Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
They are starting to interest me.
I drive a 2003 F150, and I like the new Aluminum body trucks and in the Spring 2018 the diesel will be available in a F150.
They might be able to get my business.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why a diesel in a half ton truck?
All the hassles of a diesel but none of the benefits.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Diesels don't get good enough mileage to justify the added expense just for driving plus the price of diesel is higher than gas. They're made for heavy hauling. If you don't do that, they're a loser.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't want to say, but I agree with the above two. No way I would want a light duty diesel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The main reason I'd maybe want a diesel in a half-ton or even compact truck would be crazy-good MPG. If it can't offer that, then you guys are right, it won't be worth it.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 2016 Ram 3500 CC 6.7 deisel gets 18-19 around town and has gotten up to 22 on highway while having a 4400# pound payload and towing cap of 17k.....unless the ford is going to get up to that 28-30mph no reason IMO to own a Half Ton diesel......

As a side note as other have said - having a deisel isnt cheap....I use the dealer for oil and fuel filter changes and thats about $300 everytime i need both of those services done which for me is about twice a year, plus the cost of filling up a a 32 gallon tank with $3 deisel and around $20 in def every 3-4k miles...something to consider. However, once you have towed with a deisel, you will never want a gasser again.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
New diesels have gotten ridiculous. Ford is probably the last one I’d want too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paying off a diesel and having it still have tons of life left at 200,000 miles is nothing to sneeze at the way truck prices are escalating.

Also, just went quail hunting today and spent some time on some sporty, semi-washed out mountain trails, where the torque of a diesel ROCKS. Drive it like a tractor at a steady 1500 RPMs and nothing fazes it.

I only tow occassionally, but I have zero regrets about splurging for a diesel in 2003 for a hunting truck. Almost guaranteed I would have had to replace a 2003 gasser by this time, with the way i use my hunting trucks. Instead, I have a LOT of truck left, all would indicate (oil analysis, etc.)

If you're going to swap it out every few years, I agree. Go gasser.

For me, buying a diesel hunting truck with the long view in mind was unquestionably the correct decision.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, my truck uses 10 quarts of oil as from the factory. I have a secondary bypass filter which ups the capacity by a quart. 3 gallons of Mobil 1 TurboDiesel 5W/40 run me roughly $70, plus $10 for a Mobil1 oil filter is $80. I usually send Blackstone $25 for an oil analysis when the oil has 12K on it, and have been dropping it at 20,000 miles just on principle, as both times I sent it in at 20,000 miles the lab said it was good for another 5-10,000 miles.

I do the work myself, which I realize not everyone wants to do, but my oil and lube costs me $100 and about an hour of labor, including hitting the zerks with a grease gun, every 20,000 miles or so.

I ain't complainin'. Truck purrs like a kitten still.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And yes, new diesels have gotten ridiculous price-wise, and all that emissions horsesh!t is something I am glad my Duramax predates. Circa 2003 California emissions is bad enough.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Diesels really do excell in tooling around the back country at idle, burning half a gallon an hour. When running into town for fuel takes four or five hours, that's a big deal.

As far as longevity, my Tacos do 300K miles a heck of a lot cheaper.

Now, if Ford actually makes a truck with a decent payload (say, more than the redhead's minivan, unlike Dodge's diesel), I might be curious enough to take a look and see if they make it in a trim level a farmer can use....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If they put a Cummins in it and beefed it up slightly , I’d be interested. A compact Tractor would fling the back end of my 2104 f150 around like a rag doll when loading on trailer.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a 2016 Colorado 2.8 d max diesel. Put 35k on it so far and love it. 28 mpg running 75-80 with ac on. Can change oil with full sun and ac delco filter for $45. Oil filter goes in from the top. Very easy. Fuel filters every 25k. They are cheap and stupid easy to change. Will pull my 30 hp compact kubota b7800 with feel and 5' bush hog on a 18' equip trailer or my 20' center console much better than my previous 1500 z-71 crew cabs. 7700 towing capacity ain't bad for a 4 cyl. What's not to like? Mine is a "long bed" which is 5'11" I believe.

Hardin284
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ford already mfg's the little diesel for Range Rover and RR has already jumped through a bunch of hoops for emissions. The RR's are getting 28 mpg and weight the same as the aluminum f-150's. Speculation is that Ford will tune it for better fuel economy than the Dodge Eco Diesel, so upwards of 30 mpg possibly? Might be cool, other than the DEF and regen crap.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd want to wait at least 5 years to see if the light duty diesels have any where near the reliability and durability of the diesels in the 3/4 and 1 tons. Ford has put out some dud diesels in the full size trucks, I'd not want to be their guinea pig for the light duty diesels.

Unless Ford has worked some aerodynamic magic, color me highly skeptical of a 30 mpg truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
If they put a Cummins in it and beefed it up slightly , I’d be interested. A compact Tractor would fling the back end of my 2104 f150 around like a rag doll when loading on trailer.

That sounds like you had too much weight behind the trailer axle making it too light on the hitch. That can cause a jackknife.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I'd want to wait at least 5 years to see if the light duty diesels have any where near the reliability and durability of the diesels in the 3/4 and 1 tons. Ford has put out some dud diesels in the full size trucks, I'd not want to be their guinea pig for the light duty diesels.

Unless Ford has worked some aerodynamic magic, color me highly skeptical of a 30 mpg truck.

Dodge is seeing 28 with the Eco Diesel.

I know guys with 4bt's in old Ford's that are close to that 30 mpg's without being housed in an aluminum truck with a 10 speed trans.

The motor has been in the Range Rover for a while, but yeah, they've screwed the pooch on several diesels.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Ford has been selling a diesel Ranger (new one built in Thailand) in Australia for years now, and they have a pretty good reputation with the Aussies. A lot of them have been buying the Ranger as opposed to the new HiLuxes from Toyota. I read their comments now and then, and the one thing I've figured out is that they do NOT like the common-rail small diesels, though I have no idea WTF a common-rail diesel is.

Australia is now importing ALL their vehicles, since GM closed the Holden plant, and everyone else has pulled out, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Common rail direct fuel injection is a direct fuel injection system for diesel engines. On diesel engines, it features a high-pressure (over 100 bar or 10 MPa or 1,500 psi) fuel rail feeding individual solenoid valves, as opposed to a low-pressure fuel pump feeding unit injectors (or pump nozzles).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Diesels don't get good enough mileage to justify the added expense just for driving plus the price of diesel is higher than gas. They're made for heavy hauling. If you don't do that, they're a loser.

Exactly, for a daily driver things just don't add up. When they build a Diesel truck, a Colorado or half ton that will get about 35 MPG or more they might just get my attention.

NEVER GIVE UP
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,661 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.