Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Now if we can just get bow hunters to punch tags for non-recovered deer.............

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Would any of you even consider a whitetail hunt on free ranging deer with an outfitter with a draw blood policy? In other words draw blood and aren't able to recover the deer and you're done hunting, pack your stuff and leave camp. I'm not talking about a high fence operation here rather free ranging fair chase deer that are property of the state.

Done hunting yes, leave camp and accommodations...no

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Now if we can just get bow hunters to punch tags for non-recovered deer.............

If they're on an outfitted hunt, as the OP described, they would be held to same standard.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Would any of you even consider a whitetail hunt on free ranging deer with an outfitter with a draw blood policy? In other words draw blood and aren't able to recover the deer and you're done hunting, pack your stuff and leave camp. I'm not talking about a high fence operation here rather free ranging fair chase deer that are property of the state.

As far as I know, that's how most outfitters run things. It's the law in most states and outfitters can lose their licenses if they disobey it. Also, the client pays the outfitter to help him hunt. There has to be a standard for the outfitter's performance, and in this case that standard is that the client gets a shot at an animal. You can't hold the outfitter responsible for a client's bad shooting.

That said, I could see the outfitter making an exception out of the goodness of his heart if something unusual happened, say if a pack of dogs or coyotes pushed the animal onto land where hunters had no right to enter in pursuit. I could also see that same guide making you wait until everyone else in camp had tagged out before you got another chance.

Frankly, I'd be suspicious of an outfitter than let clients wound as much game as they wanted.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Even if I wasn’t guided i wouldn’t keep shooting if i had already put a bullet in something. That’s poor taste in the ethical and moral department to wound and move on to try it again.
Shot a deer on Kodiak once but before we got to it a brown bear ran thru and grabbed it up. Punched that tag even though never laid hands on it.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sounds fair to me, wound an animal, it counts as a kill. It’s that way on our lease.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never done a guided hunt, but isn't this a pretty standard rule?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I went on an elk hunt with those rules.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Every hunter should have that mindset. Otherwise, I think it's called slob hunters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would you be hunting instead of looking for the deer you shot anyhow?

But, yes, that rule would be more than fine by me.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been an outfitter, but have been severely frustrated by some buddies that I helped with their hunts. Such a policy would have saved me days of effort.

1Minute
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Steelhead

If they're on an outfitted hunt, as the OP described, they would be held to same standard.

I know a couple of outfitters here in Montana that take bow hunters.If they wound an elk or deer,then that is their tag. It may make the hunters think about taking marginal shots.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Done hunting yes, leave camp, no. Do they have to leave camp after successfully tagging out? don't understand that part.

As any outfitter, what's their #1 complaint about client hunters, bet you more often than not, it's shooting ability. If it's a western hunt, probably toss up shooting ability of physical condition.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you've paid thousands for the trip, you'd better reconsider that 600 yard shot that so many brag about. Be a hunter and get closer. Pass on the trick shot that has wounded so many animals.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Done hunting yes, leave camp, no.

I should have put a caveat on my initial response. I can't see being made to leave camp.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you've paid thousands for the trip, you'd better reconsider that shot at a moving deer that so many take. Be a hunter and get that critter to stop. Pass on the trick shot that has wounded so many animals.

Fixed it for you.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So you're O.K. if in spite of your best efforts the deer is not recovered you're done?
Absolutely! I'm the same way on the ground I own and will hold my kids to that standard regarding their one buck tag.

I also agree with the folks that one shouldn't have to leave the camp/accomodations, but no more hunting is fine by me.

You going to regale us with the tale that spurned this flurry of posting activity?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hope your disappointment with the outfitter didn't affect your tip to the guide. He did his job, you messed up yours.
Tips are an important part of their pay, don't screw him because you missed.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Don’t be cheap!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
[quote=gunswizard]
You going to regale us with the tale that spurned this flurry of posting activity?

I don't think the OP got the initial response he was anticipating. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.