Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Would any of you even consider a whitetail hunt on free ranging deer with an outfitter with a draw blood policy? In other words draw blood and aren't able to recover the deer and you're done hunting, pack your stuff and leave camp. I'm not talking about a high fence operation here rather free ranging fair chase deer that are property of the state.

Why hunt with a guide? All your doing is shooting an animal you were led by the nose too by someone else..lol.....No thanks, that aint for me....Hb

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'm not paying any outfitter to hunt any animal. sorry but i'm very happy with the animals i hunt at home.

How long does your deer hunting season last (with firearm) there in VA? Isn't it like 7 days?
rifles season goes for 2 weeks from Nov 18th-Dec 2nd West of the Blue Ridge and last much longer East of the Blue Ridge, hence the very low chance of killing a quality buck.....Not to mention a 2 week early muzzleloader season that runs from Nov 4th -Nov 17th, and with 2 or 3 buck tags for every hunter a buck has mighty little chance of ever reaching maturity in Virginia ........Hb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
i'm not paying any outfitter to hunt any animal. sorry but i'm very happy with the animals i hunt at home.

How long does your deer hunting season last (with firearm) there in VA? Isn't it like 7 days?
rifles season goes for 2 weeks from Nov 18th-Dec 2nd West of the Blue Ridge and last much longer East of the Blue Ridge, hence the very low chance of killing a quality buck.....Not to mention a 2 week early muzzleloader season that runs from Nov 4th -Nov 17th, and with 2 or 3 buck tags for every hunter a buck has mighty little chance of ever reaching maturity in Virginia ........Hb

Yep, the state seems to want quantity or quality these days.
I'm on the southern side of Montgomery County[2 week rifle] but can drive 5 miles south to Floyd co and gain 2 more weeks of rifle.
This was also Montg. co's first EAB season.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's a big world - you should consider experiencing some of it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As he has aged, a friend of mine started signing up for deeded land guided deer/elk here in Oregon. I'll admit the guy is not the most composed in the world when game appears, and he got what he thought was a rude awakening. On his first outing he missed a shot at a running elk and the guide immediately cleared out to go work with other clients. Seems the fine print guaranteed him a shot, so the outfitter had fulfilled his end of the bargain. He was allowed to continue hunting, but had to use his rigs and equipment.

I'm surprised that folks were allowed to continue on their own given the potential of getting in the way of other paying clients.

Given my experience with him on standing game, my response was "one should never have tried on a running elk to begin with."

Last edited by 1minute; 12/07/17.

1Minute
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Now if we can just get bow hunters to punch tags for non-recovered deer.............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
No problem for me.

Between the OPs last two posts I'm guessing there's a story from this weekend (probably Saturday) that's not been told.
Still no full accounting of how this all happened from the OP...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have that policy on everything from $2500 antelope hunts to insanely expensive sheep hunts. We have a limited resource that we manage extensively and we make it abundantly clear that drawing blood means that’s your animal and we will hunt for that animal for the duration of your hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m curious as to what the story is behind the post....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I’m curious as to what the story is behind the post....

You and me both!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seems chitty marksmanship and butthurt go hand in hand.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
That’s why you shoot the animal in the shoulders. They are dead right there.

Hmm.. we trailed for 3 hours with my dog on a shoulder shot deer last sunday night.. that deer is still walking... had he punched him in the lungs in the crease the buck would have been dead and we would not have even been called...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mdv1state
Do y'all count crippled/lost ducks in your limit?

I do. Most don't. If I wing one and it sails off, thats a dead bird whether I find it or not. Same with other birds.

I"ve seen a warden issue a ticket to a guy for not doing it to. I"m not overly happy with that, I don't think it was right personally.

But ethics are a personal thing.

Wonder how many folks have found a dead bird ... duck, probably close to 3/4 mile away, but with the help of my lab obviously, actually it was wounded but we recovered it. My buddy says you'll never find him... LOL watch us. We've managed geese even further out. I"ve wasted hours of time according to one buddy, looking for bird a few times, ones I KNOW had to be in a certain area..... Warden even complimented me once, as they had watched with a spotting scope...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22
seems chitty marksmanship and butthurt go hand in hand.....

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

LOL !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If you never found him, How do you know he was hit in the shoulder?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you didn't recover it, how do you know it was hit in the shoulder?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes.

My brother has a co-worker who bow hunts our family farm. Every year he woulds at least one buck and just keeps hunting. Makes me ill.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SKane

Could only imagine how happy you would be Scotty if you killed something someone else did point out for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by SKane

Could only imagine how happy you would be Scotty if you killed something someone else did point out for you.

Rat-killer; I think I know what you're trying to say, but, ***SHOCKER ALERT*****, you phugged it up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mdv1state
Do y'all count crippled/lost ducks in your limit?

Not much of a waterfowl hunter but I count upland game birds that I drop towards my limit.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.