-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chipping boxes. A bad damned job if you ever did it.
[bleep] chasers.
I agree with S-Head on Buckwheat in a head lock. Got to love it!

Almost forgot.. Poontane.πŸ‘€ πŸ˜†πŸ‘

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been a fun thread.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=GeoW]Chipping boxes. A bad damned job if you ever did it.

GeoW,

It would be interesting to hear more about "chipping boxes".

I believe it has something to do with skinning pine trees as part of the turpentine business.
Did you participate in this activity?

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tried it a for a short time, that and pulpwooding. It was offered to me as it was the family farm and the turpentine man had run off with a hussey, left his wife and kids..

Didn't take long to find out the gum spirits of turpentine (tar) business was not for me. Dad is probably still chuckling at me from that experience.

Ditto pulpwooding in the swamp and ty-ty bay.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Instead of baggies, Wax Paper sandwich bags.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Reading this has been fun... remember so much of what has been posted...

As few I can think of that I haven't seen...

Candy Cigarettes...wouldn't those fly nowadays...

One I know, no one posted and maybe it only applied to us southern boys...
Attending Segregated Schools...

I never attended school with black kids, until I was in the 6th grade, when the old man
was transferred to England in 1963...except 1959, in Albany GA where the Klan burnt
down the local black school, so they put them in our school... but blocked off an area for
the black kids to attend....we weren't to cross that line they put in the main hallway..
The black kids couldn't use the cafeteria to eat at all... guess they just brought their lunch
and ate in the class room..
they weren't allowed to use the playground, and recess wasn't at the same time for them
as the rest of us... they had a field that was bulldozed next to the school.. that was their play
ground...that was for like half the school year..

our buses would pass the black kids waiting for the bus... It delivered all the white kids to
school, and then went out and got the black kids...

My happiest memories was going to West Virginia to visit grandparents and Aunts & Uncles
who still owned farms in those days...

small hand pump on the kitchen counter by the sink for water...drank water out of a laddle
dipped in a bucket.. even when they got running water, the old timers always said it tasted
better coming out of the pump and drank in a laddle...

Folks loving unpasteurized milk, with the cream etc floating in it...

Recently talked to my cousin who is three months younger than me...I told him my favorite time
as a kid was coming down to spend a week at his farm.... he told me his favorite time was for
my and my brother to come visit him.... in his family was him and his older sister Judy.... he had
to do a whole long list of chores daily...

when me and my brother came to visit, not only were we thrilled to do all of his chores..me and my
brother would fight over to do every chore he hated to do....
he got to boss us around, instead of his dad bossing him around over the chores...

Aunt Jo had a gas stove, but still preferred to cook on her old 12 burner cast iron stove.. down
there we got to drink coffee at breakfast as kids... and shoot my cousins 22s...at anything almost we
wanted to....Aunt Jo use to use the gas stove for cooking things quick... kinda like what folks use a
microwave for nowadays.....

almost all of our relatives had the old farm houses, which still used outhouses.. I remember when
Aunt Jo and Uncle Richard invited the entire family over to see her new indoor bathroom, with
plumbing and all... and an electric heater... all of our relatives heated their house with old coal
burning stoves...

Uncle Richard taking us for a ride down to the saw mill him and his brother Jack owned...
a ride in the bucket on his tractor.. about 5 or 6 miles down the road... No seat belts in that
one...and then climbing up and jumping down in the sawdust...

several winters of riding a sled off the mountain side or down the dirt road off the mountain..
with me on the bottom, my cousin Jim on top of me, and my brother on top of him...

and flying down the road, and come around a curve, to find several of my Uncles cows in the
middle of the road.. jerking off the down hill side of the road, to miss the cow, and then having
to navigate going off a forested mountain side, dodging trees.. until we went crashing into
the creek....coming out soaked head to toe, where it was like 20 degrees outside.. so it froze
and we went back to the farm house, stiff as boards...

Aunt Jo had us strip off, and then her taking our clothes out to the clothes line and beating the
ice off of them.. and then ironing them with an old cast iron, Iron she would set on the pot belly
stove or the 12 burning kitchen stove .. and hour or so later
they were dry, and we put them right back on... and were off riding the sled down the mountain side
once again...

we sure had a hell of a lot more fun in those days, than kids do nowadays...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

β€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

GEO W....

Reckon POOTANE and POONTANG are the same thing....except POONTANE was a little further back..

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How about the fat guy with ass crack that changed the tubes in your TV and robbed you blind.........

