Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ole_270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Got my gear straightened away and put up from a pheasant hunt this weekend and checked the weather. Called for drizzle late this afternoon and all night, so I figured the deer would be moving. Grabbed my Mission MXB-320 xbow and walked out to the closest stand from the house. Wasn't long till a small forky with one side broken off at the skull came by. Watched a 18" 8 point for a while as it skirted around my area and drifted off up the other hollow. Finally had a young doe come in, closed to 10 yards and spent some time looking at the strange lump in the tree. A larger doe soon followed and when she turned broadside at 18 yards I hit her with the NAP Spitfire 3 blade. The does ran off about 20 yards with the one I shot at standing behind a screen of brush. I watched the doe I had shot at for what must of been 5 minutes with no sign of distress. The younger one started back my direction, taking my attention off the other for a moment. When I looked back I couldn't see the older one. I couldn't believe I had missed at that close range, but she never showed any signs of alarm. I waited about another 10 minutes for the younger doe to leave, but finally climbed down and found my arrow. It was bloody from one end to the other. Went to the last place I'd seen the doe and she was laying about 3 yards the other side of the brush. Perfect center lung shot, near side entrance had sliced the back of the leg muscle. I still don't know why it took her so long to drop with that hit, factory new broadhead, and I do check them for sharpness before using. Just glad she didn't run, it gets real thick just beyond where she dropped.

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats on the doe.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations.

Perhaps the lack of excertion kept her from bleeding out so fast, obviously she felt very little pain. Well done!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very good!! meat in the freezer

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good on you for waiting to come off your stand.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats
I hope to do same in Ks right after thanksgiving

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Deer don't die as quickly as folks think. They may fall quickly sometimes. And since she didn't run, her BP was not up high.. less loss.

I've actually seen a couple of good bucks clot up a double lung hit and be alive 3 hours later when we went to look. Neither made it much past where they stood up out of the bed. But both didn't run off fast to start with. Its like they knew how best to handle the situation to try to survive.

Want to see a longer time to bleed out watch a liver shot deer once.... almost reminds me of a gut shot one in a way, but not the hours and hours that a gut shot one takes...

Heck I"ve seen heart shot deer make it over 400 yards...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.