stuff.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sheister
I will be curious to see how this PP ammo works out for you guys. I tried some of the new PP ammo, which is now made in Illinois, and it really wasn't anything special and downright disappointing in a few of my rifles- including my 52B and 40X, which used to love this stuff.

Bob

Actually , I think Winchester moved all rimfire production to Mississippi a few years ago.

And yeah, the new stuff seems t shoot just "OK" for me too, but I am not through testing it in my rifles. I have some from two lots now and going to run it through a few more of my guns. So far, it shoots about 1.5 to 2 MOA.

FWIW, I never got great accuracy from the old Power Points , either. Good accuracy ,but not great.

It never shot as well as medium priced target stuff like Wolf , SK standard or even the old Winchester Dynapoints of the same era for that matter.

Last edited by jk16; 11/17/17.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The old PP was an excellent killer. I shot 1000s of Richardson's with them and you could tell the difference between their killing power and CCI/WW/Rem hollow points. In fact, you could HEAR the difference.

A few years ago I had to switch and chose Rem HPs. They are very close in accuracy to the PP, but don't kill as well. Now, I've got some new PPs but haven't put them on paper.

I've never seen a PP @ a WalMart but I'll look harder now.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 11/17/17.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
LarryfromBend: Yes indeed the resulting "WHOP" of a Winchester 40 grain Power-Point on a center mass hit Ground Squirrel is distinct and impressive!
North and west of me a minimum of 150 miles lives a distinctly different (and 25% larger!) species of Ground Squirrel - I don't get to Hunt them as often as I would like to.
Anyway when these larger and heavier Varmints are hit with the Power-Points the sound is even more impressive!
I have heard the reports from some that the current production Power-Points are not as accurate as the "older" Power-Points - I don't know?
I do know the current production Power-Points do not disappoint me in the several guns (pistols and Rifles) I use them in, accuracy wise.
I am not sure how far one would have to go back to find the "more accurate" version of these Power-Points and maybe one third of my current crop of Power-Point shooters have been in my arsenal for 10 years and more.
So it would be hard to quantify from me, this contention.
Again I am happy that Wal-Mart is offering these favored bullets (by me!) at such a bargain price!
Maybe I will keep an eye out for one (or a couple?) of the older gray cardboard boxed Winchester Power-Points and if I find some I will wait for a dead calm day and take my heavy barreled Remington 40X out and test the two different era Power-Points side by side.
My rimfire 40X has a top of the line Nikon 5.5x16.5 power variable scope on it - I could also put my extra 36 power "testing scope" on it for the possible upcoming test.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Browning HP is the same ammo.

It's accurate and deadly.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Dave, that is great to know.. Seldom see power points here.. I bought a thousand rounds years ago and still have 500.. Bought some Brownings last summer, but did not shoot them.. Will pickup some more for this summer's gopher wars...

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I burned through a case last season. You won't be disappointed.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks, I will have to stock up when I get the chance!!!!

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
DeFlave: How are the Browning bullets priced compared to the Winchester Power-Points?
On occasion I see the Brownings for sale but have not shot any nor can I remember the price.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
DeFlave: How are the Browning bullets priced compared to the Winchester Power-Points?
On occasion I see the Brownings for sale but have not shot any nor can I remember the price.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Most places I have seen them sold the Brownings seem to be prices at least $1.00 per hundred more than Winchester , which makes sense as they are loaded by Winchester and since there is one more entity in the distrubution chain (Browning)- they must also get their cut.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I usually find them for $9.99 and a bit cheaper if they're on sale.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by Sheister

Bob

Actually , I think Winchester moved all rimfire production to Mississippi a few years ago.

And yeah, the new stuff seems t shoot just "OK" for me too, but I am not through testing it in my rifles. I have some from two lots now and going to run it through a few more of my guns. So far, it shoots about 1.5 to 2 MOA.

FWIW, I never got great accuracy from the old Power Points , either. Good accuracy ,but not great.

It never shot as well as medium priced target stuff like Wolf , SK standard or even the old Winchester Dynapoints of the same era for that matter.

You may be right on the location. I read in a magazine article it had been moved to Illinois and the boxes are marked Illinois, but that could just be packaging? In any case, it would be interesting to get a larger sample of shooters to see how this new PP ammo is. I will probably buy some more of it next time it comes on sale as it is still better than most of the stuff at this price point and the terminal effects are impressive as Varmint Guy alludes to. You have to experience it to appreciate it. I've found some of the bullets after the fact on the ground and they are expanded just like a big game bullet, sometimes almost completely flat. Those hollow points just flat out work...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Had to go back to Walmart yesterday to pick up some things we had forgot the day before. They had some 40 grain HP Win. PP in stock this time.priced at $7.47 - 100 round plastic slider box..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by joken2

Had to go back to Walmart yesterday to pick up some things we had forgot the day before. They had some 40 grain HP Win. PP in stock this time.priced at $7.47 - 100 round plastic slider box..

Man ,that's just weird.. I went by our local store three days ago and bought a box for $6.92.. Why would the price vary that much from store to store?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A few years ago I was buying Winchester 223 White Box ammo for a friend who liked it so much that he didn't bother reloading. I was traveling through a couple of states on a semi-regular basis and every time I was near a Wal-Mart I would stop in and pick up some for him.
I noticed a disparity of two to three dollars per box depending on the location of the store, I questioned a manager about it and was told that each store can sets its own price on items since the managers have a better idea of what the market will bear locally. I suspect that the Corporate office has some guidelines on this but it does make a lot of sense.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Jk16: What part of the country did you find that ammo for $6.92 at?
I will be in a position to make a larger purchase of this ammo as soon as Big Game season is over here-abouts in a week or so.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by drover
A few years ago I was buying Winchester 223 White Box ammo for a friend who liked it so much that he didn't bother reloading. I was traveling through a couple of states on a semi-regular basis and every time I was near a Wal-Mart I would stop in and pick up some for him.
I noticed a disparity of two to three dollars per box depending on the location of the store, I questioned a manager about it and was told that each store can sets its own price on items since the managers have a better idea of what the market will bear locally. I suspect that the Corporate office has some guidelines on this but it does make a lot of sense.

drover

Several years back I priced some electronics stuff at two different Walmart stores around 35 +/- miles apart. The difference in price of identical items at one location was enough for me to ask a department manager why and was told the same thing,

For around a couple of years or longer now one of the above mentioned Walmart stores has been pricing their store brand milk at anywhere from as low as .89 cents to a high of $1.48 a gallon. The reason being a discount grocery chain opened a new store in the same town and from day one has kept their milk prices super cheap and most likely at a loss in order to draw customers.

The same store brand milk at the other Walmart mentioned above has been and still is 'everyday' priced at two to three times more.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oklahoma Panhandle
Jk16: What part of the country did you find that ammo for $6.92 at?
I will be in a position to make a larger purchase of this ammo as soon as Big Game season is over here-abouts in a week or so.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Very far from you..Oklahoma Panhandle..
smile

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Jk16: Thats what I was wondering about - I was hoping this availability and price was/is widespread.
Thanks for the comeback.
The local Wal-Mart is so far from me (65 miles each way!) I am going to do something I have never done before and CALL the Wal-Mart ask for the sporting goods department and inquire about the supply of W-W Power-Points before I drive all the way up there.
I wonder if they will give out that information on the phone?
Thanks again for the come back.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.