Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm a poor man collector. I buy what I'm collecting at the moment and a couple years later something else will catch my eye and I will sell a few of the old collection to start a new one. So I'm letting a couple go to fund a new start. My clean 1899B is in the 24Cfire classifieds and I know I will regret this but I let a friend post a neat little rifle on the big fun site. I'm not a true Savage collector and it needs to be with a true collector. I'm keeping the rest to hunt with.

Thanks,
Robert

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Please check your PM

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That doesn't add up to a "couple". Am I missing something, or did you already sell the other one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah! and whats the big fun site? i could use some big fun.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's have a link to the big fun sight.

It's legal. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I’m a deer camp on a ridge with a little cell service. The 1899B .303 is on the fire classifieds and my 1899 SRC 25-35 is on GunBroker.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since you mentioned it, what is the reserve on the 25-35? Thanks, RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RAS

Seriously?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LMAO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by RAS

Seriously?

I never look at reserve auctions. Waste of time....for me.

My own personal taste. People that want to do them, that's ok, it's their choice. I ain't knocking them.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I’ve never had that much luck at reserve actions because the reserve is usually more than I care to pay. Of course if y’all remember my SRC it’s not a Julia James level item and I think I have a fair reserve on it for what it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw an auction sight where seller said "Don't ask what reserve is...because it's always ONE BILLION DOLLARS"....

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by RAS

Seriously?

My own personal taste. People that want to do them, that's ok, it's their choice. I ain't knocking them.

I don’t like them either Jim. But if I am pointed to one by the seller, I am always going to ask because of the reason why I don’t like them.

It’s like going to a gun show where a person doesn’t put on prices. I ask them and they tell me to make an offer. I say, “Between a dollar and a million”

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have no issues with asking the price on a reserve. As I've said before an auction is designed to benefit the seller, not the buyer. And a hidden reserve is bait for getting a lot of bids coming in and making the item look more popular, and the potential buyer feeling like there is more competition. Ask for the reserve. The seller can always say no and the buyer can always move on. Its a free world even if the firearm isn't.

PS - I never fall prey to saying that I "won" an auction. I buy things on auction sites, unless I figure the price has gone too high. Then I'm happy to "loose" and keep the money in my pocket.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by diamondjim

The second time that I bid on a reserve on gunbroker and didn't meet the reserve, only to see the gun relisted at the price I bid with no reserve made me swear off them. I'll bid on them once somebody else bids up to the reserve, but I won't waste my time contributing to some sellers trying to figure out their minimum price.

It's seems to be pretty uncommon that I see a reserve auction actually meet it's reserve, so in general I don't think a reserve auction is helping the seller as opposed to just starting it out for the minimum you'll accept. I've always started my sales at the minimum I'll accept, never had a problem with it. Never figure I needed to hide the minimum I wanted from a gun.

Just my opinions, don't count for nuttin more than anybody else's.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love the reserve auctions that don't get met, then the seller relists the gun with no reserve for $100 over his highest previous bid. I'm not wasting my time bidding on a $1500 gun with a $10,000 reserve. Screw them, if they don't want to sell it, I don't want to bid on it. If they want to sell it, they'll either put a price on it, or start it for a penny or at least something reasonable and let the market determine the true value.

If they have a hidden reserve, I figure they're fishing. If they need $500 minimum, start it at $500 w/o a hidden reserve. Hidden reserve auctions are for game players, not gun sellers.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/20/17.

LOL
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I agree, game playing waste of time. Looked for the src on Gunbroker, but didnt see it. Anybody have a gb number?

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I didn't live in California I'd be interested in the sellers Colt Officer's Match 22.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I like an absolute auction. Otherwise, I like a seller who puts a price on the item in question. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.