Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I deer hunt in central Maine stand hunting for deer. Sitting in a stand for 8 to 10 hours straight in 0 to 40 deg heat. I have spent a lot of money on clothing and boots to keep warm but yet I get cold. Planning on a hunt in Manitoba this fall also

With money not being an object what would you recommend for clothes, boots

Well, you've been warned in the past about all the designer szchit.
Get yourself a Heater Body Suit and be done with the cold.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought an inexpensive sleeping bag from Walmart, took it to a seamstress and had it cut down so that it only comes to my waist. Put an elastic drawcord in it.

I've found it easy to pack into a small compression sack, easy to carry and very warm in the stand.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
^^ could see that working for me, esp if I had hand slots below the draw cord so I could keep my hands inside too.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep my hands in my pants. There is always something warm in there....

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Masters of pocket billiards.

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Heavy weight Under Armor as a base layer, thermal henley shirt, fleece or sherpa vest and wool outer layer. Chemical toe warmers, merino wool socks and insulated boots. Chemical handwarmers and fingerless gloves with loose fitting outer gloves. Fleece balaclava and knit orange stocking cap. Work well for me unless the weather gets colder than the lower teens and I'm sitting out all day. I use a small propane heater if I am in a pop-up or box blind.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you're sitting still in below 20 temps, with no heater. You will eventually be cold no matter what clothing you buy.
Best possible thing is layer layer layer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by andrews1958
I deer hunt in central Maine stand hunting for deer. Sitting in a stand for 8 to 10 hours straight in 0 to 40 deg heat. I have spent a lot of money on clothing and boots to keep warm but yet I get cold. Planning on a hunt in Manitoba this fall also

With money not being an object what would you recommend for clothes, boots

Well, you've been warned in the past about all the designer szchit.
Get yourself a Heater Body Suit and be done with the cold.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

https://heaterbodysuit.com/

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It really depends on how cold you think cold is. Us northerners chuckle at the southerners for what they think cold is. However, Canadians laugh at us for what we think cold is!

Lots of good info here so far. I will add a few tips. Gaiters help keep feet warm and putting one of those foam seat cushions under your feet helps a lot too. I used to go with a lot of wool, but have found that mostly down/down blend (like Primaloft) and a little wool is a better combination for me. as many have mentioned, nothing too tight. And like Northern Dave said, make sure you arent compressing your clothing and creating tight spots....Dave knows cold where he hunts! Lastly, neck gaiters and facemasks help a lot. Dont have anything except your eyeballs open to the cold.

This year it was a long sleeve merino tshirt and 2 layers of Primaloft with vest over the top. Temps were down to 9 degrees at the lowest, but the coldest day was about 28 with a stiff wind.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of good info here.
My favorite time to bow hunt is the week between Christmas and New Years. The woods have calmed down from the long season of upland and deer hunters stomping around. It can get very cold during that time and just hitting 0 is a nice day.
A few things I do is stock up on the small hand warmers. My wife sewed little pockets into a couple thermal turtleneck pullovers. Two in the back over my kidneys, two over my belly and two over my upper chest. I put one under my hat, a couple in my mitts and in my boots. I use about a dozen a day. If you can keep your head,hands, feet and core warm you will stay warm. Jon-e warmers work but they stink.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Berettaman
putting one of those foam seat cushions under your feet helps a lot too.

This is very good and often overlooked - particularly when feet are in contact with the metal platform of a stand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, and yes, ...BT/DT

Didn't wanna go this Route, but finally did and ain't looking back...

https://www.klymit.com/ksb-0-synthetic-realtreer-xtra-sleeping-bag.html

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
...and read this as I'm 30' in a Climber.

Was Wonky the First Time, and feel naked after that ( then I start thinking about the Snuggie Infomercial )

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Heat loss thru your head and your feet are major contributers to feeling cold. A good hat and a thermal barrier under your feet are especially important. For years I worked standing on my feet on cold concrete, standing on something other than concrete eased the fatigue. It did not need to be padded, a piece of plywood worked as well as an expensive rubber mat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dooger
Originally Posted by cv540
For keeping feet warm also use boot blankets.

Boot blankets in a small back pack. Walk in wearing tennis shoes if no snow. One large hand-warmer tucked into the laces near the toe of each shoe. put the boot blankets over them, stay toasty warm all day long. Tennis shoes actually work better than boots for me.

Also use a hand-warmer muff with two hand-warmers in it to keep hands warm. Wear light turkey hunting gloves.

Just curious, where do you live?

Wisconsin. Temps in teens this works well. Temps in single digits are more of a challenge, will go to insulated boots then but still put the boot blanket over them. Below zero and it is tough to sit for more than a couple hours. As other posters have mentioned, layers under jacket and insulated pants are also needed.

Years back I bought some type of foot powder and spice mixture that was supposed to help keep feet warm. I was pretty dubious of it so only bought one packet. Seemed to help, but can't remember what it was called. Anyone know of it?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Boots......Northern Outfitters. Worn them in below zero and in bare feet, which is how they recommend you wear them. Bulky and funny looking and not made for long walking but you'll sit all day in them. They don't show them on their website for some reason but I would call them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm an all day in the stand kind of guy and years ago I decided that I would buy the best cold weather outfit that I could find. That was back in the days when Eddie Bauer sold mountaineering clothing so I bought an orange Kara Korm down parka and pant set which is the same stuff that they use on Mount Everest type climbs. Both pieces go into a stuff sack and that goes into a bigger pack along with my Ice Breaker over boots. I've got the Boot Blankets too, but I don't like those as well as the Ice Breakers because the Ice Breakers have quiet zippers instead of Velcro closures. For warm boots I'm wearing the Muck Arctic Pro boots with one pair of Smartwool socks. The watch out getting boots larger than normal for circulation is that they move around and rub a blister on the back of your foot if you need to walk very far. The key is not to dress so warmly walking in that you sweat because that evaporation will cool you down fast if you don't wear a wicking first layer. Cotton will kill you because it holds so much moisture against your skin. Wool has the same heat retention qualities wet or dry, so that should be your second layer.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1moredeer, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.