Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Labman95
I've heard good things about JES until I saw this post. It's long but worth reading before you make up your mind. Not very good customer service.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/3061008432

How did the rifle shoot before you sent it off for the rebore?.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had JES do a rebore for me, he called me after the rebore told me to use 300 wsm brass not 325 wsm when making 338 wsm ammo. Rifle shoots very well, no complaints.. Now on that thread over on accurate reloading I find it funny ol ray atkinson talking about customer service after he screwed some hunters over on a Cape buffalo hunt several yrs ago. He disappeared for couple yrs after that fiasco he deleted posts, lied etc then ran off with his tail between his legs..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
Originally Posted by Labman95
I've heard good things about JES until I saw this post. It's long but worth reading before you make up your mind. Not very good customer service.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/3061008432

So to summarize that thread, a guy fires some loads he got out of a manual, that were originally tested with commercial brass, using thicker military brass and starts blowing primers.

So knowing from the first rounds he fired that there is some problem with pressure, he continues to shoot the rifle with over pressure loads until he manages to blow it up.

To me, the barrel looks like the effects of a barrel obstruction, but that aside, the guy knew from day one that there was a problem somewhere, either with the rifle or ammo, and continued to fire off rounds, with not even a fleeting thought of taking the rifle to a gunsmith to check it out and find out where the problem lies.

All this is from the poster's statements and assumes that events unfolded exactly how the poster said it did...so there's that... but now he maintains that the rifle blew up because JES screwed up the barrel re-boring and wants JES to fix it, so JES sends him back his action and an original barrel...I can only assume that JES might not have had a lot of patience to deal with this guy beyond that point.

I don't have a dog in the fight, but it's hard not to watch a good train wreck.

Now... what's wrong with that 270?

And he never clarified if he was using factory ammo when he split the barrel.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Had JES take a M3366 30-30 with a bubba'd bore out to 38-55 with the 3 groove rifleing. I use nothing but cast bullets, but this thing is really accurate and cleans easily. He was quick, professional, and he will get more work from me if the right options come up again.

Didn't you kill a deer with that last year? I have a few spare 30/30's around, thinking hard about a 38/55. Do you use Starline brass and don't they come in 2 different lengths?

Thanks

Sure did get a doe last year with the 38-55. Loaded Starline 2.082 length brass with 21gr 4198 and a home cast 250gr bullet. Accurate 38-250B sized to .377, plain based, cast at about 9-10 Bhn. Velocity is about 1440fps. Shot was at less than 30 yards in heavy timber, slightly quartering to me. Bullet took a section of the heavy shoulder bone back through the ribs and left it in the lungs while the bullet continued on it's path and exited in front of the far flank. Doe stumbled less than 25 yards before dropping.
Got another load I'm wanting to try this year, 32 gr. 3031 over the same bullet for 1600+fps. Probably use a slightly harder 14BHN bullet because that's what I've got ready.

Some argue that JES doesn't use the traditional bore size on the 38-55, some of the original Marlins went up over .380. JES uses .3755-.376 or so, not sure exactly his specs. It's a Saami chamber with the slightly smaller bore and groove in case someone wants to use standard .375 jacketed bullets. The bigger bores run into problems with cast bullets because when sizing to .001-.002 over groove size, you "sometimes" end up with the case of a seated bullet being oversize to the chamber and throat depending on how they were sized. At least that's my take on the situation.
Since I'm only running cast on this rifle I went with JES and size everything to match. Works great for me. I'm not necessarily a traditionalist on everything.

See, I knew I remembered you killing a deer with it. Thanks for the info. So to sum it up, his 38-55 is a 375 Winchester that reads 38-55 on the barrel. I'm more than good with that

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've Had JES re-bore and chamber two rifles for me a 9.3x62 bolt gun and a 358 lever Browning. Both shot much better after his work. They are keepers. I always go with 5 grooves and with the 338x06 I would choose a 1-12 twist to stabilize the 250 or heavier longer bullets--- your call on the twist.
He has the rifle back to you in two weeks--- and even sends two fired cases back to you for inspection and to help set dies-who else does that?
get it done before he retires or quits!
Good Hunting
Lj

Last edited by Heavybullets; 11/13/17.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 79S
And he never clarified if he was using factory ammo when he split the barrel.

The guy stated in the thread that he loaded the rifle with a round that he was pretty sure would blow the rifle up, then tied the rifle to a fence post and fired it with a string tied to the trigger because he didn't want to injure his arm.

This is what he claims, but his story doesn't add up.

The barrel looks like the result of a barrel obstruction. I've seen one like that...it had ice in the muzzle...an alternative explanation is that he accidentally blew up his rifle and his story is an attempt to get JES to cough up a new rifle. Now he's calling out JES for poor customer service, because JES says it was his own fault.

