Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I picked up four boxes from a message board in .257 diameter 85 grain. They are a deep HP with deep grooves and solid copper. Apparently they are supposed to break apart at the grooves and not exit. For my feral hog control work I though this would be perfect, especially in the HOA where the shooting takes place in a high dollar neighborhood. Anyone try these bullets?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have used the 17 caliber ones some. So far they work as advertised. These seem like a more frangible version of the raptor bullets. Even the 17s will give you pass through on smaller game. I would suspect the 25 caliber version would also give a pass through some of the time. I hope to give these a try on deer if I get loads worked up this season.

I think this could be the ticket for South Texas where it is nice to keep them out of the brush. I hate the term "energy dump" but that is what these bullets appear to do.

In reading the reviews it appears the only negative ones were for the 300 BO and that review claimed they had a narrow velocity window. Could be true at lower velocities but I will load this full tilt and I bet they will work fine. If you don't like them PM me and I'll take them off your hands, but I bet you will like them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
My 25 caliber versions will be here soon, should I push them as fast as safely possible or is there a velocity spread for best performance?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
So the bullets arrived yesterday and today I am testing them. I seated them using the same setting my seater die is set for the 117 Hornady SPBT. I am loading them in Hornady Superformance brass after having pulled the bullets and dumping out the powder, chamfering and then charging them with powder. I began with 42.0 and 43.0 grains of WC852 a surplus powder that has two different burn rates, this version approximates H380. I generally charge two cases at a time when working up a load. The first two were .75 apart with no pressure signs, the second two were 1 inch apart with no pressure signs. It was beginning to rain and in reality I am trying to get near max and not really shooting groups. I did correct POI though to 1 inch high at 100 yards. In my backstop of damp dirt penetration far exceeds what I was getting with the Hornady bullet. The last two fired with 44.0 grains of WC852 were in the same group as the 43.0 grain load and the 4 shot group is still right a 1 inch. Think I will stick with 44.0 grains and shoot a couple of three shotters with it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I decided to shoot two of the resized cartridges and the last four that I had just used the factory cases with the powder charge and bullets replaced. The first two were the resized cases and the bullets were touching. All 6 rounds clustered right into an inch. So load developement is done. My best guestimation as to velocity is certainly 3100 fps and maybe a bit more. Hopefully before too long there will be a terminal performance test on a hog or a deer. I don't think this is the short penetrating load I am looking for to use around the HOA for feral hog control.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Any use on animals yet? Interested in these for my 25-06

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not yet going to the lease Monday.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The barrier breaker may be the one or some of the others from the Hog thread. Can't wait to try some on deer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.