Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Elvis was wanted to play Campbell's part but that dope head wanted 'billing' over Wayne!!

Egotistical bastid he was!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Barry Pepper ain't no Robert Duvall either. Josh Brolin was a poor Tom Chaney as well. They both have their stong/weak points, but i think it is best to look at them as 2 different movies and you will appreciate each one more. It was tiring trying to hear exactly what Jeff Bridges was saying with a mouthfull of spit...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 Agreed!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I liked the humor with Wayne's movie, but the new version was "grittier".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
New one. The dude abides.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I liked both, second better. I never understood how a "dead" Lebeof pulled them out of the pit. The grown up Mattie added a finish. My wife will watch everything except riding Little Blackie down.

I always liked the dialogue of the bear man doctoring when they will hold still for it. And "you got your work cut out for you there" I would have to watch that scene to get the exact phrasing.

The girl who played Mattie in the second had scenes in "The Homesman". A differenter western if you can find it.

As for John Wayne, he always played himself. In all his movies the named charactder was made to fit his character.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

In the original, I can watch the scene with Kim Darby horse trading and getting under Struther Martin's skin any day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Number one does view as dated but I like it better. I thought Bridges over played the character and Matt Damon is a lousy Texan.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Loved everything about True Grit #1. The scene when Little Blackie collapses is the most poignant ever filmed.

Trying to remember any performance in which I enjoyed Jeff Bridges. Totally failing!

The Dude??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeff Bridges is no stranger to the western, especially in light of how sparse they've been in the past thirty or so years. He was in Bad Company, a movie filmed and set not far from True Grit, in his youth. The Last Picture Show was a modern western. So was Rancho Deluxe. He played James Butler Hickock in Wild Bill. Both Bridges and Wayne were accomplished actors. The Dude becomes a character. The Duke took a character and made that character himself.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
just watched the remake on demand, i agree it is much better than the original.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I thought Jeff Bridges was very good in Hell Or High Water, a modern western.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The original True Grit was filmed near our ranch and hometown. I was an extra in the hanging scene--one of the munchkins running around.

In the background of the shoot out scene is Chimney Rock and Courthouse Rock. My dad killed his first elk just below Courthouse Rock in 1955.

Although Glen Campbell was a god in the culture I grew up with, it didn't take long for people to realize he was a mean drunk who rarely came out of his motel room.

Kim Darby was one weird chick.

John Wayne was a hoot. He used to have dinner at the Red Barn restaurant and bar. He and his entourage would take a table in the middle of the bar and hold court for hours several times a week.

Long story, but Strother Martin spent the night in our spare bedroom when he arrived early and there were no motel rooms available within 50 miles.

Nobody knew who Robert Duvall was back then.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Long story, but Strother Martin spent the night in our spare bedroom when he arrived early and there were no motel rooms available within 50 miles.

When he arrived early and had no room reservation I wonder if he broke into..."What we have here is failure to communicate"!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There was another True Grit?

Yes, Richard. Two movies.

1969 w/ The Duke and

2010 with The Dude

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The original True Grit was filmed near our ranch and hometown. I was an extra in the hanging scene--one of the munchkins running around.

In the background of the shoot out scene is Chimney Rock and Courthouse Rock. My dad killed his first elk just below Courthouse Rock in 1955.

Although Glen Campbell was a god in the culture I grew up with, it didn't take long for people to realize he was a mean drunk who rarely came out of his motel room.

John Wayne was a hoot. He used to have dinner at the Red Barn restaurant and bar. He and his entourage would take a table in the middle of the bar and hold court for hours several times a week.

A gun dealer friend/neighbor of mine used to live in California. He was at one of the big parks out there...out in the middle of nowhere at some overlook or the like...trailhead, something, and here comes Strother Martin, just strolling along with a pair of Irish Wolfhounds.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I drew a blank on Strother Martin, I had to google him. Oh yeah, he was a great supporting actor.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Barry Pepper ain't no Robert Duvall either. Josh Brolin was a poor Tom Chaney as well. They both have their stong/weak points, but i think it is best to look at them as 2 different movies and you will appreciate each one more. It was tiring trying to hear exactly what Jeff Bridges was saying with a mouthfull of spit...

I thought Brolin and Pepper did a better job.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That's cool 'crick.

Duvall is one of my all time favorite actors.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
This thread convinced me to see the second one, for the first time.

I liked both. I liked the lighter ending of the first one but thought the second one had characters portrayed a little more realistically.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

440 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 52 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.