Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
How long do you search for wounded deer that is leaving little to no blood trail in spite of having been knocked down and stayed down after the shot yet got up and ran off? How about in the rain when the blood trail is being washed away?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I trail until I can't get a bearing anymore and then try a grid search. Rain? Push him hard immediately.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No blood? Sounds like you hit a horn. Little blood, top of back maybe? Shock temporarily stunned him. WAG.

Around here, go downhill to water.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it got up after a prolonged knock-down, I'd back off and let it lie, rain or no rain. Then grid search with a compass. I want the deer to lay down, stiffen up, and bleed out, not run into the next zip code because I keep jumping it. Just my take.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is a big difference between little and no blood trail. I'm with JPro at this point and would wait. The rain wash is already done. If doing over, push after it ASAP in the rain.

It is probably too late but a look for cut hair and for any blood or hair on the exit side where the deer was hit helps with clues as to where the deer was hit. No exit probably means less blood trail. You have to know the exact spot where the deer was when hit, which is always worth noting/marking just in case something like this happens. The caliber, bullet, position of the deer and distance should give a pretty good idea as to whether the bullet exited. I'd say sight picture at the shot should be a major clue but it won't be for many of us. Knowing where it was hit is a major factor in whether to push or wait. If that's unknown, wait.

And of course, where legal and available, a dog is the best tracker.

Once bumped, I'd leave it at least a couple of hours before pushing it again. If late in the day, leave it till morning if the weather is cold. If the weather is warm, saving the meat is likely a lost cause. I tracked a buck for almost 8 hours for a friend who had to work, that he had hit the evening before. Microscopic blood trail at times. The buck was warm and had died not long before I found it about 2:00 pm the day after it was hit. The meat was fine.

Last edited by Okanagan; 11/20/17.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It’s just hard to say one way or another. I was involved in a rodeo last year and a watched my buddy make a perfect hit on a buck. Not sure what happened bullet failure or something else but we just couldn’t find the buck after two days of hard searching. It was almost mind blowing we couldn’t find it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Guessing you won't need to worry about processing fees?

Sounds like a CNS shocker shot to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
GFY dickweed.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
GFY dickweed.

Did you say that in your best dressed at church Christian voice?

See, there is a bright side, you didn't have to pay to get it processed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depending on the particulars, I will look a couple days if need be. Done it before.

If I can't find any blood and am not sure about where the crosshairs were, I will look for 20 or so minutes...unless there's snow then I will follow the tracks a few hundred yards to see if there's any sign of a hit.

One thing I NEVER do is push a deer that I think or know is marginally hit. Rain or not. Let him calm down and bed. He'll stiffen up and likely die if the hit was fatal. If you push him, he'll just keep moving.

One thing I ALWAYS do if a critter drops instantly is be ready for 2-3 minutes. IME when they drop like that they're just stunned (excepting CNS or backbone shots) and they'll often get back to their feet and lead you into no man's land.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, drop at the shot deer always trouble me and I'm ready to go right the fugg now with them.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You are on ignore so feel free to post all the azzinine juvenile stuff you like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by gunswizard
GFY dickweed.

Did you say that in your best dressed at church Christian voice?

See, there is a bright side, you didn't have to pay to get it processed.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Grid search when blood runs out. I try to let deer lay for a while before I go look for him if he runs. I shoit them in the shoulders so they don’t run too far.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After last Saturday the deer don’t have to run far, let alone downhill, to find water around here...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's all up and down around here, so deer run to the bottom for water when wounded. This is a bear I called in for a buddy, he wounded it, and it ran to the bottom. Two finishing shots at a few feet away as it laid behind a log waiting for us!

[Linked Image]

LOL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im sorry Fireball2 but I dont see a bear in your photo.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jericho
Im sorry Fireball2 but I dont see a bear in your photo.....

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

[Linked Image]

Those are the quarters and loose meat in bags. We took the hide, head and gear out the day before.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/20/17.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am a big believer in if it is still breathing, I am still shooting.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I am a big believer in if it is still breathing, I am still shooting.

I agree with that. If one drops at the shot, but is still giving a tail flicker 20 seconds later, I'm going to shoot again. 5- 10 seconds seems pretty normal for one to stop moving/twitching, but waiting too long just lets a wounded animal get its wits and strength back together. If it picks its head up any after it drops, or tries to push with a leg, I'm shooting again.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 70 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.