Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
tired

Last edited by DigitalDan; 11/18/17.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Those were killed with a 308. Bullet was 170 partition flat nose 30 30 bullet. Subsonic suppressed load.

[Linked Image]

Here’s another good day

Last edited by hanco; 11/18/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Berger VLD. Muledeer wrote about how they work. He was right on. The ones I shot in TX performed as you requested.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I loaded 140 Bergers for my 264 Win mags, accurate as hell. I wasn’t too impressed with them shooting 🐷 pigs.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
One of my duties after deer season is over is to sneak around at night in a high dollar Home Owners Association near Richland Chambers lake and take out feral hogs that are destroying lawns and right of ways.

I may have missed this, but how close are you to the residences? In my experience, most folks who live in places with a HOA don't like to hear gunfire.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well that is true to an extent, you see keeping up with the Jones's (informal competition on whose yard looks the nicest) and hogs absolutely ruining yards that a lot of money has been spent on changes the rules a bit. Plus the ongoing plinking at the hogs that the homeowners do themselves, which I wish they wouldn't do makes gunfire rather common in this HOA. I personally don't like to shoot near other peoples houses but the money makes it worth it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You got to pick your shots.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I'd be real tempted to experiment with a 300 Blackout, suppressed. Lots of bullet choices then, including the 170 gr 30-30 bullet that hanco apparently uses to great effect.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would definitely consider Berger Hunting VLD's, especially started at not more than 2800 fps. Unlike most bullets, they penetrate 2-3" before expanding, then pretty much come apart, killing quickly but not ricocheting even if they do exit.

Hanco's mixed experiences with VLD's us due to what too many hunters (especially more "mature" hunters) do with relatively easy-expanding, long-range bullets. They think that any long-range bullet should be started at high velocity, then are disappointed (or worse) when the bullets fail to penetrate enough at close range. But one of the major advantages of such bullets is they DON'T need to be started at 3000+ fps to work at long range, and at more moderate muzzle velocities work well at short ranges too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

30 carbine with 110gr soft point Sierra pro hunter bullets.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An elevated stand is your best friend. The hIgher the better.
Now, pass through go into the dirt or even hitting a rock takes away from their energy.
Also, no one ever wants to take this to the biggest concern, misses. A mostly spent bullet
is not as bad as a miss. Going into the dirt, or a mostly square hit on a rock kills most of the energy.
Unfortunately, you have no idea where a ricochet is going.
A varmint bullet, hitting a rock, shouldn't go anywhere.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 11/20/17.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would definitely consider Berger Hunting VLD's, especially started at not more than 2800 fps. Unlike most bullets, they penetrate 2-3" before expanding, then pretty much come apart, killing quickly but not ricocheting even if they do exit.

Hanco's mixed experiences with VLD's us due to what too many hunters (especially more "mature" hunters) do with relatively easy-expanding, long-range bullets. They think that any long-range bullet should be started at high velocity, then are disappointed (or worse) when the bullets fail to penetrate enough at close range. But one of the major advantages of such bullets is they DON'T need to be started at 3000+ fps to work at long range, and at more moderate muzzle velocities work well at short ranges too.

I'll ad this... 185 bergers, 308 Win, I doubt we hit 2600 FPS MV, expand right nicely out to about 725 yards so far... And don't blow up at 75 yards. Though they still make larger exits than I care for, but they do work.

You do have to have a bit of knowledge when you start messing with "non normal" bullets. Those that have issues with VLDs can often have issues with mono bullets too.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Berger VLD does just what you want.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

On the Hunt I was able to make in TX we had a mix of terrain and were allowed to hunt 24/7. Nights were tree stands or elevated box houses. Most of that was in thick cover and was short range work. I took my 30-06 and had purposely loaded Bergers at 2500 fps for the night shots in close with green LED lights for fast follow up second shots. (This predated the thermal and night vision equipment coming down in price) My shots were close and my hogs were DRT. Example of 3.

For the day time we had long shots overlooking huge fields (Half mile if you wanted to take it) and those were conducted with 2850 fps standard loads. Again, very nice performance at longer ranges with the Bergers.

Plenty of the 65 pigs killed on that trip were shot with CoreLock ammo by the 7 other hunters. (Hogs are not bullet proof, a number were killed, when jumped in the tall grass sneaking, with auto shotguns and #4 buckshot)

One member of the party had sprung for a Night Vision optic and mounted it on a 243 bolt action rem 700. He used Rem Core Lock factory ammo and killed a pile with that combo in the dark.

Good luck getting the numbers down. Agree on the 300BOsub sonic supressed. Low noise is better if you have a large number of hogs to deal with.
The last ones are going to be pretty smart by the time you get to them.........

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
suppressed and hogs. I have not shot a hog in the last 2 years since I"ve had suppressors, without a suppressor in place.

That said I"ve never had the chance to take a second shot at night at the rest of the hogs....

FWIW.

OTOH we could move over a few hundred yards to another area and find them undisturbed in that area. VS a magnum boom having probably scattered any other groups that were fairly close.

This includes having shot quite a few up 200ish pounds range with a suppressed 10-22 and subs.. just figured somewhere in there the rest would have stood still for at least a second head shot...they never did

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Looking at the VLD bullets it looks like the only rifles I have that are twisted fast enough to suit them are 270, 7MM and 308 diameter bullets. Is the "Classic Hunter" similar in effect as the VLD hunting bullets?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

30 carbine with 110gr soft point Sierra pro hunter bullets.

I think the op wants to be a little discrete. Not set off car alarms. Lol

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I traded for some Hornady 120 gr. SST's made for the 6.8 and designed to be run around 2500 fps. After some hanging out on a couple of Texas hog hunting sites I found a character who shoots a 270AR which gives 2800 fps or so and his experience suggested that velocity would give me what I want, no exits in 150+ pound hogs and big exits on the smaller ones. Even the guys running the 6.8 say the SST often sheds it's jacket and breaks up at the velocities it is capable of. Working down to 2800 fps I am going to use IMR 3031 at 42.0 grains and see how that load shoots. Priming, powdering and seating bullets momentarily.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Success instantly. This Ruger is easy to make good ammo for and it shoots as well as could be expected. First two rounds less than 1/2 inch apart, 1/2 inch to the left of center and 1 1/2 inch high. Two clicks right and 4 clicks down and the next three went into less than an inch and landed just a bit high of center. Outstanding. 100 yard Water jug test, absolutely destroyed the first two jugs, made a hole through the third and the core and jacket were found laying between the third and fourth jug with the fourth jug unmarked. The core and jacket weigh 60.3 grains. The jacket was expanded to .580. Worth trying I say.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Good luck - sincerely.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, 13 invisible), 1,550 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.