Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I deer hunt in central Maine stand hunting for deer. Sitting in a stand for 8 to 10 hours straight in 0 to 40 deg heat. I have spent a lot of money on clothing and boots to keep warm but yet I get cold. Planning on a hunt in Manitoba this fall also

With money not being an object what would you recommend for clothes, boots

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd love to hear some answers on the warmest boots!

I just bought the cabelas 2000 gram ThinSulate boots and they suck! My feet froze even with a sock liner and wool!

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wear Mickey Mouse boots up here when I plan to sit. I also wear them icefishing.

Last edited by JDK; 11/19/17.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use one of the little butane heaters, I have glass windows in my stands. I leave one window open, close off most of the open window with felt and push pins. I stay plenty warm. I wear rubber boots, I can take them off, warm my feet-hands over heater.

Lot of times I won’t fire it up, just knowing I have it is helpful.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The heaters help for sure!

Bunny boots, LARGE so you have room for liner sock and thick heavy insulated sock and then could still almost just kick your boot off. IE my day to day fire boot is 10.5 and thats a hair loose the way I like it. Bunny boots are 12. I might even be better with 12.5 or 13...

Just bought Carolyn a De Walt heated jacket. Of course it doesn't get that cold here often so no real input yet on that.

What we wear boot wise here in TX hunting often makes your feet colder because they are to tight. The over boot things would be the thing... take boots off and just put mini sleeping bags on each foot. Obviously hand/foot/body warmers. And you can not insulate a body part warm... it has to be warm BEFORE being insulated....

Generally when its cold enough here to worry, we take our boots off in the stand and put on a thick pair of socks over our normal ones. There is a sleeping bag in the stand for Tiger to stay warm under and sometimes that bag gets put over our socks....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have begun using large Mr. Heaters in our pop up blinds. Most of the cold feet problem is taken care of with chemical toe heaters and carpet on the ground.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The biggest thing that changed for me - foot wise was learning to leave my laces loose.

Allows my feet full blood circulation and thus - they stay warm.

IIRC - Stick pointed that out to me. I had been tying my boots tight - like shoes. Went to looser boots, looser socks etc - much warmer. It created pockets of dead air that insulates it seems.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LaCrosse Iceman pac boots, polypropylene sock and Merino heavy weight socks.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Circulation awareness more than anything. Like teal said, boots can't be too tight, same for everything else. Plus you have to be aware of how you sit, what angle are your feet and ankles in? Don't bind a pressure band across the tops of your feet by having your legs angled too sharply forward, ankles bent too sharply. Same for toes. Same idea goes for gloves/mitts. I like wool flip mitts with magnets. Get them big enough to wear a thin thermal glove inside them without being too tight. You can put little hand warmers in the mitt flippers.
Wool is great but you need a wind shell too. It's tough to find the right pants/coat, personal preference.
For boots I'm wearing danner Canadians which are only 600 grams. I don't like a big squishy marshmallow boot for the northern MN forest area I hunt. I'd be rolling ankle constantly.

Half assed decent socks and circulation awareness.

I sat in an open metal ladder stand this morning for about 3 hours in 5 to 8 degree temps. Had to get down and walk after 3 hours, I can only do my Lincoln memorial impression for so long.

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A company called RavenWear specializes in extreme cold weather hunting clothes.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Head, hands and feet are more important than jackets and pants IMO. As stupid as these look, they will really help keep your feet warm in the stand. If it's cold enough that I need them, I will strap them to my fanny pack for the walk in. once in the stand I'll put them on and if its really cold I'll throw a hand warmer in each one.

boot blankets

A good hat is a must also. Duluth trading used to offer a beanie that was wool with a fleece liner. Warmest hat (other than fur) I've ever owned. So warm in fact I learned not to walk in wearing it or my hear would be sweaty by the time I got there. I bought 3 of them in case they ever stopped making them, which it looks like they did. frown

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bunny boots. Wore them in Alaska for many years, and they flat out work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The artic shield boot blankets work pretty well. Best thing I’ve found is a camo sleeping bag that I can throw a heater packet in and pull up to just under my armpits.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Baffin Titan boots. Handmuff with hand warmer. Cabela's Berber fleece with Windshear. Layer with merino wool base layers. Pack it all in and don't sweat while walking.

Added: I have used Boot Suits in extreme cold too.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For keeping feet warm also use boot blankets.

Boot blankets in a small back pack. Walk in wearing tennis shoes if no snow. One large hand-warmer tucked into the laces near the toe of each shoe. put the boot blankets over them, stay toasty warm all day long. Tennis shoes actually work better than boots for me.

Also use a hand-warmer muff with two hand-warmers in it to keep hands warm. Wear light turkey hunting gloves.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cv540
For keeping feet warm also use boot blankets.

Boot blankets in a small back pack. Walk in wearing tennis shoes if no snow. One large hand-warmer tucked into the laces near the toe of each shoe. put the boot blankets over them, stay toasty warm all day long. Tennis shoes actually work better than boots for me.

Also use a hand-warmer muff with two hand-warmers in it to keep hands warm. Wear light turkey hunting gloves.

Just curious, where do you live?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For cold hand I will put on a pair of surgical gloves for a barrier and then a pair of hunting gloves. Your hands will sweat but with a insulating layer over them they stay toasty.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Feet- stay dry, insulate, circulation.
For me, when stand hunting in really cold weather, that sometimes means antiperspirant spray, pac boots with felt liners, good wool socks with sock liners, and big enough boots to let the blood flow. Sorel Mavericks are my cold weather sit in a stand boots.

Clothes- heavy base later. I like the poly/wool blends. Then a wool sweater and maybe a fleece or puffy down jacket, then a shell to block wind. A good puffy jacket is stupid warm. My legs are usually gtg with just the base layer and hunting pants. If it’s really cold I put a pair of fleece long johns on over the base layer.

I have bought a couple boxes of the hot hands from Costco over the years. They’re nice to have.

I also have a wool scarf that is great when it’s really cold.

Any decent stocking hat makes my head sweat in short order.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For a jacket, Sitka Kelvin Down Hoody. I have one of those Zippo butane hand warmers. Haven't used it yet. My wool layers are Filson heavyweight top and bottoms with a wool hat (mine are Filson). Boots and socks I can't comment on as my feet naturally get cold easy.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I deer hunt in central Maine stand hunting for deer. Sitting in a stand for 8 to 10 hours straight in 0 to 40 deg heat. I have spent a lot of money on clothing and boots to keep warm but yet I get cold. Planning on a hunt in Manitoba this fall also

With money not being an object what would you recommend for clothes, boots

I grew up in old town and milford, hunted all over penobscot county and t32md and t34md. Just gotta bundle up as best ya can, always gonna get some level of chilled and cold . What about those quick quiet opening full body sleeping bag like suit cacoon things they had or still make??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.