Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Honestly, this is a friend's experience, so my ability to answer to further details may not be complete:

.30-378 Weatherby. Handloads of IMR7828 powder and Federal Magnum primers. (unk bullet, but can supply that later if it matters).

These loaded about 15 years ago, stored cool and dry.

More than one of these loads failed to ignite, and when that happened, bullet lodged in throat. (Happily all came to screeching halt, bullet was extracted.)

Here's something I don't know about, but perhaps it is common: Powder in the case had been transformed to cured concrete. (The friend insists that after the first misfire, he rattled each cartridge before firing, and they all exhibited sounds of a normal charge of powder, then after misfire the "concrete" consistency was observed)

I suspect contaminated or moisture-affected powder, but all storage was as it should be. I'm also skeptical about the concrete phenomenon occurring AFTER the primer ignited. But, my friend has been loading and shooting longer than I have (50 years).

Anybody seen this before? Speculation has been done already by three of us, so no more of that needed. Need someone with firsthand observation of this and probable cause. Again, I may NOT have the "whole story" here.

Thanks.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I would suspect the powder either got moist before loading or during storage. I have stored ammo for long periods with no ill effects as long as it is dry and temperatures change too much too fast. Killed an elk this year with shells loaded in 2000.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My FIL is still shooting 8mm/06 loads his father loaded back in the 60’s

They all still go boom.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Primers were not sealed or batch of bad primers would be my guess.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I bet that was a bit disconcerting laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Okay, so maybe this isn't common or seen (much) before. I know from personal experience not to have any concerns firing ammo loaded many, many years ago as long as it has been stored correctly. I also have experience with old primers doing all sorts of weird stuff.

Leaning toward powder contamination in this instance.

Still would like to hear from someone with firsthand knowledge of this "concrete" phenomena (even from a round dismantled rather than "fired").

The Mystery Train rolls on....

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Have you pulled a bullet to see if all the powder is caked? Since it holds so much powder maybe 50% of it is caked and yet you can hear the powder moving arouind.

T
Tahnka Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Good point, will convey that to the buddy. But as he described it, the "concrete" happened as a result of igniting the primer, and was absolute on all the powder inside (after it rattled fine prior). I can't see how that occurs. Of course, the solution is to dismantle all completely to brass and begin anew.

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking if the primer ignited with enough force to send bullet into barrel, powder is bad.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Thinking if the primer ignited with enough force to send bullet into barrel, powder is bad.

Yep, same thing happens when the case is not charged with powder. Or so I hear.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.