Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I took out a box of 210gr scirocco that I had lying around to try in a 338 wm and it is the first bullet that I cannot get to shoot under an inch. They shoot closer to 2 inches in a rifle that shoots various bullets close to 1/2" at 100m (trued action and match barrel). I know some barrels just do not like some bullets but this barrel shoots anything you put through it.

Is this the norm for sciroccos?

Any ideas?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had the same results with this bullet out of my .308 Win except my groups were even larger than yours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used them in several rifles over the years, both the originals and the newer Scirocco IIs. They all shot right around an inch at best, but that was about what the rifles that I was using grouped with other brands of bullets, as well. It did take a bit more tinkering with powders and seating depth to get the Sciroccos to group well, though.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have them getting a running start .040" in a 6.5x284 and they're all I feed that barrel now.

The first Sciroccos I tried were given to me by a buddy who said " load them like they were a Barnes or GMX, off the lands a fair bit." He was right.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I start them at .050” off and push them back from there. Not uncommon to end up around .100-.125” off with them in some rifles and they will shoot better than an inch.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info about holding them off the lands, I could never get them to shoot in my Tikka that is a tack driver. I'll have to try them again.

Eat moose, burn spruce
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use them in a .257 and .270 Weatherby with good results. Due to the short custom throat of the latter and the long mag box it is possible to load to the lands; but it never really started shooting until I gave it a .180" leap of faith. I don't think that they will ever be a go to accuracy bullet for me, but when they work they work. They are a great penetrator that still hits like a hammer.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think bonded bullets in general are not as accurate as a cup & core esp. a flat base. The Sirocco is in the same class as the VLDs they might want to be jambed or if off the lands way off sometimes. I haven't used them much because of the lengthy load development sometimes needed and the expense but I think they are excellent hunting bullets for both high BC and terminal performance. I also quit once I get to an inch or less groups preferably less for a hunting rifle. As all bullets some barrels will just not shoot them but I think many quit before reaching the sweet spot.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano
I think bonded bullets in general are not as accurate as a cup & core esp. a flat base. The Sirocco is in the same class as the VLDs they might want to be jambed or if off the lands way off sometimes. I haven't used them much because of the lengthy load development sometimes needed and the expense but I think they are excellent hunting bullets for both high BC and terminal performance. I also quit once I get to an inch or less groups preferably less for a hunting rifle. As all bullets some barrels will just not shoot them but I think many quit before reaching the sweet spot.
Exactly my experience and conclusions after using them in several rifles and cartridges, ranging from the .270 Winchester up to .338 Win Mag. There are are more readily available bullets that perform just as well and cost less.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.