Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at these two scopes for purchase. I have several VX-2 scopes and am perfectly happy with them. But wonder if the VX-1 3x9x50 would be a better scope. Thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Personally I'd go with the VX-2. The 50mm objective will limit mounting height more. Then again, I don't need or use above 6x for my deer hunting needs.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I too limit 6x for deer. I used a K4 for maybe 30+ years... I used a FX-2 in 6x this year and really liked it. I have a couple 2x7 scopes but think a larger objective lense is preferable sometimes.

I could have been a little more specific. Considering for longer range shooting. Coyotes, antelope, varmints etc. Thanks.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Let me ask the question a little differently and specifically.

“Regarding optical quality and clarity which scope is better?”

Last edited by Bugger; 11/18/17.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the "2".

Personally I have never found a need for the 50mm objective, it is simply not needed with the hunting we do.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I prefer the "2".

Personally I have never found a need for the 50mm objective, it is simply not needed with the hunting we do.

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The VX-2 is optically superior to the VX-1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll take a vx-1 over a 2 every day. In fact I recently bought a new vx-2 and after comparing it to my vx-1's for a week {both 3-9x40's} under various lighting conditions {looking into dark woods from a field at dusk, looking towards a setting sun etc} I ended up sending it back. Just couldn't tell enough difference to even be sure there was any. Plus I hate the non locking "fast focus" of the vx-2. All they really did there is leave the lock ring off the ocular bell and I'd much prefer they didn't. The vx-1's still have the lock ring.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The only thing you might find is that the 50mm scope can use more magnification with the same exit pupil size, which would allow you to see further, under low light conditions. That is "might" not it "it will." That's because a lot depends on your eyes, and low light conditions vary a lot. Not only that, but it is a pretty short period of time after sundown or before sun up.
I, too, have no use for 50mm rifle scope. E

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
VX2

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The 50mm objective is a bigger target to get knocked around, and doesn't balance well on most medium to light rifles. Now if you're stand hunting it might be different.

Personally, I'd save the money and get a VX-1 3-9 x 40. I have VX1 and VX2 2-7's and darned little difference in the quality of view. Plus the VX-1's have the lock ring on the eyepeice.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Even Blackheart agrees with me....I'll be damned..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'll take a vx-1 over a 2 every day. In fact I recently bought a new vx-2 and after comparing it to my vx-1's for a week {both 3-9x40's} under various lighting conditions {looking into dark woods from a field at dusk, looking towards a setting sun etc} I ended up sending it back. Just couldn't tell enough difference to even be sure there was any. Plus I hate the non locking "fast focus" of the vx-2. All they really did there is leave the lock ring off the ocular bell and I'd much prefer they didn't. The vx-1's still have the lock ring.

Ive got both, my thoughts exactly...

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I’d also go with the VX 2.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to a place that sells both and compare them. We speak of optical quality as if it is an absolute when I think a lot of it has to do with our eyes.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your responses.

I have VX-1’s, VX-2’s and VX3i’s and various older VX scopes. And I like fixed scopes. I’ve read about “pin cushion” edges on VX-1’s, tho I have not noticed any such thing, however I don’t understand what is meant by “pin cushion.”

As far as the size of the scope, this application of which I am writing about, size isn’t so much an issue.

I’m building, what I hope to be a very accurate rifle with a Douglas Premium air gauge barrel with a 280 Remington chamber on a long action Remington 700. I have a Kevlar stock, a couple of choices for an after market triggers on hand.

One main application I’m considering to use this build- I have a considerable amount of coyotes on my property. The plan is to be sitting on a hill side over looking a couple of dens, timing will be at dawn and at sunset. I will know precisely the distances involved and I plan on using a high ballistic co-efficient bullet. Wind may likely be an issue and distances could be as far as 500 yards. I’ll have wind flags set.

(I’m sure many of you would prefer other cartridges, other manufacturer’s rifle, other barrels, etc. but I’m going this direction.)

My eyes used to be better than 20-20, now I’ve got cataract in the right eye, my dominant eye and I’m right handed. I can still see well enough to use iron sights, but not for this application.

My concern is optical quality and light gathering with the power set at 9x.

Thanks again for your responses.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Under those circumstances the 50mm may be the better bet!

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Under those circumstances the 50mm may be the better bet!

Absolutely.

You might even consider going up to either 12X or 14X on the high end, as well.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 11/19/17.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
From what I can tell the 1 and 2 are 2% aparton lighttransmissiin and the 2 has a fastfocus eyepiece.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'll take a vx-1 over a 2 every day

If you're comparing similar scopes a good argument can be made that a VX-2 isn't worth the added cost. A current production VX-1 is essentially a VX-2 from several years ago. But then a current production VX-2 is basically a VX-3 from several years ago. But all things being equal a 50mm objective will cost about $100 more. If they are selling at the same price point the 50mm glass is cheaper and will negate any advantage over 40mm glass. In this case the VX-2 wins handily.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 51 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.