Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Thanks guys for all the input. south ridge...be sure and post pics when you get'er done.

3dtestify or doctor encore or anyone who can answer this question. Did they drop the T from 77ST when they added the integral scope base? If so, about what year was that if anyone knows. I have been surprised over the last few years at some of the Rugers that have shown up at my friend's shop. I have been hoping a hollowbolt will show up. My friend (who wasn't even born when the hollowbolts were made, was not aware that there was any such creature. The good news is, if one ever comes in, I have dibs on it and can't wait to get my hands on it...lol.

My fading memory is telling me that the ST stood for smooth top.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the late Ronnie Burke was the author of that fine book. If I am understanding your question about the ST designation correctly, the “T” was never dropped when they “added the integral scope base”. The Ruger integral scope ring base system was the original design offered as a R or RS rifle in the first generation of M77 rifles when introduced in 1968. The D&T “round top” receivers were offered a couple years later by Ruger at the behest of some gun writer friends of Bill’s so they could use their favorite scope mounts of the day and satisfy the sportsman who had the same attitude. I personally have never understood what the ST & PL designations were suppose to mean? I’ve even seen photos of an ST rifle with a box marked “RT”, meaning round top? I just don’t know

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for that, model70man. Just goes to show that one should never just assume, as I assumed it meant "sights". It's a lesson that one would think I would have learned by now. But...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for that, model70man. Just goes to show that one should never just assume, as I assumed it meant "sights". It's a lesson that one would think I would have learned by now. But...

You're welcome Sir. Somewhere I have a large poster from Ruger that I received from them when I had an FFL back in the day that explains the model designations. I owned a Liberty model ST but unfortunately got rid of it. I kind of liked that round top because it would take scope mounts for a M700 Remington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up and old 77ST. I have read conflicting reports on them. Some have told me that there were no ST's that shipped from the factory that were already drilled and tapped. There was a 77PL (I'm assuming it meant "plain") that was drilled and tapped but had no sights. But we all know that Ruger did some things that were not cataloged. So...does anyone know if any 77's were shipped from the factory with sights AND were D &T'ed? This particular one is in 30/06 and has a bi-centennial barrel.

PS...If I have already posted this question, forgive me as I tried to post it last night but I can't find it today. But, my internet was messing up last night so not sure if it made it or not.

I have had more than one Ruger ST, and they are in fact drilled and tapped from the factory, as is the PL. As stated above, they take the same mounts as a Remington 700.

Info from "Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume Two"

[Linked Image]

Here is some more info from the RugerForum site.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=162694

Last edited by 308ld; 11/23/17.

Ed
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
308ld-thanks for the chart!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think Ruger was hedging their bets thinking not everyone would buy into their integral base idea. In the process, they created a collectable of sorts, or a better-looking rifle, depending on your taste.

My understanding was that they began providing the round-tops because a number of dealers complained that the integral base idea prevented them from selling bases with rifles, reducing their profit. I'm not sure if it's true or not, but that was conventional wisdom of the time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by model70man

You're welcome Sir. Somewhere I have a large poster from Ruger that I received from them when I had an FFL back in the day that explains the model designations. I owned a Liberty model ST but unfortunately got rid of it. I kind of liked that round top because it would take scope mounts for a M700 Remington.

The Liberty "ST" I owned did not have sights.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
If your rifle was a Round Top without sights, then it would have been the "PL". Correct?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
629 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.