Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just picked up and old 77ST. I have read conflicting reports on them. Some have told me that there were no ST's that shipped from the factory that were already drilled and tapped. There was a 77PL (I'm assuming it meant "plain") that was drilled and tapped but had no sights. But we all know that Ruger did some things that were not cataloged. So...does anyone know if any 77's were shipped from the factory with sights AND were D &T'ed? This particular one is in 30/06 and has a bi-centennial barrel.

PS...If I have already posted this question, forgive me as I tried to post it last night but I can't find it today. But, my internet was messing up last night so not sure if it made it or not.

GB1

O
O
77ST Round Tops had open sights and were drilled and tapped. They take Remington 700 mounts, at least my .257 Roberts did.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

I've found the same thing. They were drilled and tapped and had sights. I had a 30-06 also, went to an old friend of mine who still uses it. Nice rifles.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Ruger M77ST is a round top,D&T for M700 bases and had sights, the M77PL is a round top with a plain barrel & no sights.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, gentlemen. 3dtestify...I was also told that the 77PL was given to dealers and possibly retailers who sold a certain no. of Ruger products. Do you, or anyone, know this to be true? Thanks again for each of your replies. The bluing on this old rifle is in very good condition and I am one happy camper with it!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Thanks, gentlemen. 3dtestify...I was also told that the 77PL was given to dealers and possibly retailers who sold a certain no. of Ruger products. Do you, or anyone, know this to be true? Thanks again for each of your replies. The bluing on this old rifle is in very good condition and I am one happy camper with it!

This was not true,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think Ruger was hedging their bets thinking not everyone would buy into their integral base idea. In the process, they created a collectable of sorts, or a better-looking rifle, depending on your taste.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have not heard that the PL was a dealer special. Around 90% of M77 production were the R models with clean barrels, and only 10% were RS models with sights. The PL was offered to all distributors and dealers IMHO.

Last edited by 3dtestify; 11/17/17.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The 77PLs were some sort of distributor exclusive. I'm not a Ruger expert but I do have a few and ended up in this discussion on the Ruger forum a few years back:

http://rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=215243

This led to a subsequent discussion with the publisher of the Reference of Ruger Firearms.

If you have any Ruger-specific questions I recommend posting them on that site. There are some good guys over there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
. Around 90% of M77 production were the R models with clean barrels, and only 10% were RS models with sights.

Interesting, I did not know that. I do know that I prefer the looks of the RS models.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I stand corrected! If one of the Ruger M77 expert collectors like Randy Graham says the PL was a distributor special, then that’s what it was! I just learned something today!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a round top 77 that had open sights and was D & T. It was a very accurate 30-06 with old style Nosler 165 gr. Partitions. The dark walnut stock was beautiful. I don't recall what I traded it for but I'm pretty sure it was a mistake.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by south_ridge
The 77PLs were some sort of distributor exclusive. I'm not a Ruger expert but I do have a few and ended up in this discussion on the Ruger forum a few years back:

http://rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=215243

This led to a subsequent discussion with the publisher of the Reference of Ruger Firearms.

If you have any Ruger-specific questions I recommend posting them on that site. There are some good guys over there.

South Ridge-thanks for that. I had actually read that thread by doing an archive search on that site a couple of weeks ago. I then posted about the rifle on there. There was a little going back and forth and there was not a consensus on the matter. Your father was the one with the hollowbolt, correct? Were you able to restore it? If so, could you post a pic of it on here. I have only seen one in my lifetime and have never forgotten it, it was in a 25/06 at a gun show. A hollowbolt, an 77RSI, and a 77PL are on my bucket list.

Forgot to add, I agree; there are some great guys on that site who know their stuff. I have even seen a couple of guys from here on there. Thanks to all who have replied.

Last edited by Ruger77Shooter; 11/17/17.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Several years back, I stumbled across a hollow bolt at a gun show & it followed me home. The seller of course had no clue as to its rarity, they see a hole in the bolt knob & think it’s like post war Model 70’s , “they all have’em”! Mine is a M77S in 7x57 Mauser, the “S” designation means it was shipped with sights, but without the rings & unless you have the original box to verify this, the Ruger records letter is required for confirmation. Best estimate is there were roughly 3,000 hollowbolts made in long action only cartridges. These early Ruger M77 rifles are my favorite, especially the RS rifles with the sights.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I didn't restore it. In fact, I had kind of forgotten about it until this conversation popped up. Sounds like a good winter project.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well if some one has a round too w/ or/w/o sights in 308 they want part with, let me know.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Outdoor Sports HDQ in Dayton, Ohio was one or Ruger's largest distributors and did receive runs of the Ruger "PL" models. Most of Ruger's main distributors at the time complained to Ruger they offered to many models of the Ruger 77 between the "R" model "ST" and "RS" in all calibers which was too many "SKU's to inventory. The Ruger 77 model offerings were thinned out with-in a few years.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys for all the input. south ridge...be sure and post pics when you get'er done.

3dtestify or doctor encore or anyone who can answer this question. Did they drop the T from 77ST when they added the integral scope base? If so, about what year was that if anyone knows. I have been surprised over the last few years at some of the Rugers that have shown up at my friend's shop. I have been hoping a hollowbolt will show up. My friend (who wasn't even born when the hollowbolts were made, was not aware that there was any such creature. The good news is, if one ever comes in, I have dibs on it and can't wait to get my hands on it...lol.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Thanks guys for all the input. south ridge...be sure and post pics when you get'er done.

3dtestify or doctor encore or anyone who can answer this question. Did they drop the T from 77ST when they added the integral scope base? If so, about what year was that if anyone knows. I have been surprised over the last few years at some of the Rugers that have shown up at my friend's shop. I have been hoping a hollowbolt will show up. My friend (who wasn't even born when the hollowbolts were made, was not aware that there was any such creature. The good news is, if one ever comes in, I have dibs on it and can't wait to get my hands on it...lol.

honestly...I can't remember.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you, Sir...wish I had not sold the book on the Ruger 77. I did it in a time when I couldn't afford to even think about buying a rifle and just figured someone else could get use from it. I'm thinking Ronnie Burke was the one who wrote it. Not sure if it would have told that or not though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 2003and2013, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.