Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I know I will get raked over the coals for this post but I need to know if anyone has had the same problem. I loaded up some 150 gr Partitions over 50 gr of RL19 in a 7x57 for an elk hunt. Did not get a shot at an elk but took them to the lease for wt hunt. Got a shot at small doe and she ran off with not a drop of blood to be found by 3 hunters looking. A week later again wt hunting in S. Ark, again a medium size doe was shot and she ran well over a hundred yds leaving only a drop of blood every 15 to 20 ft.. Is it possible that the thin skin 80 lb doe simply did not offer enough resistance for the partition to expand? The exit hole on 2nd doe was about the size of a dime. The shot was picture perfect as far placement.

I do know that I will not be using the partition for the small wt in my hunting areas again!

Thanks

HR IC

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
How old were these bullets. Some of the older Partitions were pretty hard.

I've seen the exact same problem with it's bigger brother, the 175gr Partitions for years back.

Back in the 80's I experienced the same thing with some .277 NPT on Elk. Dime sized hole in and out.

I was under the impression Nosler had softened the front section of the partitions a few years back.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not likely. The Partition has a pretty "soft" front core which opens up quickly. Sometimes weird things happen to bullets. Try using 140 grain Partitions for a bit more velocity, or try 140 grain Ballistic Tips if you think your Partitions don't open up fast enough. Ask Mule Deer if you want expert opinion on bullets. Good luck next time, and let us know what happens.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds like a shot placement thing to me. Or at least if the animals weren't recovered there's no way to rule it out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Smokepole, guess you didn't read the entire post!

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sounds like a shot placement thing to me. Or at least if the animals weren't recovered there's no way to rule it out.

I'm beginning to think Partitions only work in the interior west. Must be an altitude thing............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have used the 140 grain Nosler Partition bullet for years in a 7X57 with excellent results on whitetails deer. I don't see why the 150 grain wouldn't work just as well. Your experience is puzzling.

μολὼν λαβέ
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just my .02. I doubt it was the bullet. Blood trails are somewhat problematic. Sometimes they don't exist or they are very light and/or don't start until 20 yards or so. Good blood trails are dependant on how much of the heart/lung area have been hit and even then it's not a sure thing.

Vital zone hit deer often can go 150 yards, personally I've never seen them go much farther. Often they circle back to the direction they came in and were shot but after 150 yard it leaves a lot of ground to look around. In the dark and heavy cover it's not easy.

I've never had an issue with Partitions but Accubonds have been a different story. I used to swear by them but in two case after recovering and cleaning the deer they clearly did not expand. Now it's only TSX, TTSX, Ballistic Tips and Partitions.

Don't even get me started on using match bullets for hunting smile

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I shoot them in the shoulders. You lose a little meat, but never all of it. I hunt by the property line, if deer jump the fence, it’s gone.

Last edited by hanco; 11/18/17.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

You're right, I didn't.

You're right, I didn't.

So the one you recovered had an exit hole. What kind of damage was done inside the rib cage?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Moderate speed, big game bullet, not much resistance (80 pound doe, presumably lung shot) and less than dramatic impact. Sounds reasonable.

So how was the damage inside the rib cage?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Bullets ( ALL bullets) will typically expand in the first 3-4 inches of flesh....I doubt expansion was an issue here....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Bullets ( ALL bullets) will typically expand in the first 3-4 inches of flesh....I doubt expansion was an issue here....

I understand this, but I'm wondering about the degree of bullet upset given the statement about picture perfect placement.

There is the Berger VLD exception to the immediate expansion statement.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Mz velocity is 2700 so a wag would be 2600 at impact, both doe were approximately 90 to 100 yds. not much internal damage on doe that were recovered. Now here is why I think the small doe didn't offer enough resistance to the bullet, a week prior to the Ark hunt we were in Montana, where a 175-180 lb buck took two steps and dropped at 140 yds with same bullet and load. Exit hole was approximately 3 in.. bullet placement was almost exactly the same as doe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have used Partitions, in a variety of calibers, for about 4 decades and at least a couple hundred critters. A 150 gr Partition out of a 300 Savage took a 7 pt whitetail through the lungs just this morning. The blood trail looked to have been laid with a paint sprayer, and didn't go more that 50 yards. My confidence in Partitions is complete.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've taken quite a few deer with a 125 Partition from a 264WM at 3300 fps. Never had one take a step. The only one I caught went stem to stern on a mature buck facing me at about 200. Noticed a lump under the skin on the left ham. Looked like a Nosler ad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had similar problems with much older versions of the partition - lack of expansion on game. Shot a middlin' whitetail buck in the shoulders at 150 yards and dropped him. As I walked up to him he started trying to get up (broken back) so I put another one through him from about 50 yards out. He was still trying to get up when I got a bit closer so I whacked him a third time in the neck, finishing the job. All three just penciled right through. Took the remainder of the box back to the house and shot it into a pile of sand from 40 yards. Of the 17 bullets, 12 never mushroomed at all.

I do use the 85 gr partition in one of my 243's to good success. It might be the velocity vs the mass of the target that has something to do with it in your case. No idea otherwise.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Just got off the phone with Nosler technician about the partition, his response was don't use the 150 gr partition on small, light weight WTs. The 150 is a rather tough bullet designed for heavier deer or elk. He recommended 140 bts or his 2nd choice the ,140 Accubond. The 150 will kill but a lack of animal body mass will cause the bullet to not expand as designed, which is approximately 2 times bullet diameter.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Just got off the phone with Nosler technician about the partition, his response was don't use the 150 gr partition on small, light weight WTs. The 150 is a rather tough bullet designed for heavier deer or elk. He recommended 140 bts or his 2nd choice the ,140 Accubond. The 150 will kill but a lack of animal body mass will cause the bullet to not expand as designed, which is approximately 2 times bullet diameter.

I imagine he would of said the same thing if you asked him about the 175's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.