To his credit, JES sent him back his action and an original barrel not installed and he's whining on that it's JES's fault for like 400 pages...

I don't know JES at all, but I wouldn't hand this guy a working rifle either, just for safety sake.

Sometimes refusing to do what the customer asks IS good customer service.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I wouldn't even waste a sheit on AR

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had JES take a M3366 30-30 with a bubba'd bore out to 38-55 with the 3 groove rifleing. I use nothing but cast bullets, but this thing is really accurate and cleans easily. He was quick, professional, and he will get more work from me if the right options come up again.

Didn't you kill a deer with that last year? I have a few spare 30/30's around, thinking hard about a 38/55. Do you use Starline brass and don't they come in 2 different lengths?

Thanks

Sure did get a doe last year with the 38-55. Loaded Starline 2.082 length brass with 21gr 4198 and a home cast 250gr bullet. Accurate 38-250B sized to .377, plain based, cast at about 9-10 Bhn. Velocity is about 1440fps. Shot was at less than 30 yards in heavy timber, slightly quartering to me. Bullet took a section of the heavy shoulder bone back through the ribs and left it in the lungs while the bullet continued on it's path and exited in front of the far flank. Doe stumbled less than 25 yards before dropping.
Got another load I'm wanting to try this year, 32 gr. 3031 over the same bullet for 1600+fps. Probably use a slightly harder 14BHN bullet because that's what I've got ready.

Some argue that JES doesn't use the traditional bore size on the 38-55, some of the original Marlins went up over .380. JES uses .3755-.376 or so, not sure exactly his specs. It's a Saami chamber with the slightly smaller bore and groove in case someone wants to use standard .375 jacketed bullets. The bigger bores run into problems with cast bullets because when sizing to .001-.002 over groove size, you "sometimes" end up with the case of a seated bullet being oversize to the chamber and throat depending on how they were sized. At least that's my take on the situation.
Since I'm only running cast on this rifle I went with JES and size everything to match. Works great for me. I'm not necessarily a traditionalist on everything.

See, I knew I remembered you killing a deer with it. Thanks for the info. So to sum it up, his 38-55 is a 375 Winchester that reads 38-55 on the barrel. I'm more than good with that

Not quite, the .375 is much higher pressure and there are some throat differences. I've seen warnings about using full snort 375 loadings in this version. I don't remember the details right now. Nothing wrong with the 38-55 for timber deer hunting though, 250-275 gr cast bullet at up to 1800fps if you really want to. Look up Ken Waters pet loads, Handloader Magazine, May-June, #61. Available online.
Hodgdon lists some loads in their online database as well.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Though irrelevant as he retired some time ago I have three Cliff LaBounty rifle rebores that shoot extremely well. I have been a fan of rebores since 1993 when I put together my 338-06. Given all that I have read I would use JES in a heartbeat.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My Randall Redman rebored pre'64 M/70 in .35 Whelen is one of the most accurate M/70's I have ever owned, it's going whitetail hunting when the Indiana firearms season opens this Saturday. Cliff La Bounty and his successor have rebored two Smith & Wesson M/27's to .44 Special, the first was converted by Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision and the other by Hamilton Bowen.

Last edited by gunswizard; 11/13/17.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Both of my handgun rebores were in 38 WCF. One is a 4" Smith M28 and the other a 6 1/2" Ruger Flattop (former 357 Mag). Both were built by Alan Harton.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Dang. If not JES where to get the barrel re-bored?

Ron Smith from Alberta Canada does excellent work. Had Ron rebore a 300 win mag to 338. He rebored cut the barrel back and rechambered to the 338 Win mag. Nothing leaves his shop unless it's top notch. Also makes custom barrels which I own two.

Should add he also does standard or gain twist rifling. I highly recommend the gain twist

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Dang. If not JES where to get the barrel re-bored?

I have used Jes to rebore several rifles. I have recommended him to several friends. We have all been 100% happy.

As far as the number of grooves I go with whatever Jes recommends.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Ron Smith from Alberta Canada does excellent work. Had Ron rebore a 300 win mag to 338. He rebored cut the barrel back and rechambered to the 338 Win mag. Nothing leaves his shop unless it's top notch. Also makes custom barrels which I own two.

Should add he also does standard or gain twist rifling. I highly recommend the gain twist

I have a candidate for a rebore in my 264 WM not sure exactly what I want yet but looking at the 7mm Wby, 308 Norma or 358 Norma for various reasons. I would be curious to know how much he typically charges, what kind of time frame would be normally involved, also would find it interesting to hear of why you prefer the gain twist barrel over standard rifling?

Gerry.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 2 rebores from JES and They both shoot and work well. Would have him do work for me again. Fair price and quick turn around(no more than 2 weeks).

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jes did a real good job for me...
Wayne York used to do reboring I think..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.