Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Front is noticeably higher than the back.

Gas mileage is gonna suck, driving uphill all the time......grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If budget allows, look into a 383 crate for your truck.
Very good torque output, for the cubic inch.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know how to post pics on here anymore, but so far I'm damned happy. Soft ride, much more so than I'd figured, especially up front. Hanging the plow on there doesn't hardly even make a dent in the springs. Front is noticeably higher than the back, looks a little off but I care not one whit. Man, I love this old oil leaking sob. Just fun to drive them, took it all the way into town today to fill up the tanks, rest of the winter she'll just be pushing snow around. I'll need to add a leaf or put the airbags back in it to haul any serious weight this summer though which is a bit of a bummer.

Now, I need to figure out how to get a crate motor and rebuild the tranny in it and it'll be $hit hot for me. With the taller tires she does 60 on the highway no problem, and while OD would be awesome (and necessary if I were to make it into a daily driver) I could absolutely live with the old 4 speed in it.

The front is higher even with new rear springs?

Depending on what you're looking to haul, and how much lower the pickup sits in the back, you could do a zero rate add-a-leaf, or do a 2.5" shackle flip, both of which are available from Offroad Design. Both of these are a better deal than blocks, which I've seen some issues with.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Front is noticeably higher than the back.

Gas mileage is gonna suck, driving uphill all the time......grin

Good thing the speedo and odometer don't work, the math would make me not drive it at all. smile

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

The front is higher even with new rear springs?

Depending on what you're looking to haul, and how much lower the pickup sits in the back, you could do a zero rate add-a-leaf, or do a 2.5" shackle flip, both of which are available from Offroad Design. Both of these are a better deal than blocks, which I've seen some issues with.

Yeah, I didn't measure before hand and afterward, so for all I know I got taller springs up front? laugh All I know is it all bolted on, and after putting on brake line extensions and replacing the fuel tanks (and straps which were a real muther) she's up and running again. Honestly I kinda think I got 4" fronts by the looks of it. But I got mucho clearance and sex appeal. If I get to do all I have planned on it, all I need to do is drive through whitefish and the bed will be full of poontang. haha (not really. Maybe if I put a Lambo badge on the grill?)

It won't see a lot of heavy loads, hell it'll only see a couple hundred miles a year. But it does need to be able to take a tall stack of firewood, and currently it can't. When the retard that built the flatbed that's on it now, he didn't put enough space twixt the bed and the frame so she sits a bit low. I'd hoped to mitigate that with the springs,but I negated that with the taller tires. So as far as I can figure, I need to either put spacers between the bed and frame, add a leaf to keep the bed from falling on the tires, or put the bags back in it which will entail some minor but detailed work. I'm not even considering putting blocks under the springs. Hadn't thought about a shackle flip. That'll be a spring time project, between plowing and gathering firewood.

MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If budget allows, look into a 383 crate for your truck.
Very good torque output, for the cubic inch.

Right now the budget allows gas and oil to keep her running lol. But I do need to make a plan and start saving towards it. lots of time between now and then to figure out what to do.

MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.