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When we bought most, if not all local.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ink wells on the school desks. They went unused for us, ballpoints were just coming in.
We learned with cartridge fountain pens. They were cleaner than the refillable type. Those things were why us lefties wrote upside down - to keep from dragging our hand through the wet ink.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One I know, no one posted and maybe it only applied to us southern boys...
Attending Segregated Schools...

I never attended school with black kids, until I was in the 6th grade, when the old man
was transferred to England in 1963...except 1959, in Albany GA where the Klan burnt
down the local black school, so they put them in our school... but blocked off an area for
the black kids to attend....we weren't to cross that line they put in the main hallway..
The black kids couldn't use the cafeteria to eat at all... guess they just brought their lunch
and ate in the class room..
they weren't allowed to use the playground, and recess wasn't at the same time for them
as the rest of us... they had a field that was bulldozed next to the school.. that was their play
ground...that was for like half the school year..

our buses would pass the black kids waiting for the bus... It delivered all the white kids to
school, and then went out and got the black kids...

...and they wonder why the blacks were in favor of M L King's revolution?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1951 the Washington state tax tokens went out of circulation. They were an Aluminum coin with a hole in the center.

I was born in 1951, and could see many places my father used tax tokens as washers.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I grew up in suburban Atlanta. Started first grade in 1956. Schools were segregated, never saw a black kid in school until integration started in 1966, when I was in 11th grade.

Our teachers in grade school were a bunch of unreconstructed Southern Belles. I can still remember Miss Causey, in 4th grade, telling the class of what a terrible thing that Mr. Lincoln ended slavery, because the colored folks had it good under slavery, they all had good jobs and a nice little cabin to live in.
Also I remember Miss Cofield in fifth grade had us sing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJZ12iMzvQ

All of us little white kids would stand by the desk, we knew the song by heart, and we would sing.
When we got to the part that said "Pick a bale of cotton" we all bent over and spun our hands around real fast, like we were picking cotton.
Then when we sang "Oh, Lordy" we raised our hands over our heads and shook our hands.

Somehow, I don't think the kids at Ashford Park School are singing "Pick a Bale of Cotton" today.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Originally Posted by wabigoon
For us old gaffers, do any remember flashlight batteries that had the paper tube on them? School lunch milk in half pint glass bottles, with a paper cap?

Any more? Maybe the young bucks on the 'fire, will lean a few things about the ancient days?

In first grade 1956 we had milk 3 cents in a glass bottle.
We said grace before eating.

Both of those were gone in 1957.

I was in 1st grade in 1953... Our teacher was so old, that the next year they invented cheese.. But yep - milk bottles (glass) with the paper insert on top.. Coke at the drug store was .10 cents - and that was for a 'large'.. Fuel oil was between 10-12 cents/gallon - delivered.. The only radios in vehicles was AM... Postage stamps for a letter cost .03...

Our home phone number was only 3 digits - and it was on a party line with 7 other families.. What a pita.. If I wanted to call the shop in Hudson I hadda get the operator and ask for "Hudson number 9"...

Unreal..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Party lines existed in my area as late as 1985.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cereal bags made of waxed paper, that you could reliably open without vise grips.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by denton
Cereal bags made of waxed paper, that you could reliably open without vise grips.

And even with the Vise Grips, you still sling most of the cereal around the room when the bag finally tears.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Quart cans of motor oil that you had to pierce open with a spout. Damn things always leaked.

And were made of foil lined paper.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I drove a Model A and on really cold winter nights, before I went to bed, I'd go outside and start the old rattle trap. Let it run for a couple of minutes and then use the manual choke to kill the engine. That would leave a little gas on top of the cylinder heads and the next morning it would start right up. Worked like a charm!

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I grew up in suburban Atlanta. Started first grade in 1956. Schools were segregated, never saw a black kid in school until integration started in 1966, when I was in 11th grade.

Our teachers in grade school were a bunch of unreconstructed Southern Belles. I can still remember Miss Causey, in 4th grade, telling the class of what a terrible thing that Mr. Lincoln ended slavery, because the colored folks had it good under slavery, they all had good jobs and a nice little cabin to live in.
Also I remember Miss Cofield in fifth grade had us sing this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSJZ12iMzvQ

All of us little white kids would stand by the desk, we knew the song by heart, and we would sing.
When we got to the part that said "Pick a bale of cotton" we all bent over and spun our hands around real fast, like we were picking cotton.
Then when we sang "Oh, Lordy" we raised our hands over our heads and shook our hands.

Somehow, I don't think the kids at Ashford Park School are singing "Pick a Bale of Cotton" today.

What a strange song to sing in a classroom environment.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.