Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I have a ground hog that took up residence under my walk down stairs to basement. And I think one under my deck. I live in suburban so I cannot use anything rimfire and above. Do you think an Air gun will kill a ground hog if shot from 15 yards? If not air gun then I guess bow and strings is another option. I've never owned an air gun which is why I am asking. Thanks in advance for any information. BTW none of my rimfires will take the shorts except I think my Marlin 39a might but will have to check.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Airguns will kill ground hogs easily, but if it's just to rid yourself of a couple varmints, just buy either CCI Quiets or CB Shorts. Either will work out of your Marlin & will be about as quiet as an airgun.
If you want an airgun anyway, a pneumatic (pump up) Benjaman or Sheridan in .22 or 5mm will do it for less than 2 bills new. There are several springers that will work and the precharged pneumatics, but those generally will put you into a higher price range.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
22 long rifle will shoot shorts as the rimfire headspaces off the rim of the cartridge but may not function through the magazine, clip or tube.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've killed groundhogs out to 25 yards with both a 177 and 22 airgun. You need a good shot to the head, but they'll kill them. The 22 does a better job than than the 177 though.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Killed a number of them in similar situation with 177 cal. Shot to the head will end it quick. To the lungs will send it to the hole to die.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tmitch is right about the shorts feeding through your 39. I used to load up a bunch and crank away.

I'd suggest the segmented Quiet .22s for your task. Not as accurate as the solids, but should be better killers. At the range you describe, no matter. I'd still aim for the head. Make sure you check the sighting.

None of this is meant to discourage you from getting an airgun, if that's what you really want, but $8.00 for a box of ammo beats a C-note or two for getting rid of one critter. Another option is a Havahart live-trap. Some animal control offices will loan them out. Just be sure you take them twice as far as you think you should before letting them go!

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
How about a crossbow https://goo.gl/QDaqhM for sure, that should do it whistle and probably doesn't need to be an expensive sophisticated one, just to be accurate enough smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My FX Verminator airgun shoots arrows too. Not cheap though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I give 100 or so of these the old dirt nap with my Beeman R9 each year.
[Linked Image]

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got a fifty dollar pawn shop Crosman Nitro Piston .22 that will shread a steel can at 60 yards, so I'd guess a groundhog at 15 yards would be dead meat.

It's much quieter than CB Shorts.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Head shots the best and as stated the 22s are more than 2x the 177s. Dont forget that when these residents are gone the vacuum created will attract new colonists. Some time filling the burrows with broken glass and finishing the job with a nice packed plug of the vacant burrow with at least 12" of dirt/topsoil. Be on the look out for newbees, as soon as the crop of young is weaned theyll be out looking for new "digs"

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Single-feed 22CB caps into any 22 LR-capable rifle. Done.

CB caps are quieter than a pellet rifle. They do a far more thorough job.

Otherwise, buy a Havahart. Take the captures to your Mother-in-law's.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by valad
I have a ground hog that took up residence under my walk down stairs to basement. And I think one under my deck. I live in suburban so I cannot use anything rimfire and above. Do you think an Air gun will kill a ground hog if shot from 15 yards? If not air gun then I guess bow and strings is another option. I've never owned an air gun which is why I am asking. Thanks in advance for any information. BTW none of my rimfires will take the shorts except I think my Marlin 39a might but will have to check.

In many locals air guns are treated as firearms so it's illegal to discharge them in town.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gemby58
22 long rifle will shoot shorts as the rimfire headspaces off the rim of the cartridge but may not function through the magazine, clip or tube.

CB longs are better.

[Linked Image from ]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
i got both a 22 & 25 caliber Marauder, both with kill groundhogs, 25 cal does it better and farther

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by centershot
[Linked Image]

Hi Centershot - what caliber is that R9? they are very nice rifles!

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by valad

If it's just one I'd just get a trap of your choice for a few bucks and either shoot it or drown it after trapping. generally where there's one there is more tho. I've had luck on a couple Ghogs with a RWS34 in 22 cal. shots limited to about 25 yds

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Recurve1
Originally Posted by centershot
[Linked Image]

Hi Centershot - what caliber is that R9? they are very nice rifles!

.22 cal. I have owned several .177's and 22's - the .22 is a superior hunting caliber. Quicker cleaner kills with the .22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used .177 RWS Model 45 and also a .22 RWS Model 48. Head shots kill them where I can collect them.

A body shot will kill them but then they'll run under my shed and I'll "smell victory" a couple of days later.

Dan

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad I don'thave to worry about such things. Shot one in my wifes flower bed just this afternoon out my living room window with my .22 mag... There are certain advantages to living in the country.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.