-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pile of 6.5mm bullets yet I own no .264 rifle......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank

You run the risk of causing a major rupture of the space-time continuum. You wouldn't want to be responsible for that, would you??

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's another example from my own perilous adventures:

Bought a set of used .280 Remington dies at a gun show around 25 years ago, because I was "thinking" about getting a .280, and the dies were a really good deal. This resulted in a custom lightweight .280, put together by the late Dave Gentry, which was very accurate.

However, a couple years later I decided the rifle could be even more accurate with "upgraded" dies, so spent about 10 times as much as I'd paid for the gun-show dies. The new dies did improve accuracy somewhat, but by then I'd managed to somehow take a number of big game animals with Gentry .280 without any problems. These included what's still my biggest mule deer, and one of my two biggest caribou.

But by golly my .280 was finally the best it could be! By that time, of course, I'd started to get a little bored with it, so sold it to acquire other rifles. Luckily, by then my loonyism had been tempered by a little more rationality, and I still have one of the other rifles acquired, a NULA .30-06, which over the past 20 years has taken more big game than any of my other rifles.

The whole process, however, started with a set of used .280 dies that supposedly saved me a bunch of money.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by FishinHank

You run the risk of causing a major rupture of the space-time continuum. You wouldn't want to be responsible for that, would you??

Working on it

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I think the firearm industry owes our generation big time. Watch the profits fall when the milleniums rule.
We are saviours to the economy.
Because I have more dies than rifles, more bullets than future tags, factory ammo for rifles I don't have and worse still, lots of spare barrels plus powder and primers that can be budgeted copiously until I am 157 years old, that makes me a loony before is became fashionable?

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Well...1st of all, to those I offended by the misspelling of Loony, I apologize. Even though I feel a little vindicated since it is a 2nd spelling, so I'm on the fence on that one.

When I was on this site a few years ago, I bought a good many 284 Win brass and loaded rounds anticipating the day I would have a rifle chambered for it. That ended up in a bitter/sweet relationship as I have one now. Unfortunately, I bought a Win model 100 in the 284 and so far have not been able to get it to eject the spent brass. But, I have another guy looking at it and hope he can get it worked out. If not, I'll have to look for another one.

At this time, I have the dies and brass for a 250 Savage which I have yet to purchase/build. Not being a man of wealth, I picked up a Marlin XS7 this past week with the intentions of changing the 243 to my long awaited 250 Sav.

And, i am not sure how many rifles I have nor how many different chamberings at this time. Not that I have that many, but it is on up in the double digits. Hopefully then, if I haven't reached Loony status yet, maybe it isn't too far down the road.

Thanks, Eddie

I believe that you're well-qualified for Loony status. Enjoy!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Does buying ammo, bullets, and dies to load for someone else count? Just picked up two boxes of 40/82 ammo, a box of cast lead bullets, and a set of dies so I can shoot a Winchester 1886 belonging to a shirttail relative of my wife. Now I have to get tang screws, fore end screws, and a rear sight elevator to finish the gun off.

Guns I have no justifiable use for defines most of the guns I have picked up over the years. Generally, if the price is low enough, the gun is uncommon enough, or no longer has readily available ammo is all the criteria I need. One occasion it has worked out a particular gun became desirable and I realized a tidy profit but more often the gun is traded off on some other oddity.

"Looney" is how I spell the word, probably the result of spending far too much time in and around Canada. I sometimes add an "o" to words like "labour" with an "eh" or "ya know" occasionally tossed in. My wife knows how much time I spent at the local tavern at deer camp- I come home talking like the cast of the movie "Fargo" if I am up there more than a week.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
One of these days, I'm gonna own a 6mm Rem so I can use the two sets of dies I have...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Well...1st of all, to those I offended by the misspelling of Loony, I apologize. Even though I feel a little vindicated since it is a 2nd spelling, so I'm on the fence on that one.

Mark Twain once said that anyone who only knows a single spelling of any particular word suffers from a deplorable lack of imagination!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You no he was rite, two.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks gentlemen. I now know what disease I have and it is one that I don't want to get rid of any time soon. Not that there is a cure for it anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider
You no he was rite, two.

Ewe, not you, sheesh!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got 2 pre -64 model 70`s in 264 win mag.s, I don`t even use them I just keep them for my collection, but sometimes I wonder why don`t I try one for hunting ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have three 264’s, you can’t hunt with more than one at a time. I have four 7 Rem mags too. Damn, I need to sell some!!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by deflave
JB,

If you don't mind, I'm going to take this one...

You are a certified Loony when you purchase dies or components for a chambering you don't yet own.

Another indicator is accepting free ammunition for chambering's you don't own, and then using that free ammunition (regardless of quantity) as a "reason" to purchase another rifle.

Travis

I have done that - but hey, I did shoot up the ammo!

Rick

Life is not a spectator sport, get out and have fun.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Looking back, I can pinpoint the first outbreak of my loonyism. Growing up in the rural South where 'shotguns and dogs' was the traditional and accepted method for deer hunting, I knew no one that owned or used a dedicated deer rifle. We had 22 rifles for plinking and the small stuff and shotguns for everything else.

In the mid 60s when I was still in my early teens, I saw a picture of a new product from Remington in an outdoor magazine. It was a M600 Remington. I knew nothing about rifles, but for some reason I KNEW I had to have one. It would be many years before I could buy one, but eventually I did. I have owned, and still own, many rifles and more than my share of M600s, but that first affliction can be traced directly to that ad for the M600. My friends looked at me as if I was 'loony' when I talked abut the M600 and other centerfires. Their ultimate goal in life was to get a new Remington M1100......

I am a Rifle Loony! I have little regard for shotguns or handguns, using them only when a rifle absolutely cannot be made to do the job properly.

As a follow up, I walked into a local BBQ restaurant a few years ago that had old signs and advertisements plastered all over the walls. Just inside the door was an original poster, about 18"X24", of the first M600 ad(complete with vent rib and 35 Rem, 222, 6mm, etc., calibers). Apparently, it was used to post in gun and outdoor stores back then. I tried everything in my power to buy that poster, but they wouldn't even consider it.

Last edited by Hook; 11/21/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had some 8x57 ammo that I came in a lot of other stuff I bought at an auction. Had to have an 8mm, I bought a Mexican Mauser. but I don't like that Mauser. Bought a bunch of bullets so I have to get another rifle - I need to get a another 8x57! Should I look for a 700 classic or another Mauser or both?? Desperate need for one as soon as possible. Then I'll need to work up loads. Then I'll need to...

Don't have the proper cast bullet mold (AKA mould) , am looking for such. Getting anxious.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Signs of a certifiable loony:

- I wore out my dad's Gun Digest before I started Kindergarten and before I could read. At the time, I thought I needed a Browning .22 Auto. I must have been able to count because I remember MSRP being $350.
-I wore out several copies of Cartridge of the World and Bolt Action Rifles before the age of 10.
-In school, I skipped recess every day to read Jack O'Connor books and peruse the archived American Rifleman copies in the school library.
-As a child, I kept a list of every gun I thought I should own. This list included Matched Ruger 77s in multiple cartridges filling all gaps between .257 and .338, a .375 M70, a .416 Hoffman because of an article George wrote about his cartridge, a double rifle because Craig Boddington led me to believe I needed one. Additionally, Venturino convinced me I needed a collection of Colt SAAs. I also had shotguns, varmint rifles, etc. on the list.
-I dreamed of being the CEO of Remington because at 9, I genuinely believed I could improve Remington's product line.
-I wore out a Ruger Single Six before my 18th birthday.
-Instead of applying high school graduation money to college expenses, I went straight to Gibsons and bought a T/C muzzle loader
-When it came time to get married the only thing of value I had were guns so I had to liquidate a few to buy a ring.
-As a young, commission sales guy, I calculated commissions in terms of how many rifles and shotguns I could buy.
-I bought (and sometime still do some times) perfect rifles for specialized hunts I may never go on. Once I have the rifle dialed in for the non-existent hunt, I sometimes feel I need a spare.
-I sometimes buy a rifle and don't make time to shoot it or mount a scope, two years later, I realize it hasn't been fired and sell it, two years after that, I buy the same rifle again.
-I often find myself with oddball ammo. In years past I would build a gun to fit the ammo. Recently, I was proud of myself in that I sold the ammo at a fire sale price to keep from building a gun.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 11/22/17.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 10mm brass for the yet-to-be-purchased Colt Delta Elite, I have scope bases for rifles that I've never had but might, I have dies so that I can load for my friends' rifles, I have ammo that...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, I've turned up several guns I don't remember buying........BUT, I remember every gun I have sold......I'm resisting a 7MM-08, but I have ammo for it.......284 dies, but no 284......

Ed
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.